What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400 Watt HPS vs 600 Watt HPS

420ponics

I've used a single 600 watter before. Worked great, and got me 12oz off of two plants. I am thinking about running 7 or 8 400 watt HPS bulbs now. How much larger is the yield off of a 600 as compared to that of a 400 watter? A big difference? Also, what is the best way to grow them large!? I am thinking 5 gallon dwc buckets with single plants. Or perhaps I will do what I did last time and put two plants in one 10 gallon tub DWC. I just want to grow them large, fast, effeciently, and with alot of weight. How many plants do you all think I should use with 8 400 watters? If I have the lights 4 feet away over more plants, would that produce a larger yield as opposed to 1 foot away with fewer plants? Thanks guys!

Ponics. :joint:

G

I grow with two 400w HPS and pulled 9oz off one plant last go round. Had another larger plant I chopped early to replace with some good clones that probably would have done more than that itself. I'm shooting for clearing a LB in my 3x5 closet this time with just 4 plants.

420ponics

Stoned2Death said:
I grow with two 400w HPS and pulled 9oz off one plant last go round. Had another larger plant I chopped early to replace with some good clones that probably would have done more than that itself. I'm shooting for clearing a LB in my 3x5 closet this time with just 4 plants.

Very nice, where did you get your skunk seeds and what kind are they (type of skunk)? What method did you use? Did you LST? How close were your lights? How long did you veg? I am about to read your sig actually. Hopefully everything is in there : ) Thanks!

Ponics.

G

man why bother running so many 400's like honestly, the 1k HPS is the best producer IMO on the market, and instead of buying 8 bulbs, why not 3-4 1ks, would work out cheaper in the long haul.. just my 2 cents, if anything run 600's and ditch the 4's come yeild and re buying new bulbs time you will thank god you didnt go all them 400;s.

just curious, why you so horny on 400's. can u get them cheap or even better for free?? more ballasts=more heat.

good luck

G

600's is where it is at. Prefected blend of wattage with output and you get this awesome mix that'll make the plants yell for more. I believe the 600watt HPS was designed with greenhouses in mind.

G

Hey 420ponics, I got my clones from a friend locally. They are two skunk#1 clones and two skunk/ww/haze clones. The skunk is skunky as you'd expect, and the other two have a slight hazey, fruity undertone to them. I took the clones, stuck em in the bubblers and away they went.

At this point, my lights are about 2-2 1/2' away. It seems in this small space with so much light I get light bleaching on the plants directly under the lights. It's noticable because tops that are in the back corners usually are significantly greener than those directly under the reflectors. I actually doubt I'd have any problems with them raised to the 7' ceiling the whole grow. From bucket top to ceiling is only 5 1/2' or so anyway.

Veg was three weeks, and I think that covers anything my thread might not.

Now, back in the day on OG there was a lighting faq, and if I remember correctly, the 600W actually is more efficient over all than either the 400 or the 1000, which partly explains the popularity of 600W HPS systems. I can't explain the how or why, it's been a while, but I'm positive this was correct.

G

sweet as stoned. will have a peek at your thread. might be more efficent. though when it comes to output, the 1K rules supreme. in fact im clicking now

G

tokinafady! long time no see bro! That is....if you're tokinafady from OG. Is that you? :joint:

Last edited:

Sauce

Stoned2Death is correct, here are the numbers with standard bulbs:

400w = 50k = 125 lu / w
600 = 91k = 151 lu / w
1000 = 140k = 140 lu / w

The difference between the 400 and 600 is pretty drastic, imo you're wasting energy that could give mroe light with 400s. Also like others said, the cost of a bunch of 400w lights should be much more than a lesser amount of 600s.

I notice this thread doesnt have ant recent posts but maybe someone can help me.....
Im switching to a tent and was wondering if I should go with a 400 or a 600 hps...
Long run wise, if I got a 400 would I end up ditching it for a 600 or whats the low down. I have good genetics, I just need the power to fill out the yield now. Should I go 600? anny opinion is appreciated.

KUSHEATER1

go with a 600 if you can keep temps in check I run two 400's in a dr120 and I'm looking at about 22 to 24 zips per run...bubba kush,707 headband and purps

go with a 600 if you can keep temps in check I run two 400's in a dr120 and I'm looking at about 22 to 24 zips per run...bubba kush,707 headband and purps

:tiphat:Nice...I just started a table with 2 400s. I hope I do as well.

I also have a 600W setup. I think the 600W is good for taller plants. The brighter light gives better penatration.

I think the 2 x 4ooW would be better for a SOG. You know, a big area of short plants.

mg75

I notice this thread doesnt have ant recent posts but maybe someone can help me.....
Im switching to a tent and was wondering if I should go with a 400 or a 600 hps...
Long run wise, if I got a 400 would I end up ditching it for a 600 or whats the low down. I have good genetics, I just need the power to fill out the yield now. Should I go 600? anny opinion is appreciated.

once you dial your tent's HVAC needs... bigger is usually better especially with the new dimmable ballasts. I would do 600 or 1000 and dim them down until you sort-out your environment.

2 x 400 sounds interesting. Especially with 1 HPS and 1 CMH. Great combo!

Hi
I run a 4x4 tent. I use 3x3 of that space for growth. I use a 600 hps. Super hot bulb. 80* all the time. Bubblebuckets were not liking it. I now have a small chiller for the heat at root level. I switched to a 400cmh. 73* all day long. I will be switching back to the 600 for flowering. mg75 said it best: once you dial your tent's HVAC needs... bigger is usually better.
Now that i have more control of my venting.....I will be going bigger once again.

2 x 400 sounds interesting. Especially with 1 HPS and 1 CMH. Great combo!

That's exactly how I'm running it. A 2' x 4' E&F table with CMH over one end and HPS over the other. I'm not going to switch the plants from side to side so I may be able to see differences in growth between the two lamps.

Thanks for the advice guys. Im going 600! the tent is going in the room i already use, which is 3 times bigger than the tent. I only have trouble tryin to keep the heat UP.... So Ill go 600 and worst case scenario leave the tent open for a week or 2 til i get a nice inline fan. Im only switching to a tent cause I have what id call an open room setup, back bedroom in the basement with some lights, want to get it all sealed in one spot so ventilation should not be a problem. Last questions, Lumatek what I want for a digi ballast or should I go galaxy? also anyone here use a vertizontal hood? they look like they would work well just wanted a users opinion. thanks again guys...

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Phillips sells a mixed spectrum HPS bulb with 40% more white/blue [son t-agro or something like that ] , im using those bulbs for some runs now in flowering with really good results

Fj

paulkemp

i could be wrong and i am new but imho 600 is the most efficient to run. 3 of those run together would do you well.

Latest posts

Latest posts