What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Portable Dabs

r00st3rsauc3

So I really enjoy my absolute amber concentrates.
Big thanks to Jump and Graywolf for their skillz!!

I currently use a titanium nail in either a small glass bubbler style oil rig or through an adapter on my 12" bong.

But I'm looking for something a little more portable.
I don't really want to go through making any other mix or blend of the absolute like I've seen for ecigs.

Just something for portable dabs.

I've found some but am not sure how they work, and more specifically if they'll work with absolute. My shatter is often pretty waxy (due I think to high ambient humidity) and can be quite viscous at 85F.

http://www.gentlemansvapes.com/products/espionage-micro-vape-starter

http://headiedesigns.com/shop/g-16-vaporizer/

http://gamerchronic.com/globe-vaporizer/

Thanks

JointOperation

ebay.. man.. grab a micro g . or a cloud V.. don't get the cloud 2.0.. even the Ego battery with a wax atomizer is great..

look for atomizers with a CERAMIC WICK.. those are easy to clean.. and last way longer..

usualy its just a piece of ceramic with a coil around it.. better for CLEAN TASTES !!!!

if u get a micro or a cloud.. grab the ceramic bowl atomizers.. they work much better ..

and if ur looking to spend like 100 or 150.. and get something u can rebuild.. so u can buy some wick and coil online.. and not have to keep buying atomizers. and u can have a nice clean DAB every time.. that's my next move.. I gotta sell a few thigns on ebay before I buy a nice rebuildable setup with a few diff size batteries and shit . cant wait..

here go to NAILEDITLIFE.COM .. look at the picture of the atomizer with the coil .. u can get that atomizer.. and battery and shit on ebay for cheap ... but I found that thtese ATOMIZERS on the nailed it life vape pen.. are the best ones to use for the smaller non rebuildable vape pens..

I wouldn't buy form naileditlife.. because u can get a better deal on ebay for the EXACT SAME shit.. and probably get more batteries or replacement atomizers...!!!

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That gamerchronic vape looks just like the one I have from R U Vaped. It's awesome. It changed my life, really. I spent pretty much every weekend last summer making hash oil after I got that vape. I went through over a pound of bud, since vaping the oil was just better than vaping or smoking buds.

It can hold enough for one or two big hits with lots of small hits after that. It only has 4 parts, so it's good to have replacements on hand. The battery, the atomizer, the glass globe, and the thingy that connects the battery to the atomizer. I always have a few atomizers in rotation. When they get coated in old oil, swap them out with a clean one and soak the old one in a jar of 99% isopropanol. When the jar's dark enough, evaporate the alcohol for oil you can revape or use for tinctures.

mingmen

gentlemen's is the one I settled on. works correctly...uses standard 510 battery...looks like a normal ecig kinda...and is small in size
never tried a globe I like but gave up on others once I tried gentleman's

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you like dabs, real dabs, where you feel your chest almost explode, and your head goes eleventeen places at once, and thats what you want, but in a portable format...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6307020&postcount=3266

"...I've got a little 'secret' to for all you that are using vape pens to smoke your wax/oil....

i noticed I wasn't getting HIGH from ripping the gpen or atmos. it'd be a descent little bump, but nothing nail like. fuck little 'bumps' from a weak ass products i don't want a bump i want a goddamn earthquake. i want nail rips in my hand and in my pocket without having to cart around a torch.

its gonna sound/read pretty "techy" and I apologize for it. but here's what you are gonna want to hook up... and you can go to your local vape shop and they can put it together for you, or you can buy it online and save some dollars. anyways...

1. Mechanical mod "body". I have a Nemesis. A friend of mine has a Smok Mageneto. It really doesn't matter which mechanical mod "body" you get, as long as it can hold a 18650 sized battery (more on that shortly)

2. Rebuilding Dripping Atomizer aka RDA. I have an Omega. There's lots of choices out there it can be confusing. But from what I have seen, the Omega, Patriot & Nimbus are gonna be fool proof. There are many many many others... alls i can suggest is 3 poles.

3. Battery/batteries/ & charger. you want an IMR 18650 type battery. no skimping. And get a nice charger. Take good care of yourself.

4. Wax coil. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. Don't get talked into a Seego or anything else like that unless you want to build a big giant gpen that sucks as much as the smaller ones. You are going to want either a stainless steel mesh, or ceramic wick, with a coil of thick gauge 22/24 wire around it. If you are in a med/rec state, the vape shop may just build the coil for you to spec - it only takes 5min for them to make and install. If not, you will either have to learn to do it yourself (hello youtube), or get creative and find a way to outsource your custom coil builds (thats what I have done). it should like like this when done (image courtesy of kingtut106).

