What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Commercial / Cash Crop strains nowadays

farm3r

Just curious what are some commercial or cash crop cultivars nowadays?

9 weeks or less
yield
quality (aroma, taste)
potency

Are some of the old timers cash crop strains still popular among cannabis users now? I wonder if people would still smoke old clasic stuff like AK47, Blockhead or Sweet Tooth, etc... in the sea of OG Kushes, Cookies, and poly hybrids gone wild.

I haven't gone to a dispensary in a while, but what are you guys seeing flying off the shelf?

Great cash cropper strains from back then.
Sour Bubble

Blockhead
Sweet Tooth #3

SSH
C99
AK47
Romulan
Blue Dream

grayeyes

Sorry Farm,

Like most I do not visit dispensaries. I grow much better stuff.

Have fun throwing your money out.

asher1er

Veteran
that all depends on your clientele bro. Im willing to bet if the old school stuff is grown right and comes out how it should you will have no problem selling it. I can tell you one thing tho, when the streets are flooded with one thing it always pays to be that guy with something different.. :tiphat: :joint:

farm3r

that all depends on your clientele bro. Im willing to bet if the old school stuff is grown right and comes out how it should you will have no problem selling it. I can tell you one thing tho, when the streets are flooded with one thing it always pays to be that guy with something different.. :tiphat: :joint:

Yeh I concur regarding standing out from the crowds. Maybe the new smokers need a lesson in how awesome old school stuff still are.

JetLife175

Veteran
So where I’m at in SoCal these seem to be the major commercial strains around at the moment. They tick all boxes when scrogged and trained

Purple punch
Wedding cake (certain cuts/phenos)
Apple fritter
Mendo Breath
Original Glue #4

If I was to pick two off that list it would be the glue definitely and between punch and mendo breath. The mendo yields a bit more but for some reason people love the punch more. Such is life.

farm3r

So where I’m at in SoCal these seem to be the major commercial strains around at the moment. They tick all boxes when scrogged and trained

Purple punch
Apple fritter
Mendo Breath
Original Glue #4

If I was to pick two off that list it would be the glue definitely and between punch and mendo breath. The mendo yields a bit more but for some reason people love the punch more. Such is life.

Haha. Like I said, a sea of OG, Cookies, and Poly Hybrids gone wild. Don't people know that there's another world of interesting smoke beside these?

Happy Times

Just a few from the menu of a local dispensary that I like. Haven’t been there much lately cause the outdoor has been drying!

No idea what their best sellers are

C99
Skywalker OG
Cookies and Cream
French Bread
Buddha Tahoe OG
Amnesia Haze
Ghost Train Haze
Jack Herer
Cataract Kush

Just from the thread title Glue came to mind

Back in the day around 2000 we used to run Grimm’s Rosetta Stone as our cash crop. That was some good stuff! Frosty, pretty chunky, and a thumping stone. I think we’d take her around 56 days indoor

Red October

Iron cindy gets a load a good reviews and it looks like it increases the yield from just c99, Johnny blaze f2 X c99 from BH also gets rave reviews

JetLife175

Veteran
Haha. Like I said, a sea of OG, Cookies, and Poly Hybrids gone wild. Don't people know that there's another world of interesting smoke beside these?

Never said these are my personal preferences.

In my personal opinion every single line you mentioned is rather bland and uninteresting in every way save for ssh and Cindy.

To each their own. I’ll stick with my OG, stay higher than most, and get higher prices than most.

Brother Nature

It seems like any other market these days, you buy into what sells, if sales are your game. You want a franchise, buy a few McDonalds, want to sell computers, hook up with Apple. The best places to look would be Instagram, Leafly, this site, etc... see what people are talking about and grow that. Seems like Cookies and Glue lines are where it's at these days, but I bet if you could grow something more interesting and market it better than those guys, you'd be onto something. It's a legal market now, it's all about the spin.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor

Purple punch
Apple fritter
Mendo Breath
Original Glue #4

The purple punch and wedding cakes are so last year. This seems to be the year of the lemon.

How's those OG beans coming Jetlife?

need4weed

Veteran

Agreed people get caught up with names and bag appeal. I often slip in some old school hear like romulan, G13, chem 91 and they always rave about it.