What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

authentic real durban poison?

Oldganjafarmer

even today cannabis in South Africa is being contaminated, as I have understood the South Africans are getting used to smoke buds points of great quality as ... Malawi, Swaziland and Lesotho and even people who grow and Dutch skunk varieties and hydroponic Cape Town interior.
the South African Cannabiogen is a Swazi supposed ...
today it is difficult to find Durban Poison even in the same city ...
a greeting

Ineedmoney444

waveguide how is the flavor on your durban? i cant find anybody growing it indoors. favorite sativa. closest i can find of flowers is f1 durb the cookie n pie parent. its a super durban dom cross that smells like mint durban chocoolate n cookies.

jesbuds

Gifted a durban cut from a friend and turned out nice, sweet anise with pretty chunky buds, finishes around 9-10 weeks. Nice smoke and got a cross of it running now that has some of the same smells, enjoyable to me. Also made some S1 seeds of the original cut but haven't grown them out.

Attachments

• 11022014-Durban02.jpg
    11022014-Durban02.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 52

AmericanShamen

the closest thing i found that has the profile of durban and south affrican profile is took power plant by dutch passion since it is a ibl x mozambica by S.O.A Landrace made f1 and the uniform i almost every seedling is identical f2 might be variation ... but the f1 smell is fuel but kind of banana sweet , and scotch tape smell , and Some big huge sativa leaf big uniform structure other small petite leaves but big stature.

waveguide

Veteran
waveguide how is the flavor on your durban? i cant find anybody growing it indoors. favorite sativa. closest i can find of flowers is f1 durb the cookie n pie parent. its a super durban dom cross that smells like mint durban chocoolate n cookies.
for the longest time i couldn't find a way to describe it.. "astringent, medicinal, unique.." i just grew a miniature f1 and noted that the odor i had previously been unable to identify does have an anise component.

i wonder if that site is a reseller of nirvana's early durban. dunno. but there are good sativa genetics in the packs.

walkabout

A few people asked me about a good Durban landrace lately. I just can say that an interesting heirloom cultivar of Durban Poison will be released soon from what I've been told... Keep your eyes open, I know from first hand it's a very good one!

Vibes.

Mustafunk,

Would the cultivar you are referring to be the one that is newly released by cannabiogen?I just snagged a pack either way because I figure a durban from cannabiogen will probably be the best durban I will be able to find since I don't have any awesome old school connections but I was just curious seeing as you say you know first hand of its goodness haha

An old Overgrow post by someone named Daryl said that there were many varieties and the climate and topography was as varied as California . I grew the Durban cut from Organicann in Santa Rosa Ca. Home of the Emerald Cup , good luck mine would have grown forever and the buds were very light and fluffy . They did turn purple and survived 29( degree temperatures but too much work form me .

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Another quote by Derrayld...
Quote:
"I live and grow in a Coastel stretch called the Wild Coast where you will find Durban and the Transkei, 2 major growing regions in South Africa and the World.
So I am exposed to many different variaties of DP, Swazi, Kei, Malawi, Lesotho, etc.

Here is a simple run down of a few and best growing conditions:

The flowering times are generally longer and the plants will like their space more than a hybradised skunk for example which will grow smaller.
The highs all tend to be smooth, euphoric, crasy highs.
Bright colours, very enjoyeable.

Swazi-
tends to be a chunky bud or a long slender bud.
With big thick resinous buds ala Hashplant.
This bud grows with an unmistakeable hashy consistency and a deep hashy odour.
I`ve grown swazi that looks, tastes and smokes different.
You get your chunky orange buds, your dark green sticky buds, etc.
All good and all an awesome stoning.
I find swazi to be more of a cerebral couch lock while still being sativa.
Almost more of a concentration herb.
Swazi generally grows in a nice bush, short stocky but can become big and fat.
Varies between Long slender buds and short chunky nuggets ala Northern lights.
Swazi SKunk, Swazi red, Swazi, etc.

Durban Poison-
I find grows in different forms as well from a big-headed variaty to my
favorite being a small headed strain that litterally makes you dizzy you`re so high, this is the one used to make the famous suger-sticks.
The well spoken about aniceed(sp) flavour persists with any DP variaty.
This year I`ve been working with a rare DP that grows with pink hairs rather than white.
Interesting strain.
Always leaves you feeling soo happy.
The Durban I have grown is generally alot longer flowering than the advertised DP from seedbanks wihich has SK#1 to help it along.

Transkei & Lesotho-
Lesotho Mountains are also in the Eastern Cape.
Transkei is also in the eastern cape.
Lesotho and Transkei buds are awesome, both with a strong fruity aroma and taste with a serious stoning.
Varying between cerebral high and downright silent stoning.

