What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

American Community Survey from the U.S. Census Bureau--WTF????

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
OK boys and girls, in the mail yesterday I was informed I was lucky to be selected to participate in this "mandatory" survey on "how we live--our education, employment, housing and more".

The envelope is rather intimidating, it clearly states "The American Community Survey...YOUR RESPONSE IS REQUIRED BY LAW".

What kind of questions do they ask?--go here and see for yourself.
https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/methodology/questionnaires/2017/quest17.pdf

For the American Community Survey, U.S. Census Bureau cites Title 13, United States Code (U.S.C.), Sections 141, 193 and 221 as their authority to request the information.

Section 141 (d) states, in part: …the Secretary, in the year 1985 and every 10 years thereafter, shall conduct a mid-decade census of population in such form and content as he may determine…

Section 141 (e) (2) states: Information obtained in any mid-decade census shall not be used for apportionment of Representatives in Congress among the several States, nor shall such information be used in prescribing congressional districts.

Section 141 (g) As used in this section, “census of population” means a census of population, housing, and matters relating to population and housing.

Section 193 states: In advance of, in conjunction with, or after the taking of each census provided for by this chapter, the Secretary may make surveys and collect such preliminary and supplementary statistics related to the main topic of the census as are necessary to the initiation, taking, or completion thereof.

Title 18 U.S.C. Section 3571 and Section 3559, in effect amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221 by changing the fine for anyone over 18 years old who refuses or willfully neglects to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers from a fine of not more than $100 to not more than $5,000.

So...what to do?

Stealing the ideas from: truthistreason.net/how-to-legally-refuse-to-participate-in-the-census-survey
I will respond via mail and attach a letter with the following words:

To Whom it May Concern,

Pursuant to Article I, Section 2, Clause 3 of the Constitution, the only information you are empowered to request is the total number of occupants at this address. My “name, sex, age, date of birth, race, ethnicity, telephone number, relationship and housing tenure” have absolutely nothing to do with apportioning direct taxes or determining the number of representatives in the House of Representatives. Therefore, neither Congress nor the Census Bureau have the constitutional authority to make that information request a component of the enumeration outlined in Article I, Section 2, Clause 3. In addition, I cannot be subject to a fine for basing my conduct on the Constitution because that document trumps laws passed by Congress.

Interstate Commerce Commission v. Brimson, 154 U.S. 447, 479 (May 26, 1894)

Neither branch of the legislative department, still less any merely administrative body, established by congress, possesses, or can be invested with, a general power of making inquiry into the private affairs of the citizen. Kilbourn v. Thompson, 103 U.S. 168, 190. We said in Boyd v. U.S., 116 U. S. 616, 630, 6 Sup. Ct. 524,―and it cannot be too often repeated,―that the principles that embody the essence of constitutional liberty and security forbid all invasions on the part of government and it’s employees of the sanctity of a man’s home and the privacies of his life. As said by Mr. Justice Field in Re Pacific Ry. Commission, 32 Fed. 241, 250, ‘of all the rights of the citizen, few are of greater importance or more essential to his peace and happiness than the right of personal security, and that involves, not merely protection of his person from assault, but exemption of his private affairs, books, and papers from inspection and scrutiny of others. Without the enjoyment of this right, all others would lose half their value.’”

Fuck them! IMO, the less they know about me...the less problems I will have in the future. The last thing I ever want to hear is, "Hi, we're from the Government and we're here to help."

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I always throw that shit in the trash.
When they did the census years ago I didnt answer the door when they knocked. Months later they called and told me I had to answer "under penalty of law".
Told them I wasnt answering anything and to bring the Army when they come to take me away.
Never heard from them again.

It's legit. We got one a few years ago and thought it was a scam. Called and checked was real. They asked what number I could be reached at and I gave them a lawyers number...was never bothered again

DocTim420

You know, for us guys that are wired to think: helping those that can not help themselves is better than saying "fuck it"--it is hard for me to walk away (ignore it)...especially, when adopting the strategy of "resistance" (french accent at the end please) is so easy and kinda appealing.

