What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

authentic real durban poison?

SoaringHi

Looking for the same, doesn't seem to exist in my area. All I can find is what people are calling Durban Poison lately. No anise smell, chunky hybrid looking buds but the high is still excellent. I would be happy if I could snag a cut of both.

nordsman

The bud structure was so unique...kinda inbetween what you see as swazi skunk and rooi bart....the big fan leafs stuck way out from the bud structure..medium dense buds kinda leafy..with curled funny bud leads with these silly giant oversized trichomes...but with smaller trichomes on the bud itself....indescribable very potent smell..that a single tiny bud would stink to high heaven..sweet spicy anise liqurish and skunky

waveguide

Veteran
just blabbin.. when i started growing, DP was what i got for strain advice. i picked them up from "maryjane-seeds.nl" (not real name) and still post enthusiastically about it... :p

some skunky phenos, it's dutcherised.. but generally distinguished. a few bad pics in my "old" album.

big yield, foxtail to fuk. grows like vine. thin leaves, nothing like the "DP" you see all over nowadays that looks indica.

anise i don't know about - it had a unique, astringent smell to me (not wintergreen but the same sort of smell) i also get from haze and kerala.. like you could snap the stem and rub it on cuts.. like it's gonna clean you out systemically...

the smoke reminded me of the "camelhair" they used to do VW upholstery out of? again just ~synaesthetic association.. earthy, very enjoyable..

and without going into story, there were folks who wouldn't touch it.. guess it gave them a bad fright (course i told it to fuk w my enemies, bcs i have those). like, i threw a half pound of it in a dumpster in ajo bcs i had to catch plane. sold other strains, even o haze for 35 an oz.

i hav tuff fkn life u no.

anyway - sure there was at least one durban thread around in the last year with some other nld vars.

nordsman

It's a special smell for sure..herbal and minty I wanna say it also had an allmost Dr.pepper or rootbeer note as well...hard to describe but make no mistake I'd reconize it again in a second..

Was the first real strain I grew..got beans from an avid outdoor grower...had a killer pheno I ran for about 2 years indoors just micro for personal...let it go not knowing what I had....nothing I've come across yet has even come close.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
the smoke reminded me of the "camelhair" they used to do VW upholstery out of? again just ~synaesthetic association.. earthy, very enjoyable..
:laughing:

yes if i remember correct it was around 90' when we grow Duban Poison... was great for 4 years but after it was a complete different plant... and it had this special aroma after a good cure 3 month and more... before it was harsh and spicy...
we never got a real Durban Poison again... all was crap later...
M.:tiphat:

need4weed

Veteran
I was gifted an Durban cut that is really unique. The leaves are very very small and the buds are rounded. The smell is indescribable, i want to say cherry cola, fruity cigars with a fermenting note along with a touch of spice, maybe a slight fruit flavoured liquorice. it is nothing like i have ever grown before
My source also provided me with a 16 yo cut of SSH that is very highly regarded around my area and he tells me that the DP makes the SSH dull and boring

Oldganjafarmer

CBG sells South Africa.
is a line of Swaziland, I suppose it's like the Durban Poison, is also the Sensi Seeds, I guess the Sensi Seeds will be so fast for having acclimated to European climate, but may be the durban Original poison, greetings.

waveguide

Veteran
picture.php

the skinny leaf stuff in this image is what i posted about earlier.

i recently ran some f1s for a seed pres run and discovered the "mysterious astringent medicinal smell" which i had previously thought unique to this strain is, in fact, somewhat anise. there's more going on than just anise, which is why i never perceived it as such before.

anyway. for me, this resolves the discrepancy between my durban experiences and what others report, and, if my word is anything to you, then this durban is relatively legit.

and, i think they're on 2 for 1 at the moment, which could mean old/closeout stock.

:tiphat:

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
running a pack of FEM sativa seedbank... IE the nirvana guys...
it's original durban backcrossed too northernlights for stability...
will know after they flower....

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Sensei's Durban Poison

Sensei's Durban Poison

Prolly not what you're looking for. Looked way more indica (Dutch) than I anticipated and was just OK smoke.
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Crossed it with a Pine Queen Haze cut and that was a great medicinal bud. Almost out of that, people gonna cry cause I lost that cross.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
dawn patrol, beautiful durban!

It was some beautiful stuff, not many pistils turn colors like that but it was an absolute bitch to trim and the effects were unremarkable until I crossed it.

As I mentioned, this does not look like what I have come to know as Durban Poison, it has way too many Indica growth traits (thick columnar flower development and very close internodal spacing) so I'm sure some Indica genetics were introduced in this offering.

But the cross was awesome in so many ways, easy to clone, vigorous growth, pest resistant, finished in 65 days outside, easy to trim and for a number of older people (40 - 60) it had medicinal properties that keep them coming back for it. The PQH father's influence took it back to the sativa side and corrected a lot of the shortcomings of the DP mother.

I popped about 30 seeds from the cross and selected about 8 if I remember right. 3 of those were male so I made some seed, but all the females were pretty much identical in their expressions. I took a bunch of clones and grew a bunch of weed :biggrin:. I kept what I thought was the best mother and grew clones of her the following season.

Unfortunately I lost the mother and none of the seed that I made was viable, I suspect due to harvesting at 60-65 days and not storing the seed properly.