The thing with the Transkei is that you can walk in the hills from village to village and hut to hut and in each hut you`ll most likely experience vastly different bud.

You can however identify a few generally superior strains.
Cofee Bay, being a dark green , red haired bud.
With a soft smokey smell and a lovely guava after taste.
Delivers one of the most intense stonings I`ve ever had.
I had to lie on the floor because I kept falling off the chair.
I couldn`t even sit on the floor because I kept falling over.

Undumbi between coffee bay and port st johns will be where you`ll find the largest variaty of bud anywhere.
I`ve walked in fields of purple and yellow and then gone a minute down a hill and walked in a field of nothing but sticky lime green buds with the odd Thick Swazi plant thrown in.
Undumbi I find is a very fruity taste, very sticky and a lovely light green colour.
Also one of my favorites more for sheer enjoyment of smoke than the actual high.
I personally will not always grow the strongest herb but will grow a particular herb if it stands out to me.
I find Undumbi normally will grow with some seriously resinous sticky buds that are just too good and tasty to ignore.

Then comes Port St Johns between Durban and Undumbi Area.
This will either be a cross between Kei and DP or straight DP genetics.
The differences are easy to note with DP having a smaller , typical sativa style leaf.
The transkei being a larger leaf with thinner leaf patterns.
The Bud can vary between Large sticky buds to your perfect smaller DP that is quite honestly scary sometimes.
The kind of herb that makes you dizzy or go blind for a few secs.
We grew a christmas tree Pt St Johns that smelt and tasted of Ice cream.

Malawi -
Most Malawi is still to this day found in cobs which is the malawi heads wrapped in a Mealie leaf and cured like this.
Awesome stoning, very cerebral while incredibly powerful at the same time.
A trait of many SA strains is the powerful sedatory effects.
Not like an indica but more of a very warm positive stoned feeling.
Very relaxing
Malawi is great, with a positivly amasing earthy, hash smell.
Like good Red or Gold Seal.

Congo Black was some of the darkest herb I`ve ever seen with a monster hash aroma and taste while still beeing fruity.
Massive massive seeds.
The congo in my opinion is very closely related to Swazi.
It is a very similar stoning.
The darker appearence is what distinguishes it and ofcourse the seeds.
However a sign of a good swazi is also massive seeds.

Almost all African Strains are generally long flowering plants and are big yielders when grown correclty and pruned well for maximum bud exposure.
The also like to be bent and tyied and in general made to work."

"Strain report on Swazi and it`s myriad of local crosses.

So from my experience I`ve noted 2-3 different variances.
Firstly my favorite, swazi skunk.

Swazi Skunk- grows in nice long, thick, very chunky indica like buds.
Grows in lovely autumn colours, red, oranges, light greens, etc.
The tastes is nothing short of hashy, yet fruity.
The bud itself is very compact and scissors are need to cut through the crystal laiden arms
The plants I find can vary from short stocky plants to tall lambsbread trees.
The High is a very strong cerebral high with more of a couchlock effect than most strains.
The smoke leaves a fantastic Afghan hash taste in the mouth.
The nature of the High and look of the bud leads me to believe there is a slight indica hybrid somewhere in it`s family tree.
One of my favs.

Swazi red - is a far greener, almost dark green to black.
Covered in red hairs as well as a good crystal count.

The bud tends to grow in massive thick buds, they look like thousands of hairs neatly packed in breadloaves.
I`ve seen this plant grow from short stocky christmas tree, to massive trees with thcik heavy buds that look just like bread loaves, in shape and thickness.
The smoke tends to be a very earthy taste and after effect.
With a controlled, smooth high.
More of a sativa in this one and the high prooves it.
Now I wouldnt sya it is a very strong strain but if you like very smooth focussed highs then this one is a keeper.
I smoke loads of this herb and always find I can continue daily tasks quite easily while still feeling a pure high.

Swazi Gold - this is very closely related to the Swazi Skunk but I feel the bud is even more indica based than the previous 2.
Very chunky bud with an incredible long lasting smell that you can`t get rid of.
I had a kg of this herb in my boot for a week and after that there was no removing the smell from the upholstry.
It`s awesome.
The bud itself is super strong with an incredible smoke and high.
One of those buds you smoke and while your smoking you allready know by the taste that the high is gonna be great.
The seeds as with other swazis are massive dark brown seeds.
Vigirous growth and dark purple stems.

Swazi Gold and Swazi SKunk, although similar are vastly different in taste and high.
Swazi Gold is a more intense couchload(head mash) while the Skunk is a nice combo of the 2.
The bud is low in leaf, while the Swazi green is a higher leaf to calyx ratio.

