What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi & Golden Tiger

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'm at Lat 45 and want to try to grow a couple Malawi or Golden Tiger guerilla style. Some years, we get heat with no frost until the end of november, but not usually, and I've seen frozen ground October 31st. Still, I'm willing to give it a shot.

If I pop my seeds May 1st and put them under 12/12 right from the get go, can I put them out after June 21st (summer solstice) without them re-veging? Daylight is about 14 hrs by this time, and doesn't drop to 12 hrs until mid october. (I think I know the answer. lol)

Am I better to just get her out by June 1st while days are getting longer and hope for a warm fall?

Buddler

Veteran
Maybe if you veg till they are mature indoors then out for june. Ive grown quite a few malawi at 49 and had best luck with light dep startin in july plants are done in oct.. but to go natural i would count on some immature bud come nov..B

troutman

Seed Whore
They probably won't finish properly unless you can give them 12/12 all the way.

They'll mostly just stay in vegetative mode or flower very little by September.

You're better off to find something that flowers faster and save those seeds for an indoor grow.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
They probably won't finish properly unless you can give them 12/12 all the way.

They'll mostly just stay in vegetative mode or flower very little by September.

You're better off to find something that flowers faster and save those seeds for an indoor grow.

I won't be growing nidoor anytime soon, so I'll grow ONE just in case we stay frost free and warm until November 15th. lol

rolandomota

Veteran
get that killer Malawi x auto Malawi nl f4 it should finish in time ask luis directly at info@aceseeds.org for them i think its your best bet. Malawi x Panama might finish also but go ask him he will respond within a day sometimes a few minutes and you can have a back and forth conversation through e mail hes very responsive

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
get that killer Malawi x auto Malawi nl f4 it should finish in time ask luis directly at info@aceseeds.org for them i think its your best bet. Malawi x Panama might finish also but go ask him he will respond within a day sometimes a few minutes and you can have a back and forth conversation through e mail hes very responsive

Will do. Thanks.

bopper

I'm at Lat 45 and want to try to grow a couple Malawi or Golden Tiger guerilla style. Some years, we get heat with no frost until the end of november, but not usually, and I've seen frozen ground October 31st. Still, I'm willing to give it a shot.

If I pop my seeds May 1st and put them under 12/12 right from the get go, can I put them out after June 21st (summer solstice) without them re-veging? Daylight is about 14 hrs by this time, and doesn't drop to 12 hrs until mid october. (I think I know the answer. lol)

Am I better to just get her out by June 1st while days are getting longer and hope for a warm fall?

Hi TychoMonolyth,

A slightly modified scheduling trick has been reported by many growers in the past. By moving plants vegging under 12/12 outside on May 21st, the shortened daylight induces flowering immediately. The flowering is reported to continue for the next month, as the days grow a bit longer, and after June 21st as the days grow shorter they flower as normal, albeit finishing about a month earlier than plants put outdoors initially on June 21st.

An inhospitable local (legal) climate has prevented personal verification, but several trusted growers have reported such beneficial results.

If this method works for the Malawi or GT, it should allow them to finish before October 31st.

I hope that this helps.

Best,

bopper

Last edited:

Kaskadian

Veteran
As others have said, ask Luis, that dude is a wealth of knowledge. I don't really have a lot to contribute to this but I just wanted to say if you do this please do a grow diary! As a fellow 45N'er I'd love to see something like this pulled off.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi TychoMonolyth,

Thanks for your interest in growing our genetics for your upcoming guerrilla grow :)

I've seen some growers around your latitude and even further north finishing pure Malawi. It can be done with proper selection and with the right early flowering pheno, but i prefer to follow the info of our official strain descriptions, and would only recommend Malawi and Golden Tiger for outdoor growing between latitudes 0-43º.

If you force the flowering of your sativas with a 12/12 photoperiod and then you let them continue the flowering outdoors in the summer solstice then they will reveg for sure. This trick could work with some very fast flowering indicas, but not with pure sativas of this kind.

I would strongly recommend Malawi x PCK instead, it has great Malawi potency but PCK really speed ups the flowering time and improves the mold and cold resistance.
Or even the new Thai Chi, it has worked very well last season in outdoor conditions similar to yours.

Hope it helps.

bopper

You're right dubi, of course.

I meant to put plants vegging under 18/6 or other usual veg regimen outside around May 21. Sorry for not catching the error.

It might only work for the indica-leaning varieties, but might also be an interesting experiment for sativa-leaning hybrids and perhaps some true sats. Having never tried the experiment, I only have anecdotal accounts on which to rely. :D

Best,

bopper

Last edited: