What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High Grade CANNABIS BIBLIOGRAPHY SORTED AND ALPHABETIZED BY SUBJECT

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Posted a handfull more in IC Medical Cannabis/Endocannabinoids

If anyone has seen great new or older Cannabis articles that are not in my BIB please PM me so I can add them to the BIB
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
New ones in IC Breeding Cannabis, IC DNA

If anyone has seen great new or older Cannabis articles that are not in my BIB please PM me so I can add them to the BIB
-SamS

Thanks for the info Sam. I'll PM you when I have enough posts. (I think I'm still in your terpene-testing notes as subject #7...)

zif

Veteran
Sam, an update for Post 19 - in vitro

The entry for Wedeking et al. needs a doi and full abstract. Found the full abstract in German at doi: 10.5073/jka.2014.446.031

I have the full 2013 poster pdf in English, the DOI you posted is just a German abstract available on Reseachgate with no link to the full pdf poster in English or German. If I can find the poster pdf in German I will post any DOI or link to it until then I will continue to look for an English DOI or link to the full poster, the pdf poster, not a paper, was given to me by one of the authors and I have not found it online to share, I will continue to look....Thanks for the effort to help I would of posted more of the info on the poster but it can not be cut and pasted I would have to type it by hand and without the photos used it is almost a waste of time, and I am not a fast typer...Thanks for the find in English I did add it to the BIB-SamS.

Cannabis sativa L. – Hanf – ist eine Kulturpflanze zur Fasergewinnung und für medizinische Anwendungen. Für die Neu- und Erhaltungszüchtung könnte die Etablierung von In-vitro-Methoden sehr nützlich sein. Es gibt bisher nur wenige Publikationen über Sprosskulturen, Sprossregeneration u. ä. bei Hanf. In der Regel gelingt es sehr leicht, gut proliferierenden Kallus zu induzieren, der Wurzeln bildet, über eine gelungene Pflanzen- regeneration wird kaum berichtet. Es wurde erstmals mit männlichen Blütenknospen als Ausgangsmaterial für die In-vitro-Kultur experimentiert. Männliche Blütenknospen wurden nach der Desinfektion mit 2 % Ca(OCl)2für 8 min auf ein modifiziertes Medium nach Murashige und Skoog (1962) mit 1⁄2 Makronährstoffen gelegt, das 20g/l Saccharose und 7g/l Agar (SERVA, Kobe I) enthielt und mit verschiedenen Wachstumsregulatoren versetzt wurde: a.) 2mg/l BAP+ 0,025mg/l IES; b.) 2mg/l BAP + 0,1mg/l TDZ + 0,025 mg/l IES; c.) 0,5 mg/l TDZ + 0,025 mg/l IES; d.) 2 mg/l MT + 0,025 mg/l IES. Die Blütenknospen wurden für 38 Tage bei 24 °C und 10 μmol m-2s-1 PAR-Strahlung im 16-Stunden Tag kultiviert. Das Medium b erwies sich als die einzig geeignete Variante, um Adventivsprosse zu induzieren. Die Adventivsprosse wurden isoliert und für weitere 28 Tage auf ein MS-Medium mit 0,1 mg/l TDZ gesetzt zur Sprossentwicklung. Danach bewurzelten die isolierten Sprosse auf einem modifizierten MS-Medium mit 1/3 MS-Makronährstoffen und und 0,5 mg/l IBA. Nach 28 Tagen konnten sie akklimatisiert werden.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I added 10 papers to IC Cannabis Analysis and more to IC Cannabis Botany and also to IC Hemp/Cannabis Cultivation

The new titles are all in RED for a few months to help folks find the newly posted articles.

