What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VbTx's

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
OE x VbT @ 8.5wks of 11/13

OE x VbT @ 8.5wks of 11/13

thanks for everyone stopping by, and posting. :tiphat:

quick pic update on the OE x VbT cross...
picture.php

saludos

The Hatter

Veteran
Nice bud shot. She looks very sativa leaning.

I did end up cracking the two VB pheno OE x Destroyer seeds and so far they are the most vigorous growing of all my new seedlings. I'm hoping they scratch that upbeat landrace sativa itch. I recently lost most of my collection of clones due to a bad batch of rock wool cubes that had a really wonky PH. I lost 1/2 of my genetics which really hurts because you can't simply go out and find the sort of strains I like in the medical community. People just don't carry things like tropical land race clones so when you lose something like your prize Zamaldelica there simply is no replacement except to go back to seed and pray you luck into a suitable replacement. Luckily I have a load of really nice seeds to fall back on. I'll try and get some photos posted of the new babies.

Lammy

That's a real shame Hatter. I bet you had some amazing clones. I've been thinking about dividing up my seed collection so in case anything happens I don't lose everything. I've got some seed that made a few years back of my Bubba Kush X VBT. Towards the end of the year I'm planning on doing a run of some ACE genetics including the Fem Panama breeders pack, the Fem Malawi breeders pack, Std Destroyer and probably some fem/std golden tiger. Do you have any thoughts on what I should cross to the Bubba Kush × VBT?
I've got a male Gorilla Glue#4×OE that i'd use to pollenate the BK/VBT for sure.

Last edited:

The Hatter

Veteran
That's a real shame Hatter. I bet you had some amazing clones. I've been thinking about dividing up my seed collection so in case anything happens I don't lose everything. I've got some seed that made a few years back of my Bubba Kush X VBT. Towards the end of the year I'm planning on doing a run of some ACE genetics including the Fem Panama breeders pack, the Fem Malawi breeders pack, Std Destroyer and probably some fem/std golden tiger. Do you have any thoughts on what I should cross to the Bubba Kush × VBT?
I've got a male Gorilla Glue#4×OE that i'd use to pollenate the BK/VBT for sure.

I'm just an amateur pollen chucker, but from my own experience with making crosses Ace Panama can produce some beautiful and VERY high yielding hybrids. Although I have not personally grown out any Destroyer crosses aside for those two I have in veg right now, I have seen others get some beautiful results pollinating Destroyer with more conventional modern strains or other IBL sativas. Ace Malawi is pretty legendary for creating crosses too.

With the little bit of breeding I have done the one lesson I have taken away from it is that the best results I have had by far come from crossing two relatively inbred and stable lines with one another. So for instance when I crossed Ace Panama with an F7 Jack I got way better results than when I crossed it with an unstable polyhybrid.

Breeding really comes down to personal tastes so what I would recommend is envisioning your ideal goal for your Bubba x VBT breeding project and then once you have that idea in mind start picking what you will cross it with based on reaching that goal. So for instance if you were looking to make the strain more electric and upbeat maybe cross it with Destroyer. If you want it to be more mellow, faster flowering and more frosty maybe cross it with the Gorilla Glue #4 x OE. If you want to make it into monster head crushing smoke go for crossing it with the Malawi.

Out of your genetic stock I would personally probably be crossing the Destroyer x Malawi, Destroyer x Panama and Malawi x Panama but my tastes lean way into the sativa side of things and are likely quite different from yours.

The only thing I would warn you about is that I hear Gorilla Glue #4 doesn't breed true. In other words it is an unstable poly hybrid so when you breed with it you probably will end up with a load of different phenos in the offspring. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something to keep in mind since you might have to go on a pheno hunt when you grow them out. I only know this by reputation and have never grown out seeds from it myself so take it with a grain of salt. Everything else in your genetics library is remarkably stable. Like I said, I'm just a humble pollen chucker so you might want to ask Dubi or one of the other proper breeders around here what they think.

