What's new

leaves curling and turning yellow please help!

laulie

SOIL:

How long has this problem been going on? about 1 week
What STRAIN are you growing? i dont know (sorry)
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) seed
What is the age of your plants? 3 weeks
How Tall are the plants? about 12"
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? vegetative
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc) im not sure
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) 5gallon 1 per pot
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?) ffof
What Nutrient's are you using?How much of each with how much water? How Often? *Knowing the brand is very helpful* fox farms grow big, half dose
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? not sure
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? 6.6
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen? both
How often are you watering? every 3 days
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? last feed was yesterday (11-02) and we feed every other time
What size bulb are you using?1000 watt mh
What is the distance to the canopy? imnot sure
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) 60%
What is the canopy temperature? im not sure
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)about 76 day and about 70 night
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) im not sure... we have 6 fans with ventilation if that helps lol sorry im new to this
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? only one
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? no
Is your water HARD or SOFT? distilled
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?distilled
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? no
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? none
Are plant's infected with pest's? no

im really new to all of this, my husband had to go out of town for work for a couple of weeks and im supposed to be taking care of his plants for him and i think i might be killing them. the leaves are starting to curl up on the edges and there is some yellow discoloration on the leaves. i tried to give them a half dose of calmag about 5 days ago thinking that might be some of the problem. also before he left the plants were too close to the light but have since been moved further away (this happened about a week ago) but now they are about 5 feet away from the light.

thanks in advance! i really hope i can get this nipped in the butt before he comes home. he is going to be so mad at me!!!

so ive tired and tried and tried to post pics but it keeps saying that my post contains one or more urls and to please remove them before submitting my message, so i guess i dont know how to post pics, but there a lot in my gallery. if someone can maybe help me with that problem i would be more than happy to get the pics up in the post. sorry for the inconvience

TheBEAK

I found this pic in your gallery, is this one of the plants showing the above-mentioned symptoms?

65792plant10-med.jpg

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Are you talking about the pictures in your gallery now with names like plant 1,2,3 etc....

If so you are not killing your husbands plants, they look beautiful, but the light could be moved down a little more, otherwise they may stretch and get lanky and you don't want that.... just move it high enough to where it is comfortable for the plants..... 3 feet should be good enough.

Your plants are looking like they need cal mag.... mainly magneisum......when you water your plants since your using distilled water... you should be using a small dose of cal mag every watering....... nutrinets mainly micronutrients are removed from distilled water and your plants need them every time you water, otherwise they need to take what is already in the soil and after it's used up they show issues like this....

the coloration should come back to those leaves since you caught it in time.
As for the tips curling or burned, do not worry about that; that happens when the mixture is just slightly too hot for the plants; you would do more harm than good if you tryed to fix that, not to mention those leaves will be gone in flowering so don't worry about that tip burn.

That is all the info I gave above as long as those are the pictures ytou are refeering too :)

Be careful with how heavy you are watering, since you are watering every 3 days.... I would let the soil dry out a bit before each watering.... pick the bags up when they are dry and after a watering pick the bags up, so you know when the pots are heavy and light, this is the best method to use when determing when they need water.......

Last edited:

laulie

yes those were the pics i was talking about. thank ya'll so much. i was really freaking out that he was going to come home and kill me because they have changed so much just within the past week since he left lol. i really do appreciate all the help tho and ill make sure they get the calmag with every watering :)

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think it could be the ffof soil..its to hot to start seedlings or clones in.......but i know that you should't be feeding....@ all!! not with that kind of hot soil....just a few days of plain waterings will help

reason why i say this is becoz i have a plant in flower ..Just like that...a bit worse actually.....not the first time it happend....always when i use canna professional some of the clones i put in have this....new growth id very dark green ..but bottow leaves get yellow edges and brow spots...also i see the tips on the leaves are burned...that gives it away imho...just like mine...no pic of my plant though...
damn my plants are about 50 cm and they still have hick ups from the hot soil.... :muahaha:

Last edited:

Core

ICMag Donor
Veteran
what is the ph of the water you poor in??....

Core

ICMag Donor
Veteran
mmmmh thats good to know.....so that you can rule out.....its not a ph issue

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Ya, thats good to know :)

How long have you been giving them food?

Good thing you been giving them half dosage..... if you had been giving them normal dosage you would be here with plants that are brown :)

You are one of the lucky ones who did not have an issue with FFOF for seedlings.... the soil 90% of the time can be too hot for them, it's not uncommon to see tip burn with plants in FFOF soil......

laulie

oh wow ok thats really good to know! i'll have to let the hubby know for next time. he's only fed them 2 times now. so they should hopefully fix themselves tho right? also i was wondering how do you know when its time to start the flowering part? im sorry like i said im really new to all this and am trying to read as much as possible when i get the chance so i can maybe learn a little more. this seems to be very complex! thanks a again for all of your help. it is very much appreciated!

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
It's really up to you, depending on how big your grow space is... if it's not big then flowering the sooner the better......

If you have adaquate grow space, then wait for the plants to show sex and alternating nodes... after the plants have a good 4 to 5 nodes you will see sex first start on the main stem in the middle of those 4 to 5 nodes, sometimes you may need a magnifying glass to see it, like a 20x microscope; but it will be there. SOme strains require flowering to show there sex.... most do not.

alternating nodes is when the plants stems/branches are not side by side.... they will be crooked like one stem being straight out and the other is a few inches above it shooting straight up. I have a silly drawing of it in my gallery of what it looks like lol.

After that you can flower them, but it's not set in stone, meaning you don't have to wait for it; but I always did, my plants seem to grow better if I did.

Yours growed from seed, I can tell cause it still has the single leaf it gets after it sprouts it's first set of leaves.

You don't know the sex yet....... I always put mine on a weaned lighting schdule just as they would be outdoors.....

do you guys shut your lighting off at all for a few hours?

Core

ICMag Donor
Veteran
mmmh fixing themself is a overstatement lol....it could be it won't stop here...but aslong your new growth is green and healthy looking there's no need for alarm.....
if it does't stop and its spreads to your new groth you should take measures.....just adding this info that this can happen...... not wanne discurage in any way!!

laulie

The lights are on for 16 hours a day right now, he has it on a timer. As far as space goes they have 8'x12' of space for the four plants.