-SamS

Last edited:

NEED 4 SEED

Hello Sam, you've been saying cannabis is an obligate outcrosser. Can you explain a bit what this means?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Cannabis Domestication, Breeding History, Present-day Genetic Diversity, and Future Prospects
November 2016 Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 35(5-6):293-327
DOI: 10.1080/07352689.2016.1267498
Robert Connell Clarke & Mark Merlin
https://www.researchgate.net/public...nt-day_Genetic_Diversity_and_Future_Prospects

This paper touches on the subject, I will try and find the time to further explain how Cannabis is different than tomatoes for example, tomatoes are easy to grow plants that give identical progeney, Cannabis does not because it is a dioecious & Heterozygous, most tomatoes are not Heterozygous except for modern hybrids. Tomatoes basicly self their seeds without loss of vigor and yield, and they stay true to type. Most traditional tomato varieties are Homozygous and not obligate outcrossers.
As well Cannabis is often pollinated by a slightly different plant of the same landrace, because they are dioecious and wind pollinated. While tomatoes are pollinated by the same perfect flower, Monoecious, unless man is making tomato hybrid seeds by using pollen from another tomato variety.
Monoecious” is translated as “single house,” meaning that male and female flowers are found on a single individual. This contrasts with the translation of dioecious, which is “double house.” This means that male flowers are on one plant and female flowers are on another plant.
With Dioecious this means that each bloom has only male or female reproductive parts. With dioecious plants, the male and female blossoms appear on separate plants.
With monoecious plants, each plant has both male and female flowers.

By contrast, some Cannabis plants have blooms that are intersex with both seperate male and female flowers to some degree. Commonly called Hermis.

As you can see it is not so easy for me to explain in depth, but I will try better later on....
Cannabis a Dioecious, Heterozygous, Obligate Outcrosser. Basically if selfed repeatedly it will become full of recessive negative traits that will express themselves, as well as being inbred and losing vigor and become poor yielders and sickly plants with little resistance to pests and diseases, as well as maybe becoming functionally sterile, little or no pollen drop in S5 males. Vigor can be restored by outcrossing to an unrelated line. Basic plant biology.

-SamS

Last edited:

zif

Veteran
Hello Sam, you've been saying cannabis is an obligate outcrosser. Can you explain a bit what this means?

Because of this basic plant biology that Sam describes, cannabis needs very different breeding strategies to lots of (but not all) familiar food plants. Carol Deppe’s breeding book “Breed your own vegetable varieties“ (take off the ‘s’ -> https://93.174.95.29/_ads/45C871CF6FB27ABCA6B1B98B8C41FEB9) has the best simple description of this difference I have seen. And accessible strategies for anyone interested in preserving or breeding plant varieties.

NEED 4 SEED

Cannabis Domestication, Breeding History, Present-day Genetic Diversity, and Future Prospects
November 2016 Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 35(5-6):293-327
DOI: 10.1080/07352689.2016.1267498
Robert Connell Clarke & Mark Merlin
https://www.researchgate.net/public...nt-day_Genetic_Diversity_and_Future_Prospects

This paper touches on the subject, I will try and find the time to further explain how Cannabis is different than tomatoes for example, tomatoes are easy to grow plants that give identical progeney, Cannabis does not because it is a dioecious & Heterozygous, most tomatoes are not Heterozygous except for modern hybrids. Tomatoes basicly self their seeds without loss of vigor and yield, and they stay true to type. Most traditional tomato varieties are Homozygous and not obligate outcrossers.
As well Cannabis is often pollinated by a slightly different plant of the same landrace, because they are dioecious and wind pollinated. While tomatoes are pollinated by the same perfect flower, Monoecious, unless man is making tomato hybrid seeds by using pollen from another tomato variety.
Monoecious” is translated as “single house,” meaning that male and female flowers are found on a single individual. This contrasts with the translation of dioecious, which is “double house.” This means that male flowers are on one plant and female flowers are on another plant.
With Dioecious this means that each bloom has only male or female reproductive parts. With dioecious plants, the male and female blossoms appear on separate plants.
With monoecious plants, each plant has both male and female flowers.

By contrast, some Cannabis plants have blooms that are intersex with both seperate male and female flowers to some degree. Commonly called Hermis.

