What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Should I avoid feminised seeds when choosing a female for breeding?

I know that if you try make feminised seeds from feminised seeds then chances are that the resulting seeds would hermie. Is there any reason why I should avoid feminised seeds when choosing a female for breeding? What could go wrong in the genetics if I used a female grown from feminised seeds as the female in a cross that produces regular seeds?
Thanks

sure you can use a feminized female to make regular seeds. The problem is that you need to stress test that female a bunch of ways to make sure she does not go hermie. This can take several runs with a clone of the chosen female forcing common stresses on the plants.
If the chosen plant does not show any hermie issues after stress testing, she is good for making seeds.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ exactly the same goes for ANY female you choose for breeding, whether from regular of feminised seed.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Wait. An S1 is made by changing a female plant's hormones
to force that female plant to make male flowers.

The hormone force is not an inherited trait.

If the females of a chosen program show no hermie,
then the hormone stress won't hermie downstream.

The genetics downstream making hermie traits would be there
regardless of the hormone switch was made or not.

Test the femmed plants for hermie traits before making your crosses.

Good thread!

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Feminized seed has just as much chance of showing intersex traits as seeds made the conventional way. Feminized seed = Hermie is a myth.

I have gotten more Hermie plants from standard seed than fem.

If you find a plant you like make some seeds. Simple as that.

troutman

Seed Whore
I only use normal plants. :tiphat:

There's too many hormonally unbalanced people. I don't want my plants that way. :peek:

WelderDan

Veteran
No reason not to. Check the progeny for intersex traits just like any other crosses. Good luck

NEED 4 SEED

Imagine this: you have found the one and only female plant that fulfills all your needs and then someone comes and says "but it's feminized". Only idiots give up their best females for someone elses unfounded nonsense.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Wait. An S1 is made by changing a female plant's hormones
to force that female plant to make male flowers.
Not when you're using silver methods. Silver simply slows/stops the production of ethylene by the plant. Without ethylene being present, female cannabis flowers form male flowers.

No genetic changes, no genetic stresses, simply nature doing her job. Cannabis, at its very core, is hermie and you'll not get away from it. You can only subdue it significantly for a while. :tiphat:

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
make seeds with the weed plants ya like, stop over thinking it people, no one here knows whats happening to their seeds in 5 more generations cause there is new strains and varietys coming out daily, THE HOLY GRAIL OF CANNABIS IS VARIETY. I make new seeds every grow or whenever I see a random shermy flower on a plant I think might be dank . who wants to smoke the same damn weed all the time.and who wants to guess what the males might bring to the table. males are pretty useless in nature accept for sperm donors, and I can get that from dank females no need for males . make more seeds, and share with random internet strangers ftw

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Not when you're using silver methods. Silver simply slows/stops the production of ethylene by the plant. Without ethylene being present, female cannabis flowers form male flowers.

No genetic changes, no genetic stresses, simply nature doing her job. Cannabis, at its very core, is hermie and you'll not get away from it. You can only subdue it significantly for a while. :tiphat:

We agree then, no genetic changes in reversal.

Mick

Veteran
The science of epigenetics shows that many things can change our gene expression, including just thoughts. Maybe colloidal silver doesn't change the gene itself, but it could change the way some of them are expressed, which for a breeder is pretty much the same thing.

CaptainDankness

I would avoid breeding with fems, unless the plant is so good I no longer give a fuck.

All depends on your goals, just making seeds pollen chucking any two nice plants together will work. Really will work just as good if not better than 70% of the breeders. :)

Dr Watt

Who What
The hermaphrodite characteristics were eliminated, as much as possible, in finding the Female mother.

The "True" female can also be pollinated from another reversed female - which would retain Hybrid Vigor imo.

Thinking about hybridization within a Feminised Seed - I can only imagine you'll lose yield and potency most often in your home breeding efforts. ADD in dud plants that you will get, imo, and it is a waste of time ....... CURIOUS people will still be interested.

Interested in actual how did it turn out with HOME BREEDING efforts. Back in 1989/90 my friend/associate etc made 50,000 seeds from Sensi's Skunk/Afghani and Pluton2 .....

These seeds were stored in box in tin in cuboard in bedroom in house and were all DUD when tested 3 years later. Don't know whethter this is the norm, but i suspect it is worth refreshing the seed every 2 years and, of course, store some at -20c (constant temp make sure of it i recks).

So there you go. Love to make seeds but too much - howdoyouknow if they aren't bad to bugger up when you touch them ?

clearheaded

this idea comes from what i know is from and likely populerized by soma. he made fem beans using stress and prolonged flowering to get male parts. what this inadvertently does in some cases is it is a selection pressure for intersex traits as the first or most pollen created would be for plants more prone or easier via the stress to get male flowers.. Having plants that are hard or take very very long to produce pollen may not be the best when making commerce sized seed crops. so more likely to select for "hermi" traits. like bag seeds tend to be female and have more chance to show intersex. if that made any sense.

I believe Thats where the idea of hemi traits in femmed beans started, as it appears to make sense.

modern ways of producing fem beans prevent such inadvertent selection for hermi traits.

true breeders shy away from fem as no hybrid vigor skinnier and populations.. it is starting to come back the true F1 seeds... once more and more people are allowed to grow more freely in greater quantity selection will want to be made by each grow..

CaptainDankness

Interested in actual how did it turn out with HOME BREEDING efforts. Back in 1989/90 my friend/associate etc made 50,000 seeds from Sensi's Skunk/Afghani and Pluton2 .....

These seeds were stored in box in tin in cuboard in bedroom in house and were all DUD when tested 3 years later. Don't know whethter this is the norm, but i suspect it is worth refreshing the seed every 2 years and, of course, store some at -20c (constant temp make sure of it i recks).

So there you go. Love to make seeds but too much - howdoyouknow if they aren't bad to bugger up when you touch them ?
I just popped some seeds from Mr. Nice that said 7/12 so July 2012 the germination rates did go down a little I probably got 60-70%. It's all about storage.

I keep my seeds in little brown glass vials with rice and stick them in the fridge. Brown glass because I read it keeps the light off of them.

Really I would think I could have easily gone 10 years just stored in the fridge. Freezer's might be a little better, but just a few hours without power could end up thawing and refreezing which is not good. Where I live we go at least 24 hours without power from bad storms almost every year. I've actually been storing all my seeds in the fridge, I never need a full pack of vegetables seeds.

grayeyes

I recently grew out and pollinated a feminized seed. It grew fine, apparently took to pollinating overly so. Ended up seeded completely but it was my fault.

As far as sterile seed, about a month after I harvested I went back to the pot I used to grow in. There standing proud was a volunteer. No water, no encouragement from me.

Sterile? Nope.

Latest posts

Latest posts