What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scotts-Miracle grow buys Gavita and Botanicare

Joint Lock

This is in the link posted as need to read

Hagedorn’s most eye-opening idea: someday expanding the company’s research on genetics into cannabis to create GMO marijuana. Showing an ounce of restraint, he says he is not ready to run that idea by the company’s directors–:yikes::hotbounce

O

Oakhills

This is in the link posted as need to read

Hagedorn’s most eye-opening idea: someday expanding the company’s research on genetics into cannabis to create GMO marijuana. Showing an ounce of restraint, he says he is not ready to run that idea by the company’s directors–:yikes::hotbounce

I read somewhere that Scotts has already teamed up with Monsanto to supply Uruguay with Cannabis. Also Austrailia I believe too.... White collar weed! Pfft, no thanks

Ya they want to put genetic markers in it so when the cops stop you they can swab your bud and bust you for anything thats not theirs

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I read somewhere that Scotts has already teamed up with Monsanto to supply Uruguay with Cannabis. Also Austrailia I believe too.... White collar weed! Pfft, no thanks

Uraguay is already selling weed. probably better than what Monsatan would offer them, too...

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran

Unfounded, untrue. Please provide a solid link of proof of this or stop spreading misinformation :)

Ya they want to put genetic markers in it so when the cops stop you they can swab your bud and bust you for anything thats not theirs

Here is the correct patent related to marked cannabis for identification of medical marijuana

Marked Cannabis For Indicating Medical Marijuana
US 20120311744 A1 http://www.google.ca/patents/US20120311744

Way too expensive and lab intensive to be practical; this ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I was also unable to tie this inventor to Monsanto, perhaps you have information I have not come across? If so, please post it. Otherwise, let's not attribute things to Monsanto they have not done. They have done plenty of bad to our world, but let's hold them responsible for their actions, not for those of others.

I highly doubt patients will tolerate, or regulators will allow transgenic manipulations providing no known benefit to the consumer, of a medicinal plant. You can't just be putting proteins that produce fluorescence, emit UV spectra, etc, into plants and expect that the patients or regulators will accept it.

I highly doubt this patent will ever pay the inventors. Many patents are granted; many many fewer make it to market and make the inventor any money and I suspect this one falls into the later group.

My 2 cents,
-Chimera

I'm glad that that's a little too dystopian for this reality I've been trying not to feel disillusioned with lately.

It was probably just some BS I heard. This is apparently what I've become.

Thanks for the heads up.

Gry

I give Monsanto the primary credit for getting the Dark Act signed in last Friday.
The word evil looks right at home beside Monsanto from where I stand.
I am left wondering how much they spend on Green Washing ?

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Welp that sucks, Botanicare now..the bastards.

I was going to mention Botanicare has changed. I doubt the change has anything to do with this, but It does not look, smell, or work the same as it has in the past. Def changed recipe. I have not been happy with the results. Good time to switch it up I guess. Going to have to do some research because last I checked there wasn't anything else on the market I would use. This sucks..

Sforza

Veteran
I give Monsanto the primary credit for getting the Dark Act signed in last Friday.
The word evil looks right at home beside Monsanto from where I stand.
I am left wondering how much they spend on Green Washing ?

Who signed that bill? Does Monsanto have him in their pocket?

Chimera

Veteran
sforza welcome to the matrix, this is reality. Politicians get paid off to pass shit they don't wanna tell us about. In dark rooms, in the middle of the night, we get fucking no lube. I don't think thats it's just a coincidence that the AUMA is being talked about more and more and monsanto is buying out more of the companies that supply that industry. There is an old adage that it is far less risky to supply the tools needed to produce a drug than to actually produce it yourself.. think about it hydro stores and nutrient companies can deposit their money directly in a bank without hassle, not something a grower or dispencery owner can say

You clearly didn't read the thread.

Monsanto isn't buying up companies in the industry.

They license a product (Roundup aka Glyphostate) to a company (Scott's), which owns a subsidiary Hawthorne, whcih has been buying up industry related suppliers.

This is not the same as Monsanto buying up companies in the industry.

iBogart

Veteran

They license a product (Roundup aka Glyphostate) to a company (Scott's), which owns a subsidiary Hawthorne, whcih has been buying up industry related suppliers.

I think many regard Scotts and Monsanto as two peas in the same pod. People are wary of these actions, and rightly so. Over the last half century we've witness big business gobble up smaller businesses, consolidating industries, enhancing their incomes while the majority are left picking over the scraps. And many are concerned that these big corporations have other plans with our beloved plant other than just making money off of it. Almost feels like the drug war has turned asymmetrical.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like whatcha did with the place, Chimera.

Johnson and Sons are proud to bring you the latest, greatest, electrifying, testifying and mystifying product known as Bullshit-B-Gone. Guaranteed to work by 8 out of 10 gynecologists.

