What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are you guys using your trimmings while still wet to make your BHO?

Ive only ever made butane honey oil from dry product. I was wondering if any of you that make BHO with your trimmings do so while the trimmings are still wet and fresh? And if so, what kinda differences can one expect from doing it this way?

Thanks for checking out my thread.

Stinky

Last edited:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I just made some solid oil using frozen wet trim.... tastes great too. i have a theory that wet trim makes better tasting oil than dry trim, because dry trim smells like shit

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Shcrews said:
I just made some solid oil using frozen wet trim.... tastes great too. i have a theory that wet trim makes better tasting oil than dry trim, because dry trim smells like shit
Your trim might smell like shit but mine smells just like the weed i am growing. I would suggest adding some kind of carbs to your plants diets if you are lacking sugar and flavor man. Also with bho it is one of the only ways to get full flavor out of your starting material.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
chubbynugs said:
Your trim might smell like shit but mine smells just like the weed i am growing. I would suggest adding some kind of carbs to your plants diets if you are lacking sugar and flavor man. Also with bho it is one of the only ways to get full flavor out of your starting material.

^^^not "my" trim... haha u misunderstood me i think

I see large quantities of dried trim all the time and unless it is stored very well it is gonna smell like old leaves.... fresh trim, on the other hand, still has all the terpenes in it, and smellls better than it would after being stored in a bag for 6 months

i guess the real issue here is WHERE your trim is coming from. if you are growing it yourself, then you can make sure to dry/cure it properly. however, if you are buying dried trim, or get it as a gift, it is often in mass quantities and rather flavorless after a while

what my stoned ass is trying to say is: if you can't store your trim properly, run it wet. it will be great

PS my plants do not lack sugar or flavor :)

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Just thought id let you guys know

Just thought id let you guys know

I just ran a couple ounces of frozen wet Urkle trim and got 3 grams of straight AMBER GLASS

tastes just like purps on the hotknife (what i wouldn't give for a Kutvape lol)

but yah i say wet trim/bud is just fine

anyone who disagrees care to enlighten me?

wordtree

wet trim has a tendency to freeze solid in the extract tube and cause blowouts. I think really if you have a bunch of nice wet trim with all the terps, as you say you should dry it properly and then run it...you won't lose anything in a couple days and I daresay your oil will be even better tasting.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
^^^i am embarassed to say that i had a blowout last night due to a tube that was packed WAAY too tightly with wet trim..

nothing was wasted, but the shock made my ears ring for a few minutes

..but that has happened to me with dry material as well, when it was packed too tightly

moral of the story: screen and coffee filter, held on with a hose clamp = no blowouts

haha it was pretty crazy seeing 3 OZs of trim solidified, flying through the air like a bullet . good thing this neighborhood isnt nosey :laughing:

i dry sift everything before it gets ran for oil...dry yeilds way more than wet...you guys dont use a screen over your coffee filters?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
^^do you think x amount of material will make more oil when dry versus wet? ,or do you mean you can fit more dry trim into the tube?

i usually see about the same yields off of dry/wet, as long as i'm using the same amount of material it doesn't really vary

just wondering cause if there really is a bigger yield off of dry material then i am confused as to why? because it seems that the THC should be dissolved by the butane regardless of water content

but hey who nows,you learn something new everyday

dale gribble said:
you guys dont use a screen over your coffee filters?

i do now! ohh yeaah

Last edited:

jimbob420

i see a bigger yield off of drier stuff but it will be less quality, also please use a screen when doing your extractions, everytime someone blows an oz of weed into an extraction dish full of bho, somewhere a hippie dies.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
jimbob420 said:
please use a screen when doing your extractions, everytime someone blows an oz of weed into an extraction dish full of bho, somewhere a hippie dies.

funny shit man, thats sig material..

mine blew off before there was any 'tane in the dish...... lucky me, i wasted nothing!

USE A SCREEN seriously and hose clamp

wordtree

you guys are packing too much material for the tube or making uneven layers of material, methinks...gradual packing, tamping down as you go instead of just cramming in a bunch and pushing it down makes a big difference. You don't want pockets in your tube, the differential in density is what causes blowout. Pack your shit in even! I've never had to use a screen and I use 1 cut down brown coffee filter ring.
about the dryness, I think I said my piece but it is worth mentioning that quickdries for trim or bud will obviously not be as tasty or even as potent as a proper dried material for a run. I don't think wet is any tastier except in case where a strain has a more volatile terpenoid profile than usual, mostly in the citrus range or astringent aromas that leave the bud quickly. These are the terps that usually fade into the background with a cure or disappear completely. Remember that the butane will grab most/all of the oleoresins and terpenes it comes into contact with. Garbage in, garbage out (concentrated garabage even, but it often improves or allows intake of previously unusable stuff)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Shcrews said:
moral of the story: screen and coffee filter, held on with a hose clamp = no blowouts

i use a single layer of coffee filter, and never get blow outs. i never run wet material( much lower yield), and i always pack evenly. packing evenly is crucial to prevent the chance of blowout.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
wordtree said:
I think I said my piece but it is worth mentioning that quickdries for trim or bud will obviously not be as tasty or even as potent as a proper dried material for a run.

i dont agree. most strains it makes little difference how fast you dry it i have seen. maybe a small difference, but hard to detect.

jimbob420

yea i quick dry when needed, i used to put a bunch of bud in a drawer with a bunch of silica gel when i wanted to dry ASAP. I will agree completely that the packing is the key but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, I just found it to be good habit to use the screen in case I got too stoned that day or was just not paying close enough attention when packing tubes. You know when your packing 30+ tubes things start to get redundant and you can easily make mistakes. I have of course been forced to run the tubes sometimes without the screen and I have only had one blowout ever and that was very very early on in my learning process.

Latest posts

Latest posts