What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sexing question

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
If those seeds are from the same mother I would say the plant on the right is a male and the one on the left is a female. Females tend to spend a lot of early productivity on making roots to anchor the plant to handle a heavy load of flowers. Males on the other hand spend their early productivity above the ground for a lighter load of flowers.

That works sometimes, but not all the times. If you grow numbers big enaugh of any strain you will find individuals that don't fit the rule on both sexes. So it's best to wait and see.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
That works sometimes, but not all the times. If you grow numbers big enaugh of any strain you will find individuals that don't fit the rule on both sexes. So it's best to wait and see.
Absolutely!

OTOH, it is nice to have a "clue" to watch for in the early stages as those plants are still babies!

praxis13

What's next?

What's next?

Hi,

The insight here has been great, thank you. So many questions I have to ask but I'll try to keep it straightforward. Here is the latest pic. I'm thinking that the tall one is the male? I have a condurum of what to do? Or do nothing and let nature take it's course.

Best,

P

Attachments

• PXL_20201017_220029938.jpg
    PXL_20201017_220029938.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 27

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hi,

The insight here has been great, thank you. So many questions I have to ask but I'll try to keep it straightforward. Here is the latest pic. I'm thinking that the tall one is the male? I have a condurum of what to do? Or do nothing and let nature take it's course.

Best,

P
Unless you plan on letting them have sex, you can't smoke him. You have ample time to decide, they're babies. He will be strutting around waaaaaaaaaaaay before he blows his load. Relax enjoy the coffee :)

praxis13

Hello all,

Sorry, don't mean to over post but I'm quite intrigued by all this. I've attached another photo and have noticed that the tops of both plants are lightish, white color. Does this mean anything?

Attachments

• PXL_20201019_222428444.jpg
    PXL_20201019_222428444.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 32

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
New growth is always a bit lighter in colour than the rest of the plant. It usuqlly fixes itself in 2-3 days.
But your plants might have some defficiency too, they look a bit too light coloured overall. Unless it's from the camera.

praxis13

Color

Color

Hi,

Thanks for the info. They might have a good color, but here is another photo with some different light. They're a fairly dark green color but there's also the houseplant in the background for comparison.

If they do have a deficiency, what would it be of? How would I correct it?

Best,

P

Attachments

• PXL_20201020_222054157.jpg
    PXL_20201020_222054157.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 23

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
They are ok for now but look for them getting yellower or showing spors on leaves. It's usually either a lack of nutes (for example nitrogen if they are light green/yellow) or sometimes too much nutrients (for example if they are too dark green, almost with a blue tint). There are charts or pictures that describe all that online. Some threads on the forum as well. Or you can post in the infirmary and get opinion of more experienced growers.

praxis13

Would these be spores?

Would these be spores?

Hello,

Thoughts on the attached? Spores? Do I need to take action?

Thank you,

P

Attachments

• PXL_20201027_205232426.jpg
    PXL_20201027_205232426.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 29

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Don't worry if it doesn't get worse. It may be a spot that had a bit of water and got burned or something like that. Or some small nute/ph problem.. but it's really not a problem at this point.

praxis13

Tradegy strikes

Tradegy strikes

Hi,

So long story short, one plant got it's top cut off. That said, it looks to be recovering. See attached for comparison and a detailed photo.. The shorter one was the one that got cut, but they were never close to being at the the same height.

Anything I should do with the smaller plant? Or anything else to do?

Best,

P

Attachments

• PXL_20201105_220653729.jpg
    PXL_20201105_220653729.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20201105_221327632.jpg
    PXL_20201105_221327632.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 31

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Nah its cool, you topped it. You'll get a bush instead of a beanstalk.

praxis13

Top it?

Top it?

Should I top the big one too... Photo attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20201109_181850001.jpg
    PXL_20201109_181850001.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 32

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
It'll be hard to light the shorter one either way. Your either going to have the light nearer the top of the tall one than the short one, or the taal one will become bushy and shade the shorter one if you top it. That's why most people put seeds in one pot each. That way they can stand the shorter plants on something so the tops are at the same height. Personally, I'd repot the shorter one and top the taller untopped one. Or you could side light them on the shorter plant's side. Or you could just bend the taller one over to even out their heights with a bit of string tied around the outside of the pot. That's probably the easiest solution.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a soil mix I bought. It looked good because there was a lot of stuff in it, good for drainage, etc. and the brand even advertised it as good for weed. Not good?

If its mostly wood its not good. Might be why your plants look yellow?. Does it have a name?. Any good potting soil or coco will work. Coco needs a lower PH. Happy frog or similar is OK.

praxis13

Though I must say that it is mostly a dark, rich, soil. A heavy soil, but I think the wood helps with that drainage, airing, etc.