What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Everclear and my vacuum pump

NinjaJeff

I'm cleaning up my friend's shatter that he bought recently, and it's currently in the freezer mixing with the everclear. My only concern about this whole process is that I want to start vacuum purging the shatter-infused everclear as soon as I filter it all with the coffee filters. Would the fumes from the alcohol cause an ignition if going through my vac chamber, or should I go the water bath route to evaporate most of it off before doing a vac purge?

Ras Mason

Veteran
A wise man here said that he let off the ethanol at room themp, thin film style until visual ethanol has spirited away. then pour and purge.
He would probably also tell you scrub your alcohol in a 50-50 charcoal-zeolite filter prior to extraction when you have the chance.
good luck.
They should chimme in fairly soon.
peace
rm

BigJohnny

I've done this with ours, using the CLS as a buchner filter of sorts.

You'll probably want to use a recovery pump instead of a vacuum pump because the alcohol will contaminate your vac pump oil and overfill the oil chamber resulting in oil/etoh being spewed out the exhaust.

At least with a recovery pump the vapours would be vented to the air, or pumped outside through a hose.... maybe even recovered if you wanted to do that.

NinjaJeff

Much appreciated for the replies good sirs. I just want to go about this without blowing myself up lol. If all goes well I'll post a before/after pic of the product.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm cleaning up my friend's shatter that he bought recently, and it's currently in the freezer mixing with the everclear. My only concern about this whole process is that I want to start vacuum purging the shatter-infused everclear as soon as I filter it all with the coffee filters. Would the fumes from the alcohol cause an ignition if going through my vac chamber, or should I go the water bath route to evaporate most of it off before doing a vac purge?

I would recommend evaporating off most of the EtOH by natural evaporation, sitting on a <130F max heat mat, and loosely covered to keep out debris.

You can then finish it in the vacuum chamber.

You can cold boil off the ethanol, but it will flood your pumps crankcase and require frequent oil changes during the process.

pasqsn

GuerrillaLifestyle
Veteran
I would recommend evaporating off most of the EtOH by natural evaporation, sitting on a <130F max heat mat, and loosely covered to keep out debris.

You can then finish it in the vacuum chamber.

You can cold boil off the ethanol, but it will flood your pumps crankcase and require frequent oil changes during the process.

Hi GW!

So if you wanted to recover the alcohol with a condensation system it would not be recommended?
I'd like to be able to recover the alcohol without spending too much in materiale, just using a simple kit of Vacuum chamber and pump like this...

http://www.ebay.it/itm/5L-Vacuum-Ch...284593?hash=item1ebd8f00f1:g:6woAAOSwHoFXp~kw

Do you think could it be possibile?

Latest posts

Latest posts