Lammy

Thanks for the response. That's some solid advice. I was mainly asking because I haven't really smoked too many of Aces genetics. I've got some babies of a cross with Gorilla Glue right now and I was just noticing that a couple of them have really narrow leaves. It's a good point you bring up about the variety you get when using unstabilized genetics for a cross. It would be suitable to grow out a good number of those because it's nice to have variety when you grow out a bunch rather than them all being the same

The Hatter

Veteran
Thanks for the response. That's some solid advice. I was mainly asking because I haven't really smoked too many of Aces genetics. I've got some babies of a cross with Gorilla Glue right now and I was just noticing that a couple of them have really narrow leaves. It's a good point you bring up about the variety you get when using unstabilized genetics for a cross. It would be suitable to grow out a good number of those because it's nice to have variety when you grow out a bunch rather than them all being the same

Even though Gorilla Glue itself is indica leaning in effect if I remember right it has Chem genetics in its lineage so there are definitely some sativa genes in that pool.

The Hatter

Veteran
Lowfalutin, with a little more cure did that murkiness you described in the buzz of one of your phenos ever clear up? It's interesting that crossing VBxT and C99 wasn't super speedy given the genetics. I'm a fan of Cindy myself and think she is one of the best modern strains to cross IBL sativas with.

Edit: Sorry for spamming up your thread with these repeated posts.

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Lowfalutin, with a little more cure did that murkiness you described in the buzz of one of your phenos ever clear up? It's interesting that crossing VBxT and C99 wasn't super speedy given the genetics. I'm a fan of Cindy myself and think she is one of the best modern strains to cross IBL sativas with.

Edit: Sorry for spamming up your thread with these repeated posts.
hat- there's a possibility that an even longer cure could have cleared up the high, but some phenos (of any strain/cross) just end up not being interesting. to begin with, not all phenos of the c99bx1 (from mosca) used were electric. and my limited experience with vietnamese black tells me that it's not a fuego "sharp" electric sativa. like nepalese, maybe it's one of those "in between" indica and sativa landraces. still interesting and unique to be sure, but not like in a haze/thai or african strain kind of way.

i did the OE x VbT cross with the goal to dilute the yunnan and thai components a bit so that they're only contributing 25% each in the final result (theoretically)... with the hopes of seeing more VB-centered offspring, with dashes of the other two doing their thing. the OE was pretty VB-leaning, so that should help too.

looking forward to seeing results of your OE x destroyer cross. :dance013:

saludos

PS no worries on the "spamming", as i only see it all as the sharing of info

Lammy

LowFalutin
I should probably go back and reread the thread. But what was your issue with the VBT? Did you just lose a clone of it or only have a male? Did you want to bring down the flowering time? I never got a chance to try mine because I seeded the entire Garden.

I'm giving a lot of thought to running some of my Bubba Kush X VBT. Later this year or next winter

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
LowFalutin
I should probably go back and reread the thread. But what was your issue with the VBT? Did you just lose a clone of it or only have a male? Did you want to bring down the flowering time? I never got a chance to try mine because I seeded the entire Garden.
I'm giving a lot of thought to running some of my Bubba Kush X VBT. Later this year or next winter
lam- no issues with VbT.
i just did a few crosses with a VbT male, a few years ago now.
the thread's title "VbTx's" is short-hand for "VbT crosses".
cheers

Lammy

I guess I was just curious what your breeding goal was. If there was something you wanted to change about it. But yes I agree crosses are fun

The Hatter

Veteran
hat- there's a possibility that an even longer cure could have cleared up the high, but some phenos (of any strain/cross) just end up not being interesting. to begin with, not all phenos of the c99bx1 (from mosca) used were electric. and my limited experience with vietnamese black tells me that it's not a fuego "sharp" electric sativa. like nepalese, maybe it's one of those "in between" indica and sativa landraces. still interesting and unique to be sure, but not like in a haze/thai or african strain kind of way even though Cindy herself was very speedy and energetic.

i did the OE x VbT cross with the goal to dilute the yunnan and thai components a bit so that they're only contributing 25% each in the final result (theoretically)... with the hopes of seeing more VB-centered offspring, with dashes of the other two doing their thing. the OE was pretty VB-leaning, so that should help too.

looking forward to seeing results of your OE x destroyer cross. :dance013:

saludos

PS no worries on the "spamming", as i only see it all as the sharing of info

I've run a load of C99 crosses and I have definitely run across phenos that were more stony and indica leaning even when the other parent was something very sativa leaning. Although nobody knows what the father of Cindy was, since she was a random seed out of a bag of Jack, my guess is it was some fast flowering indica like northern lights are maybe a fruity skunk style strain which is why sometimes her kids have throwback phenos that lean that way.