As with most South African Genetics, this bud grows failry odourless until middle to late flower and into harvest when it takes on a fantastic smell and taste.
Only compareable to a good gold seal hash."

"Zimbabwe Rooibaart -

This bud was a pure sativa smoke with a serious narcotic stoning.
Small nuggets covered in red.
A very smokey taste.
But the high is very heavy and narcotic, leaves you quiete and dazed. Left my friend's mom asking him if I was taking any medication because I looked wasted.
Very good herb and very strong.
Not one that makes the rounds too often though."

In my opinion the poison of Durban area could come from the old traditionnal cultivar from Swaziland, related to Madagascar i think.

Yes it may be from Swaziland just because weed is bought in Durban it could be from up north were there is a warmer climate . I grew Licorice Durban in 83 and picked September 29 this year the Durban clones were not picked till December 2 nd and tasted like berries not licorice , were not red and rock hard but blue and purple and very light and fluffy , if I weren't,t 67 and semi computer illiterate I would post pictures I am also old school and have been robbed many times

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
every time someone mentions this strain, it takes me back to 1988.

:)

black licorice with an edge of peppercorn.
GREAT music weed.....

ahhh...the days.....

baduy

I grew 5 DP from dutch passion in 97, had 3 females. One was medium sized had huge buds,very Dutchy looking, with no taste no smell and no effect, the two others were the aniseed/Licorice giants with loooong foxtail buds and ended up being my personal stash.
As I grew several strains in the same spot seeds were not reliable, must have been trying every fkn DP from every seedbank since but I never found this phenotype ever again only weak washed up versions and more than often obviously NLed.
Shame on the seed companies for letting vanish such a perfect genetic as we growers at this time didn't know enough.

self

I was gifted a cut of Durban a few years back, but I don't know if it was legit, it definitely sounds different than some of these posts.
What I had finished very fast, early September. Grew like I would expect from a stocky mountain sativa landrace. Smelled of carrots and anise-mint, but mostly carrots. Mid range thc but racy high. I lost the cut, but crossed it with Buddha Tahoe og and sweet tooth #4 before. I'm running some of those beans now, curious about the results. If I get something nice I'll share here.

Koondense

Veteran
For anyone interested in Durban Poison, the Tropical seeds company is just having a great promo giving away a pack od Durban Poison '70s with every order in july. :tiphat:
I believe it's the same Durban Poison as being sold by Cannabiogen.

From the Tropical Seeds site:
Durban Poison'70s is a sativa strain from South Africa and one of the rarest pure strains in the world. It’s well known for being the strain used by the warriors of the Zulu tribes and appear in great amount of current best hybrids. It has remained unchanged since the 70's by a small group of South African local growers until we received it a decade ago. Since then, it has been used in hybrids like Durbakistan (Durban x Pakistan) or Durban Punch (Durban x Ciskei) but had never been marketed in pure form. We are currently working to offer this strain in the near future. But as we know the long waits are hard, for that reason we would like to share with you the first steps of our work where we have already found the qualities that have made it famous worldwide !

Strain: Durban Poison’70s
Strain Type: 100% Sativa
Type: Regular, male - female
Hybrid: Pure sativa from South Africa
Flowering times: 80-90 days
Yield: Average-High
Bouquet: Old school sativa
Effect: Instant energi & uplifting high
Developed by: local growers (SA), aeritos (SP) & Charles D. (SP)

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
For anyone interested in Durban Poison, the Tropical seeds company is just having a great promo giving away a pack od Durban Poison '70s with every order in july. :tiphat:
I believe it's the same Durban Poison as being sold by Cannabiogen.

Yeah it's the same strain shared many years ago by African Herbman with several different people, TSCo offered already several interesting Durban hybrids in the past too... but it came from modern bagseed scored by Herbman at South Africa, not really 70s or oldschool genetics like Sam's one for example. Are you sure the info was about this one and not some of the strains that USC sells through TSCo nowadays?

Anyway African Herbman was collecting and preserving different african bagseeds at the time. Swazi, Durban, something else that he bought as Congo Black and so on (although this one didn't really look like a traditional congolese purebred), it's still possible to find that info here at the forums. Some were interesting, others not so much, just like any bagseeds. That's why sometimes is easier to look for old farmers or preservationists in order to find selected genetics.

This are the original Durban Poison pics that African Herbman posted a decade ago:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1135576&postcount=2

CBG's South African was bagseeds from Cape Town as well, so either it could be Durban, Swazi or anything like that. Normally Durban Poison weed came packaged in what they used to call "durban sticks", while malawi came in cobs and others as Swazi came as matchbox weed. Traditional Durban, Malawi Gold and Swazi packaging forms can be seen here:

street_packaging.jpg

What happens in South Africa is similar to Mexico or any other big Cannabis producer. Plus the country simply became a hot spot for the African cannabis market. Many of the african weed is exported through South Africa all over the continent and even towards Europe. The demand for weed in South Africa is so big that they even buy weed from most neighbouring countries like Swaziland, Namibia, Malawi, Lesotho and so on. So i'm looking at South Africa more as a big melting pot of african genetics, rather than the home of the Durban Poison.

