What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana industry brought to a standstill by new pesticide testing regulations

PDX Dopesmoker

This is yet another of the many market disruptions which have come to the Oregon weed market since recreational legalization. If you're in the business in state thats behind OR on legalization then study these and the similar patterns in other states and you will be able to predict and plan for the future in your own locales. The patterns are predictable, people never seem to be prepared at the deadline.
I was able to have predicted this one months ago because I lived through so many previous ones.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
What an absolute joke. How about all the cancer causing glyphosate (round up) sprayed on all the food plants? Oh no big deal its not reefer. Sounds like more of the good old fashioned american bullshit. And its bad for ya. RIP George Carlin

-Funk

mowood3479

Veteran
Seriously, how hard is it to grow without pesticides?

The problem (as far as I can tell from reading the article) is that there are only 2 labs certified by the state to perform the testing. The labs are not keeping up with the demand at the stores...
I don't think the article even mentioned the rate at which products were failing the pesticide testing....
Although maybe I missed it iam illiterate

Sluicebox

The other side to this is the old school growers who knew their game got ran out. I mean the ones who for instance know how to keep bugs at bay organically. The new money coming in is building big and when your big and new then have a problem it's a big one. Solution is for them to hit them with pesticides. I'm hearing nothing is getting tested and to market yet I see high quality everywhere grown right. It's just there are many that didn't have the deep pockets to jump into rec. Or their county still banned it. The med growers know their stuff but recently got kicked to the curb. It's your big money ops and newbs in lab coats that think they're all that, having the issues. Yet that fine quality clean product is sitting still or being flipped dirt cheap out of desperation. Huge loss to the state in projected taxes. They forget it was mostly the med growers who got them this far.

SuperWeed

I just moved to Southeast Oregon from Ohio (tired of fighting the man, still fighting a case now). This is all very interesting.

I started working for a Collective and was told that we have "SuperBugs" here and that we aren't allowed to spray anything strong. At the same time I was told that the labs can't pick up any sprays after 45 days in the plant.

SO I don't know what to do, except grow healthy plants and pray.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
So who died and made you the official forum attitude Guru?

Although I gotta say it's a position you're well suited for:) congrats

Here's an idea from your favorite guru:

How about you stop concerning yourself with people's on-line personas, and instead learn how to grow without spraying shit on your plants?

:tiphat:

Maybe you'll stop feeling attacked when the subject of shitty weed comes up again.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Crying in the name of a bunch of crap growers growing in crap environments, who can only reach harvest day by spraying the shit out of their shit plants.

you sound bitter.

this is about decent growers with good clean product who can't sell it because of regulatory bottlenecks, and the consumers who find their options limited, and prices inflated. This violates free market principles, and as other people mentioned, is not standard procedure with any other crop.

hope they figure it out asap. I'm sure California can look forward to scenarios like this or worse with the passage of prop 64 and MMRSA

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
you sound bitter.

this is about decent growers with good clean product who can't sell it because of regulatory bottlenecks, and the consumers who find their options limited, and prices inflated. This is in direct violation of free market principles, and as other people mentioned, is not standard procedure with any other crop.

hope they figure it out asap. I'm sure California can look forward to scenarios like this or worse with the passage of prop 64 and MMRSA

Nonsense.

Why don't we ask the professional people who have worked at labs testing cannabis to chime in here? I know three that post in the forums, and they can school you on the facts on how much shit is found on herb that tries to pass off as medical.

Maybe you'll understand then. Because it seems your position is very naive thinking all growers grow clean product and that most are not in it only for the $$$.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
regulation that leave the consumer and producer shot out of luck isn't regulation it is legal oppression

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
you sound bitter.

this is about decent growers with good clean product who can't sell it because of regulatory bottlenecks, and the consumers who find their options limited, and prices inflated. This is in direct violation of free market principles, and as other people mentioned, is not standard procedure with any other crop.

the black market is freest of all

black markets reflect redundancy in nature just as exists in our bodies to assure survival

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
regulation that leave the consumer and producer shot out of luck isn't regulation it is legal oppression

Producers who can't grow without spraying shit on plants have no place growing cannabis, and preventing contaminated products to reach the consumer is called protection.

