What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

5 strains at the same time

I would like to grow 5 strains at the same time but worried about the harvest time. I grow in a tent and will dry in the tent so all will have be cut and hung to dry same time.

I would like to grow the following below;

(Any experts shed any light on this)

Skywalker OG Kush DNA Genetics (Reserva Privada)

Holy Grail Kush DNA Genetics

Shoreline Devils Harvest

Strawberry Sour Diesel Devils Harvest

Purple Urkle Flavour Chasers

All will be feminised seeds

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grow one strain at a time. With photoperiods, harvest times on a variety are unpredictable. Don't rely on breeders finish times...often skewed.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
got 8 strains going few of them stretched. only thing running multiples everything doesnt like the same amount of nutes .had two the super soil was little to hot for.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
It's not the best idea in the world, as most people here would agree. It's not the end of the world, either, if you decide to do it. In my experience, there is a real concern that not all plants (even within the same genetics) require the same levels of nutes, so you will end up catering to the low-feeders at the expense of the high-feeders' full expressions. Then, as you've already suspected, harvest times come at different times, and you will end up harvesting the longer-flowering ones before they're ready, and/or the delaying the harvest of the ones that finish earlier.

It's not the best idea. But it's not the worst thing you can do. I highly recommend you do one variety at a time, and even then I recommend you try to do only one phenotype at a time (unless you're working with clones and you know exactly what to expect with each individual).

Imma Bri

Your worry is legit and telling you that you are split between what you know you should do and what you want to do.

However, I prefer growing multiple strains at once for the variety. It is so nice being able to go to your cupboard to a score of jars of varying varieties. And, some strains i get used to pretty fast.

However, I grow soil, and the grow I am starting up is perpetual. This makes it easy to move things around, and im not using my grow room as the dry room.

Every post made here so far is 100% accurate in the concern expressed, and i experienced the "hot soil" for some of my strains.

Buuuuut, the variety is nice to have.

Your problem will be that you have to dry in the same space. A big problem it sounds like to me.

My problem back in 2011 was:

#1 - Uneven use of space by the different strains harmed the strains with less branching.

#2 - Height issue because I didn't know the strains

#3 - Soil ran hot for some of them, and nothing I could do but hope they didn't crispy critter, and they did not. Yields were very very satisfactory nevertheless.

#4 - Photo-period prevented efficient use of the space and timely start of the next grow, which actually would have resulted in my not having any plants up when i was busted if they had all been the same and finished at 64 days like the AK47. :laughing:
---------------

The timing is important for you. Therefore it is probably best to use only 1 strain, or strains with the same finishing window.

-Briana

Thank you guys for the info.. I am considering 2 strains, 4 plants of the same harvesting window.. as this is my second grow.

NEED 4 SEED

Build a separate drying box, connected to the grow boxes airflow or in the same room with the tent/odor filter! This is what you will be doing anyway some time soon if you're serious about it....lol...