Notice that South Africa is the first Cannabis producer in the continent, this is an old graph from the UNODC report but it gives a good idea about the situation. Unfortunately, few African countries have replied the Cannabis surveys in order to keep publishing the UNODC's Cannabis reports worldwide:

africa6.jpg

The largest mass market for cannabis products in the region is undoubtedly South Africa. It seems that there exists a kind of South African "cannabis complex" whereby some areas have specialized in producing cannabis in order to supply the consumer markets, most notably those in the large urban areas of Johannesburg (and Gauteng province in general), Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, and Cape Town, Western Cape province. Although there is little doubt that cannabis is grown throughout South African territory, OGD has identified 4 distinct areas that seem to have specialized in cannabis production as a significant source of income. These are parts of the South African provinces of KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape (the former Transkei), as well as the two small independent states of Swaziland and Lesotho, which are in reality highly dependent on South Africa, both politically and economically.

South Africa has now reached a level of such importance to the international cannabis trade that many of the countries that surround it, for example Swaziland, Tanzania and Lesotho, now produce cannabis primarily for export to it.

Durban is undoubtedly the most famous of South Africa’s landrace varieties, and was once a common sight in Amsterdam coffeeshops, although currently any “South African” cannabis on sale in most establishments is more likely to be Swazi in origin.

Even what we know as the original Durban Poison from Sam Skunkman was south african bagseeds shared by Mel Frank. Then this Durban Poison and Durban X Skunk hybrids were sold to most dutch seedbanks, the rest is history. But let's keep in mind that Durban Poison is more like a generic name, just like Colombian Red, Oaxacan Gold or Vietnam Black. There are literally hundreds of traditional cultivars all over those places. The thing is finding a good representation or something close to what you are looking for among them.

Anyway I've found this Durban was pretty simiar to the Swazi Red by Afropips in overall terms of high, structure or even terpenes. Classic South African dagga plants.:biggrin:

Anyway African Herbman was collecting and preserving different african bagseeds at the time. Swazi, Durban, something else that he bought as Congo Black and so on (although this one didn't really look like a traditional congolese purebred)

Back then, AH was kind enough to share with me the location of his source of 'congo black', which I visited on more than one occasion.
what I was offered there each time seemed to be just Swazi (of which I still have some seeds), although the buds were lighter in colour than the buds in the pics he posted, so it could be anything really.

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
@Mustafunk, have you tried Seedsman Durban x Skunk? And do you know if it is in fact Sam's Durban skunk? I recall Sam saying everyone liked the Durban x Skunk better than the straight Durban. I'm going to run it this winter and find out, just was curious of your thoughts on the subject.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
@Mustafunk, have you tried Seedsman Durban x Skunk? And do you know if it is in fact Sam's Durban skunk? I recall Sam saying everyone liked the Durban x Skunk better than the straight Durban. I'm going to run it this winter and find out, just was curious of your thoughts on the subject.

I haven't tried those but I kinda enjoyed the Kerala/Skunk. I guess only Seedsman would know about that but I guess it could be, keeping in mind that they bought seeds from Cultivators Choice years ago and they used to offer all their classics too: Haze/Skunk, Kerala/Haze, Kerala/Skunk, Skunk1, Original Haze and this Durban/Skunk too.

:tiphat:

The Revolution

Veteran
Gifted a durban cut from a friend and turned out nice, sweet anise with pretty chunky buds, finishes around 9-10 weeks. Nice smoke and got a cross of it running now that has some of the same smells, enjoyable to me. Also made some S1 seeds of the original cut but haven't grown them out.

Dude if you've ever seen pure durban or any pure sativa variety, youve gta know this isnt durban. Maybe a hybrid, but that plant u pictured is more indica than anything. I see the majority of "durban Cuts" going around are this indica. Hardly any sativa in it.. Plz man if u make s1s dont label them as durban bc this isnt it. No offense meant either, it just baffles me that ppl pass these indica plants off as durban. Durban is a pure sativa, and grows very tall and lanky. Distant internodes, with thin wispy buds, that develop into a stack of calyx.

There is most definately authentic pure durban still out there. Seeds in fact. QUite a few ppl still holding these.

Mustafunk lots of great info you've dropped on this thread, very much appreciated!

Latest posts

Latest posts