As you can see it is not so easy for me to explain in depth, but I will try better later on....
Cannabis a Dioecious, Heterozygous, Obligate Outcrosser. Basically if selfed repeatedly it will become full of recessive negative traits that will express themselves, as well as being inbred and losing vigor and become poor yielders and sickly plants with little resistance to pests and diseases, as well as maybe becoming functionally sterile, little or no pollen drop in S5 males. Vigor can be restored by outcrossing to an unrelated line. Basic plant biology.

-SamS

Thanks for the link and your answer, great info. What do you think makes tomatoes stay healthy after permanent incrossing and lets cannabis get sick over time? If you already answered this, please point me to it.

First I was wondering if the term 'obligate outcrosser' would imply that a breeder only needs to cross his best hybrids with the best hybrids to be fine. I guess, not, if you are breeding for some rare traits that only one parent has.
So, practically it has to be a constant balancing act between trait fixing and restoring vigour, right?

NEED 4 SEED

Because of this basic plant biology that Sam describes, cannabis needs very different breeding strategies to lots of (but not all) familiar food plants. Carol Deppe’s breeding book “Breed your own vegetable varieties“ (take off the ‘s’ -> https://93.174.95.29/_ads/45C871CF6FB27ABCA6B1B98B8C41FEB9) has the best simple description of this difference I have seen. And accessible strategies for anyone interested in preserving or breeding plant varieties.

This book seems to be a good read too. I will check this out as I'm trying myself in some fruit breeding too. Planted my first strawbeeries from self collected seeds and some blueberries and raspberries which both are pretty hard to germinate. Of many dozen seeds only one of each survived. Strawberries are a breeze though.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Thanks for the link and your answer, great info. What do you think makes tomatoes stay healthy after permanent incrossing and lets cannabis get sick over time? If you already answered this, please point me to it.

First I was wondering if the term 'obligate outcrosser' would imply that a breeder only needs to cross his best hybrids with the best hybrids to be fine. I guess, not, if you are breeding for some rare traits that only one parent has.
So, practically it has to be a constant balancing act between trait fixing and restoring vigour, right?

Basically, to keep vigor intact you can not self the same (obligate outcrosser) plant repeatedly you will also find the same problem trying to maintain a landrace with just a few plants, you need to use a minimum of 1000 females and 1000 males to conserve all of the genes, use less and you alter the gene pool in that landrace, and after a few years of reproduction end up with a different genepool, the frequency of the genes will get altered, and that will alter the genepool.
Farmers in traditional Cannabis cultivation areas grow thousands of plants of a landrace in a field, and try and save the seeds from the females that have the best traits, for the next years crop. They are doing what you say, trait fixing and restoring vigour by selecting the females with the best traits each season. They can also remove any intersex plants, male or female, to reduce the incidence of intersex. With sinsemilla fields this is more important as any seeds found are likely from intersex females that had a few male flowers, that made the few seeds found.
Real traditional sinsemilla farmers with knowledge use seeds made seperately with females and males they have repeatedly checked and removed any intersex plants from to be sure the seeds are not carrying intersex genes, or at least have as low an incidence as they can make.

-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
This book seems to be a good read too. I will check this out as I'm trying myself in some fruit breeding too. Planted my first strawbeeries from self collected seeds and some blueberries and raspberries which both are pretty hard to germinate. Of many dozen seeds only one of each survived. Strawberries are a breeze though.

Strawberries are grown from clones, they plant thousands of newly made hybrid seeds to find the few superior individuals that have the traits they are looking for, and then use the selected to create more identical clones by runners, and only plant the selected clones for production, a lot like how Cannabis is grown today from elite clones more than from seeds. That way the whole crop is identical and superior to a crop from seeds.
-SamS

NEED 4 SEED

Basically, to keep vigor intact you can not self the same (obligate outcrosser) plant repeatedly you will also find the same problem trying to maintain a landrace with just a few plants, you need to use a minimum of 1000 females and 1000 males to conserve all of the genes, use less and you alter the gene pool in that landrace, and after a few years of reproduction end up with a different genepool, the frequency of the genes will get altered, and that will alter the genepool.
Farmers in traditional Cannabis cultivation areas grow thousands of plants of a landrace in a field, and try and save the seeds from the females that have the best traits, for the next years crop. They are doing what you say, trait fixing and restoring vigour by selecting the females with the best traits each season. They can also remove any intersex plants, male or female, to reduce the incidence of intersex. With sinsemilla fields this is more important as any seeds found are likely from intersex females that had a few male flowers, that made the few seeds found.
Real traditional sinsemilla farmers with knowledge use seeds made seperately with females and males they have repeatedly checked and removed any intersex plants from to be sure the seeds are not carrying intersex genes, or at least have as low an incidence as they can make.

