What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what were bongs like way back when?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
all I know... was too young. Some old dude told me he use to make ceramic bongs, and sell them.. to the extent if others did this.. I don't know

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Lots of glassware was stolen from the science lab in high school and used to make water pipes and such .

I remember lots of brightly colored polycarbonate bongs. Had a bright orange/translucent spill-proof one in the late 70s that worked pretty good.

Growcephus

Veteran
In the late 80's in my area, the bong of choice was the Tokemaster.

I just googled the fuck out of it, but only found one site that has a pic.

http://www.fireflyexoticwear.com/Tobacco-Master-Water-Pipe-Tobacco-Master-Water-Pipe.htm

It's basically a straight, clear, thick acrylic tube, with an acrylic stem, brass fittings, and a brass bowl with shotgun. I had a 12", but the 18" was the perfect size IMO, as you could get a freaking ginormous hit off of that mofo.

Glass was NOT popular with us back then. Pretty much EVERY glass bong any of us ever had would be BROKEN eventually due to...."party incidents".

The Tokemaster hit much better than the cheapo thin plastic bongs, and the Tokemaster was TOUGH. You could beat somebody to death with that damn thing, and we broke like maybe ONE stem.

Some time in the 80's, the company changed their name from Tokemaster to "Tobaccomaster", probably due to some legal bullshit. Still, a good bong I really enjoyed hitting.

A lot of good times with those bongs.

igrowone

Veteran
i have a memory of this one monster some friends built, was about 5 feet tall, nearly a foot in diameter
it was funny for a while, did have quite the kick to it

jm420

Veteran
Grafix if I,m spelling it right was the cadilac of bongs in my day and that was 30 + years ago ,the next best thing was the ceramic skull or reaper ones,and lets not forget the 2 foot cobra with the bowl hidden under the coil.LOL.Thanks for the memories.

bobcat1963

Parker Schnobel
Veteran
Grafix if I,m spelling it right was the cadilac of bongs in my day and that was 30 + years ago ,the next best thing was the ceramic skull or reaper ones,and lets not forget the 2 foot cobra with the bowl hidden under the coil.LOL.Thanks for the memories.

was the graffix the one that had what looked like a soup can on the bottom?

jm420

Veteran
was the graffix the one that had what looked like a soup can on the bottom?
Posibly i just rember the logo ,but if you mean the base was wider than the tube I think that was it, if not i remember that style as well.Back then the modified gas mask was a big one as well the empty paint containers from art class .the good old power hitter.

bobcat1963

Parker Schnobel
Veteran
I had one of those as well,as I remember,paid 20 bucks for it used.About two and a half feet tall,purple,with what looked like purple suede wrapping the base,and had a cool metal springy thing around the bowl,still have that thing.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
The local hardware store.

"I can make a bong outta that" was the oft repeated phrase.

Had a friend who built one out of a 1 gallon glass wine bottle. Vibration was such a low rumble that the downstairs neighbor asked him to not bring his motorcycle into the apartment and start it up. LOL

Yeah... I had a graffix(sp?) bong. Approximately 12 or 18 inches tall with a single bubble, sat on a ceramic jester head. Tip the bong till the bowl is level and hit it slow.... that 6" ball would just slowly fill up with swirling smoke... getting thicker and thicker. Only a wisp would come up the shaft, until you pulled the bowl.

Bought it for $60 off the back of a truck at the flea market.

It was glass, glass stem and downpipe, pull carb. Man I miss that bong. Heh

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

bobcat1963

Parker Schnobel
Veteran
this is what I was talking about earlier

this is what I was talking about earlier

picture.php

jm420

Veteran
Anyone still got the cobra I would love to see a pic?
"I can make a bong outta that" was the oft repeated phrase.

Had a friend who built one out of a 1 gallon glass wine bottle. Vibration was such a low rumble that the downstairs neighbor asked him to not bring his motorcycle into the apartment and start it up. LOL

We did one with the bud beer balls back inthe day ,we would all pich in 5 bucks to fill the bowl(gotta love wood working in school) wich we called a dime back then .Just so its known that was 8 grams not 1 LOL