When given the opportunity to respond to a government's request with a polite "fuck you"...and be in the "right", I find it hard to say no.

We had a funny issue during the 2010 census where they not only left cards stuck in the jam of my front door, they started calling us, requesting to schedule an appointment for a personal interview in our house. I told her fuck herself so eloquently that my wife wish she video taped me so we could win 1st place in America's Funniest Videos...lol.

I have no idea what I said, but you know how sometimes when you are in the groove, in the zone, riding the wave...you come up with great funny shit without even trying, lol. I do remember saying something about our house was "clothing optional"....and that there was nothing she could do about it, lol.

You see, if I don't respond they can "fine me" some coin, but if I do respond--but not in a way the want me to do...there really is not much they can do; America is a free country. BTW, the voluntary "mandatory survey" is supposed to take about 40 minutes to complete...yeah right.

WishDoctor

jfc, just lie on the fucking form and be done with it or throw it in the trash and fuck it. what a waste of your emotions. seriously. you don't have to answer no matter what. Lie Lie Lie fuck em all

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, my bad. Figure it's too much an intrusion to ask when you go to work. Census normally (in the good ol' days) wanted ethnicity, occupation and age. Things have changed......

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought they were only obligated to collect the name of the "head of household" & number of occupants.
Anything beyond that, I believe, is voluntary.

I tossed the last 2 in the trash.
The last census the workers only came to the house twice. They asked to speak to the head of the household & were told to come back when the HOH was home.

Beyond keeping accurate population numbers, WTF is the purpose of the Census?
They shouldn't care about race, religion or any number of demographics they're collecting beyond pure population numbers!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Traditionally, census information has used to plan the provision of health care, education, employment, transport, etc. It is used to help determine where to build new schools, roads, health care facilities, child-care and senior centers. Race data also are used to promote equal employment opportunities and to assess racial disparities in health and environmental risks.

DocTim420

Do download the survey (link in 1st post)--they want to know how much I pay in electricity, if I have hot & cold running water, what kind of computers I use, if and how I have internet access, cost of water & sewer, how much my mortgage/rent is, property taxes, insurance, my education, income, how well I speak English (LOL!!!!, now that's funny), military service...fuck! Talk about a deep probe...and with a promise to keep this information "confidential", lol....now that too is funny!!

Like I said, I'll respond by writing a letter (using those two paragraphs) and return the survey blank (without one question answered). Ever since I can remember, I have always done two things: Always Question my Government...and never trust my Government. LOL, think this old fucker is going to start now? Nahhh.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
They came to my house every week all summer demanding I participate in a census that focused on homes built before 1900. Guy BEATING my door at 8am Sunday morning. Oh boy, not smart. He was fast though, dog didn't get him.

The following Sunday bang bang bang again. Really? Ok see how this fucker likes a 12 gauge. Despite the posted, no trespassing signs, beware of dog, etc this guy starts showing me his laptop. Didn't even glance at the shotgun. I explained I work nights please leave. This will take only 45 min he says. Fuck off!!!!

Next Sunday same damn thing. Can't believe the balls on these people.

Long story short I quit answer the door, keep the dog out which backfired. Guy petting dog banging on door. Dog hates everyone. Suddenly this clown is his best friend. Fuck me running.

So I go out there and say what can I do to get you to go away. I filled out the survey, all bs, and the guy happily went on his merry way.

Should have done that first time. Joke was on me. I figure they get paid by everyone they get filled out. Tenacious little bastard. Balls that drag and make Sparks for a small asian man. Lol

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Must have been some damn good pay to ignore the signs, shotgun, and somehow befriend my dog lol. Must have had a pocket full of steaks!