-SamS

I guess I won't have the capabilities to preserve landraces which wasn't my goal either. I would rather try to produce a nice drug strain with two or three fixed traits and thats all. Only out of curiosity I would still like to know why tomatoes aren't obligate outcrossers and keep their vigour throughout incrossing.

NEED 4 SEED

Strawberries are grown from clones, they plant thousands of newly made hybrid seeds to find the few superior individuals that have the traits they are looking for, and then use the selected to create more identical clones by runners, and only plant the selected clones for production, a lot like how Cannabis is grown today from elite clones more than from seeds. That way the whole crop is identical and superior to a crop from seeds.
-SamS

That was my plan exactly. My patch is only a few sqm. I can test some 20 plants. Over the years I will probably get into the hundreds. I think my chance of finding a superb pheno over time aren't too small with a bit of luck. As you said the strawberries that are grown commercially are clones of hybrids, most probably poly-hybrids and the seeds I have collected and planted last year therefor will have some variation to search in. If that doesn't help I could try and make hybrids myself. If that fails too I had at least strawberries every summer. :tiphat:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
I guess I won't have the capabilities to preserve landraces which wasn't my goal either. I would rather try to produce a nice drug strain with two or three fixed traits and thats all. Only out of curiosity I would still like to know why tomatoes aren't obligate outcrossers and keep their vigour throughout incrossing.

Cannabis: you need two distinct plants to mate with. It is predetermined that the necessary sex organs are on different plants. (We do not speak of selfing in the same context, just the natural state of both a female and a male required to produce seed. Obligated in this manner...)

The tomato genome is different in size compared to cannabis. Tomato is showing 935 Mb about 35,000 genes, cannabis if I recall was 847 Kb, unknown total number of genes. This may explain why it is Not Obligated to receive material to produce offspring.

Last edited:

NEED 4 SEED

Cannabis: you need two distinct plants to mate with. It is predetermined that the necessary sex organs are on different plants. (We do not speak of selfing in the same context, just the natural state of both a female and a male required to produce seed. Obligated in this manner...)

The tomato genome is different in size compared to cannabis. Tomato is showing 935 Mb about 35,000 genes, cannabis if I recall was 847 Kb, unknown total number of genes. This may explain why it is Not Obligated to receive material to produce offspring.

Sounds plausible. :good:

CannaZen

that must mean cannabis is older. The human genome only contains six base pairs. through inthroughout its been hectic of course the answers is the end.

Last edited:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
The human genome is 3 billion base pairs. Of which only about 1-2% is relevant or Gene coding. We carry around a lot of detritus that continues to replicate and insert itself into other spaces.

A lot of sequences for cannabis exist but not compared to genomes of uncontrolled substances. The numbers and insight yet to come for cannabis are going to be revealing. Not sure how yet but it will come.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I added just a few new papers, if anyone has anything for me to post, just PM me the info and I will add it to the CANNABIS BIBLIOGRAPHY SORTED AND ALPHABETIZED BY SUBJECT.

-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I added just a few new papers, to IC Breeding Cannabis and IC Cannabinoids if anyone has anything for me to post, just PM me the info and I will add it to the CANNABIS BIBLIOGRAPHY SORTED AND ALPHABETIZED BY SUBJECT.
I have another 25-50 articles I will post in the next few days, but it is very slow to add articles to the BIB maybe because the BIB posts are so large they take 5 minutes to add a single new article if I want to add to the bigger ones like IC Cannabinoids.
Anyone have an idea how to do it faster, easier besides breaking up the BIB into many more posts? Please help me....

-SamS

Last edited: