What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silica crystals

Klompen

Has anyone here tried using SiO2 as either a medium or as a wick? Kitty litter crystals are crazy cheap and pretty inert. I know with water it forms an extremely weak silica acid but it only tends to release 5-20ppm in water over a very long time frame(weeks at least). The stuff holds water like crazy though. Anyone have any experience with it at all?

troutman

Seed Whore
I haven't tried kitty litter yet. I think there's bentonite clay in it and that holds water.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but sands can have lots of SiO2. :tiphat:

Currently, I'm using greensand for more silica and trace element supplementation. :)

Klompen

Thanks man. I'm not talking about clay though. There's litter that is 100% SiO2 in the form of expanded crystals. There's a brand called "Mimi Litter" or some such that is really cheap. Lets see if I can find a link......

There are cheaper generics that are the same thing, but its basically this stuff:
https://www.freshstep.com/our-litter/crystal-litter/