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Fill in form correctly and accurately >

> Run form through cross cut shredder >

> Soak shreds in water then blend to a pulp with cake mixer >

> Squeeze excess water out of pulp with cheesecloth >

> Roll out to size and shape of original form with image of front of original form pasted to it (Or make crafty paper mache items such as snazzy "don't tread on me" and census form earrings) >

> Send to approprate address with a photographic storyboard of the above procedure enclosed.

Bask in the knowledge that you are a good citizen complying with the letter of the law.

LadyBeez

What is so disturbing about your attitudes is the lack of understanding of how funding is allocated & how states & counties get their money-Do you like the roads being paved? Have you ever had to call the police, fire dept. or an ambulance? Do you have children in public schools? Do you have a lighted streets, public libraries & public transportation? Is your rent or mortgage to high, do you have a slum lord in your area? These are issues that are important to most people & how do you think they find out if a community needs more schools, hospitals, fire depts? How does $$ get to those places that need new roads, libraries, police stations or retirement facilities? By data-who collects the most data in the country? The Census Bureau. They are where you go to for statistics about everything! Prison populations,poverty level, job growth, income, mental health,rent control,immigrants etc. Do you think any successful "business" can succeed without doing an inventory? Dont you need to know how many employees you have, how much they are paid, how many hours they work, if they are healthy or sick , days missed, job performance, profit margin, moral, supplies, overhead, compliance w/ OSHA,etc. You people are idiots to think the Govt gives 2 S*!$ about YOU-its just numbers & you people are so self absorbed-Ed Snowden told everyone already that we are screwed-At least with accurate data we know how badly screwed we are!

G

What is so disturbing about your attitudes is the lack of understanding of how funding is allocated & how states & counties get their money-Do you like the roads being paved? Have you ever had to call the police, fire dept. or an ambulance? Do you have children in public schools? Do you have a lighted streets, public libraries & public transportation? Is your rent or mortgage to high, do you have a slum lord in your area? These are issues that are important to most people & how do you think they find out if a community needs more schools, hospitals, fire depts? How does $$ get to those places that need new roads, libraries, police stations or retirement facilities? By data-who collects the most data in the country? The Census Bureau. They are where you go to for statistics about everything! Prison populations,poverty level, job growth, income, mental health,rent control,immigrants etc. Do you think any successful "business" can succeed without doing an inventory? Dont you need to know how many employees you have, how much they are paid, how many hours they work, if they are healthy or sick , days missed, job performance, profit margin, moral, supplies, overhead, compliance w/ OSHA,etc. You people are idiots to think the Govt gives 2 S*!$ about YOU-its just numbers & you people are so self absorbed-Ed Snowden told everyone already that we are screwed-At least with accurate data we know how badly screwed we are!
Keep telling yourself whatever you want snowflake.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
they added a question to the form, late last night. now, the very last question asks "are you a legal citizen?" it is a back door attempt to frighten folks in urban areas into not answering, hoping to lower big cities representation in Congress. the constitution calls for "enumeration" IE- "how many people live there?" not "how many people are registered to vote for us". California (among others) announced IMMEDIATELY that they would sue to stop it. even experienced Census employees say it is not permissible to ask this. the GOP only wants registered Republicans to be able to vote. you are either with them, or you are an enemy of the "state" in their minds...:moon:

G

they added a question to the form, late last night. now, the very last question asks "are you a legal citizen?" it is a back door attempt to frighten folks in urban areas into not answering, hoping to lower big cities representation in Congress. the constitution calls for "enumeration" IE- "how many people live there?" not "how many people are registered to vote for us". California (among others) announced IMMEDIATELY that they would sue to stop it. even experienced Census employees say it is not permissible to ask this. the GOP only wants registered Republicans to be able to vote. you are either with them, or you are an enemy of the "state" in their minds...:moon:
I only want LEGAL US CITIZENS, that are alive, to vote. Is that so wrong?

Latest posts

Latest posts