LOL at your black-market romantical view btw...where the consumers can get scammed and given poison ridden herb because you think it's "cool and shit".

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Producers who can't grow without spraying shit on plants have no place growing cannabis, and preventing contaminated products to reach the consumer is called protection.

No arguing that but if producers who don't use pesticides can't get their meds to market because there is a regulatory bottle neck the net result is the same

LOL at your black-market romantical view btw...where the consumers can get scammed and given poison ridden herb because you think it's "cool and shit".
It isn't romantic it is realistic, I have been part of the ec cultivation culture for decades and I know more farmers that use organics and zero toxins and it has been that way for decades as well.

What are your American cultivation experiences over the decades based on? Your own experience as a chem user or in a culture where people use chems and toxins? where you too afraid to speak up?

See that doesn't happen in my world, if it happens in yours that is on you.

Colorado is full of unamerican money worshipers who didn't have the patriotism and passion to make it happen regardless legality.

The people who have that passion and commitment, who comprise my chosen real life family have done more for me than any blood relation or good will organization.

It isn't romantic when it is real. Once again if your world hasn't been like that then blame your fucking self.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Because it seems your position is very naive thinking all growers grow clean product and that most are not in it only for the $$$.
i literally never said anything like that...

you totally missed the point of my post, which is that all the decent growers are getting caught in the crossfire.

mowood3479

Veteran

you totally missed the point of my post, which is that all the decent growers are getting caught in the crossfire.

this is his (bombadildo) standard operating procedure.. Make false claims and illogical inferences about what other forum members have said.
The guy is either a troll or a looney toon.
But he is the official forum attitude guru (o.f.a.g.) if ur into acronyms.

Basically his point is if ur saying that u think regulatory bottlenecks and bureacratic red tape is a problem for cannabis consumers in Oregon then.... (illogical inference here) u r a hack grower who uses banned pesticides and supports the idea of sick people ingesting pesticides...

I'd venture to say that No One in this thread made that claim or meant to infer as such but that matters not to our fearless bombadilo... He ventures into the thread to make a counter point to an argument no one was making and to shame and guilt us for things no one said, inferred or even thought.
Bravo, Bombadil. I'm so proud

Last edited:

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran

Decent growers are few and far between. And because they are few, and there's tons of demand, the prices rose. That's free market my friend. In fact, this only benefits the decent growers who can grow without spraying shit, the market is theirs basically. So your point makes no sense.

And why would we want same regulatory measures as other crops who manage to filter-in dirty produce? Lets do it right from the beginning, if we boast of being so decent and great growers, why are we afraid of being held to a higher standard than other industries?

As for Weird, your argument is laughable, the black market sold you paraquat ridden herb. I probably smoked a ton of it in the 90s, maybe that's why woodtroll doesn't like my on-line persona? The paraquat screwed with my on-line charm I guess LOL...

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Decent growers are few and far between. And because they are few, and there's tons of demand, the prices rose. That's free market my friend. In fact, this only benefits the decent growers who can grow without spraying shit, the market is theirs basically. So your point makes no sense.

And why would we want same regulatory measures as other crops who manage to filter-in dirty produce? Lets do it right from the beginning, if we boast of being so decent and great growers, why are we afraid of being held to a higher standard than other industries?

As for Weird, your argument is laughable, the black market sold you paraquat ridden herb. I probably smoked a ton of it in the 90s, maybe that's why woodtroll doesn't like my on-line persona? The paraquat screwed with my on-line charm I guess LOL...

I was growing my own in the 90's

:tiphat:

mowood3479

Veteran

So that's ur summary of the article (that this thread is about).
Talk about not seeing the forest thru the trees.
But what would I know I'm illiterate.
Thanks for explaining the article bombadildo. I was confused by my illiteracy, I thought it was an article about the red tape and backlog on lab testing causing a regulatory bottleneck on cannabis products.
I'm super glad u cleared that up for me.
(hey do u think I could hire u to explain everything to me?) I'm starting to think I go around this world misinterpreting everything. I know ur busy with ur job as official forum attitude guru but I'd pay u well.
U could be my Specialized Personal Education Director...
Thanks for your consideration:)

Latest posts

Latest posts