What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pot size for autos

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Someone up there said 1gm/watt. is this true? Highly unlikely.
Ex: 1000W = 1000 grams. ~35 oz. Show me photos that meet that? Numerous, but not autos.
Too, it depends on environment, including lighting. That's why we don't mention yield when mentioning our strains as variable have to be optimal for the best harvest possible.
If I buy 10 seeds (auto) odds are good there will be different phenos, YES?
Yes, different phenos in hybrids. Some will be sativa dominant, while others, depending on hybrid crosses are indica with the ruderalis gene in both making them "autoflowering" plants.
Some are semi-autos so the variability differs. Unstable semis are anywhere between 25% on up according to Punnett's Square and Mendel's theory on inheritance.

every seed is an adventure? are they very stable?
Yes to the first question, it's an amazing adventure.
Second question, it depends on how well the breeder breeds their seeds. Most are stable, but those taking a short cut or don't properly grow to properly test stability, you'll have issues...malformations, hermaphrodite traits. Too, depends (if feminized) HOW they feminize. Some are stable, others not.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
STrout! you coming back??
clock%20watch.gif

EDIT: Thanks Aridbud

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Yes, all mediums.
thank you again.. so then, all aspects of growing photo autos are the same as poho period plants cept changing light schemes? and they all have the same requirements? temps, light timing, diseases, molds, nutrients and nutrient deficiencies? (I'm not getting to a negative punch-line, just learning).

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keep lighting regimen 18/6 or 20/4. Yes, autos can have same issues mentioned as with photoperiods.
Don't over fertilize as it stunts them.

neongreen

Veteran
The main difference is that with autos, if you make a mistake, there's no correcting it and your yield will suffer. Photos are more forgiving in the respect that you can just veg a bit longer to make up for the mistake.

So with autos, you need to have a firm grasp of what to do when you start, or you'll likely screw up your first attempts. Follow a few rules and you'll be fine:

1. plant in large/deep containers - don't transplant
2. don't make any mistakes

:tiphat:

djibra

Someone up there said 1gm/watt. is this true? Highly unlikely.
Ex: 1000W = 1000 grams. ~35 oz. Show me photos that meet that? Numerous, but not autos.
Too, it depends on environment, including lighting. That's why we don't mention yield when mentioning our strains as variable have to be optimal for the best harvest possible.
If I buy 10 seeds (auto) odds are good there will be different phenos, YES?
Yes, different phenos in hybrids. Some will be sativa dominant, while others, depending on hybrid crosses are indica with the ruderalis gene in both making them "autoflowering" plants.
Some are semi-autos so the variability differs. Unstable semis are anywhere between 25% on up according to Punnett's Square and Mendel's theory on inheritance.

every seed is an adventure? are they very stable?
Yes to the first question, it's an amazing adventure.
Second question, it depends on how well the breeder breeds their seeds. Most are stable, but those taking a short cut or don't properly grow to properly test stability, you'll have issues...malformations, hermaphrodite traits. Too, depends (if feminized) HOW they feminize. Some are stable, others not.

18l pots always.. -soil/coco, 20/4 light, 2x 2x600: 2476g dry..
sorry i dont have a full room bloom pic..

bigger roots bigger fruits right?! well yeah, but talking AF, because of their short lifetime, they just dont have enough time to fill a 35l pot with its roots no matter how big they are and you end up watering something that could easily be done in 11-20l pots with almost same result and less nutrients and water..

so i would say that 11 or 18l (classic pots or even better airpots) are the best for AF...but we all know its not just pot size that matters to grow a nice plant...

but yeah, you can get 1g/w with autos :D

Attachments

• IMAG5305.jpg
    IMAG5305.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG5331.jpg
    IMAG5331.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 47

master kusher

18l pots always.. -soil/coco, 20/4 light, 2x 2x600: 2476g dry..
sorry i dont have a full room bloom pic..

bigger roots bigger fruits right?! well yeah, but talking AF, because of their short lifetime, they just dont have enough time to fill a 35l pot with its roots no matter how big they are and you end up watering something that could easily be done in 11-20l pots with almost same result and less nutrients and water..

so i would say that 11 or 18l (classic pots or even better airpots) are the best for AF...but we all know its not just pot size that matters to grow a nice plant...

but yeah, you can get 1g/w with autos :D
IMO pot size it what determines overall yield because, you won't get the same results with a smaller pot vs. a bigger pot.

HereIgrowagain

I can pull 3z pp in 6.5 litre pots with autos. 600w in a 1.2. All dialed in of course, but, aye easy enough for those yields. Genetics dependant as well obviously.

R

Rageous8899

This is what i did

This is what i did

Well im a noob so take what i have to say and dbl check it but i had good success with solo cups of hydroton in 5 gal buckets dwc. I had onebucket with 2 sites and another with 1. I rwccomend only doing 1 plant per bucket if theyre an auto assortment because i majorly f'ed up amd had a mmonstesativa next to a little indica. A 5 gal dwc in even a solo cup is fine and it yielded big results for my250 400 600watt hps (only using the 250 setting). Got close to 4oz first time dwc and autoshttps://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=72852&pictureid=1735463

Jake777460

Use 5 gal pots for autos.. i just bought 3 gal and regret it, the guy at the hydro shop said use 3 gal and anything over that would be a waste of soil.. well the plants roots will use what soil it needs and the soil can be recycled again and again plus the more room the roots have the less chance it becomes rootbound.. i'm no noob too with about 10 years experiance in recearch and working at lp's myself.. this guy said he has 20 + years experiance but he also didn't know that autos should start in the pot it finishes in and i should have known what was up whe he couldn't add 8 x 6 lol he took a good 2 minutes to get it and he was still off by 2 lmao.. i am even thinking his advise on the ffof straight with no extra perlite or light mix soil added was not good too because of how finiky they are to nutrients.. fuck! lol use the 5 gallon pots and 10 for outdoor:tiphat:

Jake777460

These dwarf 3 gallon things omg.. what do you think makes more sense ? A 3 gallon plant outgrowing a 5 gallon or the other way around.. cant believe i was so stupid but i can asure you without testing it for myself.. which i will in the next couple of grows 100 %, that no matter what pot plant you grow you will get better results with the 5 gallon pots.. 7 - 10 gallon for sativas or outdoor anything.. i know a guy that grew a plant in 1 of those kid swimming pools and the roots stretched right to the sides of the pool and even cracked through it to try to reach the dirt below...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Use 5 gal pots for autos.. i just bought 3 gal and regret it, the guy at the hydro shop said use 3 gal and anything over that would be a waste of soil.. well the plants roots will use what soil it needs and the soil can be recycled again and again plus the more room the roots have the less chance it becomes rootbound.
Strain dependent, of course, but yes, 5 gal will work. Small-medium sized autos 3 gallons adequate.

I got some 3-gallon Smart Pots for my Lowryders. 5 gallon would probably be preferable, but I need to be able to easily lift & move them so yeah. They're going directly in their Smart Pot homes--no transferring.

Guess it depends on the ultimate height of your plants.

Iamnumber

I keep hearing people on here saying deeper pots are better for autos than wider/shallow pots. So this year I've swapped my wider/shallower 10l pots for taller/deeper containers of roughly the same volume. So far, my first round of autos this year if anything seem smaller than I've had in the past, so I'm not convinced it makes much difference. However we have not had much sun, but lots of rain/cloud instead which has probably resulted in smaller plants.

Hopefully my third round of autos (sown a few days ago in standard square 4" pots) will provide a clearer comparison...

Hi, reply to old post but did you get results from this experiment?