What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

By Far THE BEST Rooting Gel, Dip, Powder I Have Ever Used!!

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Ive been using Hormex liquid it has IBA/NAA in it. I kinda figgured it out after doing a tissue culture with IBA seeing how quick the stem bulked up and showed nubs. Hormex was liquid, and I could simply drop it onto the cube. 2 drops will do it. And I set a personal record with it, got a Sour Dub to show roots to the bottom of a 1.5 cube in 4 days.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
In AOKs with this powder it's not going as well as it did for me in Jiffys. I found the label for the last bottle of powder I had before this brand of IBA. If some more could be found I'd do a side by side because it was good stuff.

It was Green Charm brand Rootone F, the only bottle of it I ever had. The F formula of Rootone was 0.2% naphthaleneacetamide hormone and 4.04% thiram fungicide. Was. If IBA is a revelation, you really missed out on Rootone F and this is a lame eulogy for it. Bayer withdrew the product from US shelves in 2010 for no obvious reason and they are out of the rooting hormone business here?

It's more proof that Bayer has always been the most evil chemical enterprise, because that was a best of class product well used by the old school growers. NAA can be sourced but thiram is gone? Sure you wouldn't want to sprinkle it on your pizza, but harmless organic green products are often the means to a shitty end. That explains some of the mold problems people have been having.

As much as you may be satisfied with IBA, add rooting hormone to the list of things that used to be better.

einhornisfinkle

I have done trials of clones, same healthy mothers. Some plugged with nothing but water, some with cloning gels, a few brands, one with aloe, one with saliva, and one with the powder. The best rooting rates were with the powder, and next in line was nothing at all, then saliva, and the gels came second to last. Aloe just barely rooted at all. The gels and aloe are meant for hard tissue plants, like fruit trees, hardwood, etc. Cannabis is soft tissue and doesn't even really need any help staying wet and moist, just the hormone powder will do, no gels or goo.

Floridian

Veteran
It took me almost 15 years of using Olivias and other crap before discovering IBA 0.1.Now I find it impossible not to get roots with this remarkable product.I know saliva works fine for many.Also armpit juice is killerlol.I just cant say enough about this product.For years I ran a perpetual and would always take 2 cuts from each plant just to be sure I'd at least have 1 survive and I wouldn't lose the phenotype.Since shortly after using this product I only take one cut and don't worry a hoot about losing it.It just doesn't happen to me and my galfriend IBA

Asslover

Veteran
Imvho Dip -n-gro is hands down the best cloning solution. It has all the "right" hormones and one bottle WILL be enough for hundreds of cuts.:biggrin:

Rondon

You want to not complicate things with rooting hormones...powders...liquids..or gels. My first one was WAY back in the day when Hydrofarm (Applied Hydroponics) sold Emilys Garden as Liz's Garden (High Times article) and sold thier own powdered nutrients for grow and bloom with it. I also bought the clone starter kit that came with a concentrated rooting hormone liquid. Way before Clonex gel.amd then all the rest. It was rebranded Dip n Grow. What the commercial nurseries have used....for decades. They all work. None is really better than the other in the grand scheme of things. The walmart amd home depot powders are just as good as the expensive hydro store shit. Just cheaper. That being said....i still fork oit the cash for Clonex. It lasts forever. I know it well and it works. In a cash pinch and if i got a ton of cuts to root....the home depot powders are just as good. Dont overthink rooting hormomes. They are all auxin based....and they all do the same thing provided you do your thing. Hell...most strains dont even need a rooting hormone. They got thier own in the branches. Especially if you "prepare" your stock mother plants in advance.

Floridian

Veteran
Well I'll be using it today after 12 days of 12/12,I decided to change my mind some of the cindy should go another run its pretty good.I bet the shit would work after 3 weeks of 12/12 well maybe not lol but the shits pretty amazing and roots wouldn't surprise me at all.

corky1968

Veteran
I've tried cloning using the gel and powder stuff. But always put too much and everything just dies on me. :laughing:

Lately, I've been cloning in soil without anything added and finally getting success.

It may take longer but it works.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Well I'll be using it today after 12 days of 12/12,I decided to change my mind some of the cindy should go another run its pretty good.I bet the shit would work after 3 weeks of 12/12 well maybe not lol but the shits pretty amazing and roots wouldn't surprise me at all.
I’ve taken cuts from outdoor plants that were over 4 weeks into flower. They took a long time but rooted and also went thru a reveg of sorts. Ended up having to take cuts of the cuts but was able to save the genetics. Also ended up with some real branchy bonsai moms.

Can’t remember if I used a gel or powder but I’ve switched to using mostly powders. As GO Joe mentioned Rootone F was the best but is no longer, it was the sh*t. I’m using the Bonide product now, it works pretty good and is cheap.

I’ve taken cuts from outdoor plants that were over 4 weeks into flower. They took a long time but rooted and also went thru a reveg of sorts. Ended up having to take cuts of the cuts but was able to save the genetics. Also ended up with some real branchy bonsai moms.

Can’t remember if I used a gel or powder but I’ve switched to using mostly powders. As GO Joe mentioned Rootone F was the best but is no longer, it was the sh*t. I’m using the Bonide product now, it works pretty good and is cheap.
Was the reveg process a result of light manipulation, or just the plant trying to reboot itself?

Betterhaff

Veteran
They went from outdoors to indoors, from sunlight to artificial light, with a much longer light schedule. They were also well along in flowering. And very healthy.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know this was mentioned but I wanted to re-state it: more isn't better. Too much hormone inhibits rooting.

Frostyqueen,

The idea is not applying concentrate, the idea is to buy a concentrate and dilute it to a usable level and save money instead of buying super diluted garbage that is expensive.

Sorry to have confused you.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Ive been using Hormex liquid it has IBA/NAA in it. I kinda figgured it out after doing a tissue culture with IBA seeing how quick the stem bulked up and showed nubs. Hormex was liquid, and I could simply drop it onto the cube. 2 drops will do it. And I set a personal record with it, got a Sour Dub to show roots to the bottom of a 1.5 cube in 4 days.

Another camper in the Hormex camp, except I dip the cutting in full strength Hormex for exactly 60 seconds before inserting in the rooting medium.

BTW, I use premoistened Promix BX for my rooting medium with a bit of Calphos and Promix PUR Mycos mixed in. Seldom do I wait longer than 12 days from snip to transplant--and that includes a 48 hour water soak between snip and Hormex treatment.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Another camper in the Hormex camp, except I dip the cutting in full strength Hormex for exactly 60 seconds before inserting in the rooting medium.

BTW, I use premoistened Promix BX for my rooting medium with a bit of Calphos and Promix PUR Mycos mixed in. Seldom do I wait longer than 12 days from snip to transplant--and that includes a 48 hour water soak between snip and Hormex treatment.
Not to say what you’re doing is wrong, whatever works best for you is the goal but…the affects or actions of these hormones/auxins are pretty much immediate. You shouldn’t have to soak the cutting for 60 seconds. It would be interesting for a side by side, do a quick dip and a 60 second soak and see if there’s any difference.