I think you are right about VB not having a really intense electric buzz. The VB leaning OE I had was certainly sativa feeling but it was of the warm, clean, uplifting and euphoric variety rather than electric and heart pounding. It actually had a really nice effect. The fact I am finally growing out this cross was in part because I ran across this thread and remembered both of the parents fondly. The Destroyer pollen doner was a strong electric thai style sativa so I figure the children should have a nice strong soaring buzz that's a mix of the two if I am lucky. They also seem to have that awesome F1 hybrid vigor which rocks. They are towering over my other strains that were started at the same time.

Last edited:

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
^ should be a nice cross, hatter. how's it coming along? ^

vaping a sample nug of my recently-harvested
orient express x vietnam black-thai cross.
nice clean up sativa high so far...
picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi The Hatter,

You have very good ideas using solid inbred and stabilized lines to produce your own crosses :yes:
I'm very sorry to hear you have lost half of your mothers :( Please, let me know if i can help you in any way. Kind regards

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran

vaping a sample nug of my recently-harvested
orient express x vietnam black-thai cross.
nice clean up sativa high so far...
View Image

Lovely LowFalutin,

I can see clear evidence of Vietnam Black's influence in your cross.
Looks resinous, tight and tasty, well done! :)

The Hatter

Veteran

Beautiful bud, nice work. It's awesome when your own crosses turn out well and by the looks of that bud yours did. What are the aromas and flavors like?

Of my two Destroyer x Orient Express babies one remains with me and the other went to a friend who is just starting her medical garden and wanted to try growing something close to a pure sativa. You just can't find genetics like that in the local dispensary clone market. I took a cut before sending her off.

The one I held onto was flipped to 12/12 about 6 days ago. I snapped a couple of really quick shots of them over the last few weeks so I'll see if I can dig up the images and post them. One of the plants has a slight mutation resulting in extra branches popping out of the inter-nodes at places. The one I kept looks a little more VB and Orient Express leaning. It's a very vigorous and well structured plant. Big fan leaves but thinner than the OE mom's with an open branchy sativa structure. I let everything veg too long this time so a late starting straggler could catch up after an unusual number of males and a couple of old seeds didn't pop. I am praying she doesn't grow up into the lights too badly. The overcrowding is already cramping their structure and driving them to stretch for the light. I might try some side and under canopy lighting to keep the middle canopy lit and healthy.

Last edited:

The Hatter

Veteran
Hi The Hatter,

You have very good ideas using solid inbred and stabilized lines to produce your own crosses :yes:
I'm very sorry to hear you have lost half of your mothers :( Please, let me know if i can help you in any way. Kind regards

As always, you are most kind. Just the fact that you can process credit card orders now is a huge help. I am going to make an order for some fresh seeds sometime over the next day or two.

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Lovely LowFalutin,

I can see clear evidence of Vietnam Black's influence in your cross.
Looks resinous, tight and tasty, well done! :)
gracias, dubi.

Beautiful bud, nice work. It's awesome when your own crosses turn out well and by the looks of that bud yours did. What are the aromas and flavors like?
gracias, H. too early to make sense of her aromas and effects,
as she's only getting started on her cure. will definitely follow
up on her here.

saludos

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
after weeks of not much happening...
happy to report that the OE x VBT
reveg is finally up and running...

picture.php

father and revegetable are
resting comfortably at home.

saludos

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
OE x VbT re-veg beginning to get her vegetative stretch on...
picture.php

(leaves encroaching, mid-right, are from this same plant)

lower right leaf shows evidence of spider mite activity.
this cross has been one of the most attractive to the little bastards.

the first clone attempt from her didn't take, and will be trying another soon.
she's much more firmly re-veg'd now, and that first clone was very small.

flowering indoors this fall.

saludos