Jtzkcu8.jpg

put a dab on the coil/s, hit the fire button for a sec or two while drawing, and keep drawing and then hit the button for another sec or two... exhale and a little cough cough and YOUR HIGH AS FUCK
..."

leroy_jenkins

+1 for greyskull! I have a mech-mod / portable nail I use and want people to understand that the difference between this and "pens" is incredible! Mine is a nemesis as well but with a nimbus clone atomizer. The coil is 2 kanthal wires, (24 guage IIRC) twisted together and then made into a 'tornado' shape for the nail part. I then built kind of a dam around the coil area with some eco-wool which I pre-treated with a bit of honey oil once it was all in place, for a wet wick to avoid 'dry-hits', and as a dam to keep the oil from leaking out into my pocket.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-07-19 01:47:28.jpg
    Screenshot from 2014-07-19 01:47:28.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 55

r00st3rsauc3

Thanks greyskull and leroy

I will try to locate the parts you suggested. We don't have a vape store here but I saw one is supposed to be opening soon.

I bought the cheap ebay one from my post above and it's garbage. I wanted to get a feel for how the things work. Plus it smells horrible. The coil and all the pieces stink.

Greyskull: do you have any links for the parts you describe?

Leroy: do you have a better pic and links to the parts?

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
those santa cruz things are not gonna produce the same size and intensity of hits as the mech mods will.... the santa cruz looks kinda like it has a seego style atomizer....

seegos work better with more battery power in my opinion
something like an itaste mvp + seego is a good solid rig for taking small to medium size hits
but not dabs to the cabeza...

more battery power more dab like hit.
more mah is what you want
i think....

I'll set up the links shortly...

flatslabs

Just wanted to show my latest coil before I give it a good test.
2 strands of 24 AWG Kanthal braided with 5 wraps for each coil around stainless mesh... with some girl scout cookies

Attachments

• twist.jpg
    twist.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 52

flatslabs

On that note, has anyone tried this XC-116 Ceramic Wick? Its supposed to be way better than the SS mesh, but is super expensive, like $15 for 1ft.

flatslabs

Here is a list of things you can search for on ebay to build a rig like mine and the ones discussed above. I am not providing direct links in case the auctions close or you want to search for a deal.

Search eBay for the following, These are the 4 main parts you need for your vape.

1) "Nemesis Mod"

- Get whichever color you want. I recommend getting the magnet switch upgrade if your seller offers it. It gives better feeling to the button

2) "Patriot RDA"

- Again, get whichever color you want. I got one that was drilled out for more airflow, which works good for our purposes.

3) "Efest 18650"

- These are the batteries. Make sure you get the purple 35A High Drain 18650 batteries. Do not get generic or cheap batteries. Get at least 2.

4) For your battery charger you have two options. "Intellicharger i4" or "Efest LUC v4"

- The efest charger is a little more expensive, but comes with a car plug so you can charge on the go and the screen gives you a lot more information about the battery status. Do not get a cheap charger either. No cheap chargers, no cheap batteries!

The next two items are really up to you what you get, you need material to build coils, which consist of wire and wick. You can find this stuff on Amazon or eBay

1) "24 AWG Kanthal"

- Your coil wire. Use any gauge you want. I am using the above. Make sure the listing says the wire is A1 grade.

2) "stainless mesh 400"

- You want a piece of stainless steel mesh which you roll up to use for the wick inside of your coil. I am not sure if the mesh count really matters, but the one I use is 400 mesh.

After that, all you need to do is build your coil which may seem daunting but really takes about 15 minutes your first time, 10 of which is spent watching youtube videos.

Also, an optional piece of equipment, but one I recommend is "atomizer ohm meter" so you can measure the resistance of the coils you are building. They can be dangerous if you are experimenting with new coil designs and end up wrapping a super low sub-ohm coil

Attachments

• pdab.jpg
    pdab.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 44

flatslabs

Also forgot to mention another optional piece is:

1) "Nemesis Hybrid Adapter"

- This piece is totally optional, but lets you reduce the length of the vape for those that prefer a more stealthy approach.

If you refer to the pic I posted above, it would let you totally remove that top silver ring. That ring is meant for a different kind of atomizer and isn't used with the RDA style we use.

hey thanks for the links. my friend dabs on one of these types of e-cigar type pens that he got for ~$20 online. ill ask about it and see. although they are quite identical, i like the look of the brands u posted more.

flatslabs

Trust me when I tell you your friends $20 pen is not on the same level as a device like this. You cannot even get the parts from china wholesale for $20 with something like this. The genuine batteries alone are going to run you that much. You can probably get all of the stuff I listed above shipped for under $100.

As has been mentioned before, there are room for both types of devices to co-exist, but what we are talking about here is a real battery powered nail. Those other pens are good for certain circumstances, but can't replace a true dab to the head.

When you have a device like this, there are no "safety" electronics involved at all. When you push the button, you are basically making contact directly with the battery to heat up your coils. The only limitations on your power output are the type of coil you twist and the type of battery you use which is why it works well for our purposes.