What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Promix HP

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I used to be able to get BX and would do a 3:1:1 mix of promix:perlite:ewc.

Now I can only get HP in town and I stopped adding perlite. I currently do a 3-4:1 mix of promix:ewc.

That mix is only used for new clones. The rest of the plants get a 50-50 mix of new (hp/ewc) and re-used soil. Re-used soil is made by running rootballs from flowered plants through a 1/2 hardware cloth screen, some Plantone mixed in and let sit in a rubbermaid until use.

What is "EWC"?

I as well recycle my dirt as describes but I use a 3mm screen, that I had left over from Bonsai. The sieve set comprises 3 screens: 3mm; 5mm; and 8mm

@ 3mm, IMO/IME it keeps the undesirables out. Adding new perlite is relatively cheap :) I use this soil @10 to 15%. I recycle more soil than I actually use. For this reason I use it outdoors come spring. It saves me having to but peat to mix in with my black earth for moisture retention.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to be able to get BX and would do a 3:1:1 mix of promix:perlite:ewc.

Now I can only get HP in town and I stopped adding perlite. I currently do a 3-4:1 mix of promix:ewc.

That mix is only used for new clones. The rest of the plants get a 50-50 mix of new (hp/ewc) and re-used soil. Re-used soil is made by running rootballs from flowered plants through a 1/2 hardware cloth screen, some Plantone mixed in and let sit in a rubbermaid until use.

What is "EWC"?

I as well recycle my dirt as describes but I use a 3mm screen, that I had left over from Bonsai. The sieve set comprises 3 screens: 3mm; 5mm; and 8mm

@ 3mm, IMO/IME it keeps the undesirables out. Adding new perlite is relatively cheap
smile.gif
I use this soil @10 to 15%. I recycle more soil than I actually use> For this reason I use it outdoors come spring. It saves me having to but peat to mix in with my black earth for moisture retention.

EWC = earthworm castings