I do more like that.

ya sure this is harmless and in no way is it something we should pay attention to. Lets just all go back to sleep like the sheeple we've become. "oh you're here to ruin the cannabis industry, go right ahead sir no one seems to want to object".....

Last edited:

Chimera

Veteran
ya sure this is harmless and in no way is it something we should pay attention to. Lets just all go back to sleep like the sheeple we've become. "oh you're here to ruin the cannabis industry, go right ahead sir no one seems to want to object".....

Chill out dude.

I think you need to reread my posts as well as the thread, because I never said any of those things.

I just corrected the nonsense you were posting as fact. Get your facts right and nobody will have to correct you, pretty simple really.

Chill out dude.

I think you need to reread my posts as well as the thread, because I never said any of those things.

I just corrected the nonsense you were posting as fact. Get your facts right and nobody will have to correct you, pretty simple really.

i never said here are the facts guys, i'll have to come only to you for my "facts" from now on my mistake.

more nonsense i guess from the forbes article

That controversial decision was made one day in 2013 in Yakima, Wash., when Hagedorn wandered into a garden center. The store had hardly any Scotts merchandise, but there was a massive row of equipment for hydroponics, a method of growing that allows people to cultivate cannabis (or any other plant, for that matter) indoors, using targeted lighting and liquid solutions spiked with nutrients. Hagedorn asked to see the store owner, and out walked a short guy with wild hair and a lazy eye. He told Hagedorn that everyone called him an idiot when he first started selling hydroponics equipment, but the stuff was flying off the shelves, with an average receipt of $400–straight cash. It was a starkly different scene from what he’d just witnessed at a Home Depot across town, which had plenty of Scotts Miracle-Gro products but no hydroponics equipment. “Two worlds, same town. I came back, and I told everyone ‘We’re doing it,’ ” Hagedorn recalls. “ If you don’t like it, leave. We’re doing it. It’s beyond stopping. And we’re not getting into pot growing. We’re talking dirt, fertilizer, pesticides, growing systems, lights. You know it’s a multibillion-dollar business, and we’ve got no growth in our core. Are you guys stupid?”

Hagedorn is backing up his big talk with serious cash. He shelled out $135 million last year on two California-based businesses that sell fertilizers, soils and accessories to pot growers, recently spent another $120 million on a still-undisclosed lighting and hydroponics equipment company in Amsterdam and promises to invest about another $150 million by the end of 2016. Altogether, the deals are bigger than the largest single acquisition in the history of Scotts Miracle-Gro, which takes in $160 million of profit on $3 billion in sales annually.

There are plenty of other opportunities, too. Take pesticides. Since marijuana is still a Schedule I drug, the federal government has not approved any pesticides for use on the plant, so growers are using corn pesticides as a substitute. But production at marijuana facilities keeps getting shut down by authorities, who are fine with businesses selling weed in certain states but don’t want people smoking dangerous chemicals. Scotts Miracle-Gro is now working with state governments to secure federal registrations that will indicate which pesticides can be used safely on cannabis. The ultimate plan: roll out a line of branded pesticides specifically designed for pot.

but you know having a complete monoply on "the only" goverment approved pesticide for cannabis isn't shady at all

Last edited:

Chimera

Veteran
... and monsanto is buying out more of the companies that supply that industry...

^^^ quoted directly from your post #31 in this thread.

smh... nobody is asking you to come to me for facts, I'm just saying what you posted was misinformed. Monsanto hasn't bought ANY industry suppliers; zip, zilch, nada, none, zero. Is that clear now?

~~

You know this really changes nothing for me at all.

I don't use GH products, I don't use Gavita lights, and I don't grow with Botanicare products- even though I like their ebb and flow tables, the prices are ridiculous imo.

I also don't drink Budweiser or Coke, eat McDonalds, drive a Ford, wear Levis, buy my food from Piggly Wiggly, or play corporate consumer - whenever possible.

Big biz exists everywhere; your food, your clothes, your car. Do you drive a corporate car, eat corporate food, wear corporate clothes, log into Facebook on a corporate computer, or make calls or texts on an android or iPhone? Use google to search the internet? I bet you do to some degree, I bet we all do.

I do try to avoid giving big biz dollars whenever possible, but they are a way of the world these days. Just try to spend your dollars with local farmers and producers whenever possible.

And FYI there are no registered pesticides for Cannabis approved anywhere in the US. Not so for Canada (where I live currently). Someone has to formulate crop protection chemicals for the plant, and I don't see anyone else stepping up to drop the millions needed to do the studies and have products certified as safe under FIFRA. It's going be big Ag to do so. When the first one is approved it will be a monopoly for the first registered product, but more will follow in time. No need to foil-hat it.

Any ways sounds like you have a lot of mis-directed anger. Hope you can sort that out, maybe have a puff of some non-corporate cannabis.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts