What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sea of Green Grows

gardener60

I would like to know if there are any SOG threads out there. This is something that i would truly like to learn. Thanks in advance.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I grow SOG and have done in many years, now im back at it after a long break.
To me nothing else makes sense, under the law here where it's illegal but they don't count plants but scale the weight.

It's fairly simple, you cut the veg time, by upping the numbers of plants.
There is no ruel about how many plants you have, as each strain is a bit different. Indica, sativas and the many many hybrids all grow differently.

By cutting the veg, you will be able to finish a crop more per year.
You will also save power, and even tho each single harvest will be a little smaller.
Compared with the same plants with a few weeks veg, you will (if you do the math) in the end. Harvest more, at a lower production price with SOG.

Follow the link in my signature, im sure you can find some inspiration there.

Now I am not running commercial, so I am not doing 5 crops a year.
But thats more cos we got a boat, Im not home alot of the summer.

R

Rab.C

great post Palindrome i will have a look at the link thanks.it makes sense too me less veg
and more harvests suits me great

R

romanolescro

for me real sog are done with sativa dom strains
vigorous and stretchy strain that are put into straight 12/12 when they are just rooted in the plug
not even need to water the plugs under the t5 before putting in the hps room
600w at 120cm or more if you have many lamps
young seedling dont like much light

thats how dutch do it. fast and biggest yield

Somatek

I've always found it easier to keep bugs out/controlled in a SoG with the shorter veg time making it harder for them to get established.

VillageAnt

I do it like the guy in the link I posted above. Take clones off mother plants, and root them in an aero cloner. I use 2-liter bottle hempy pots, so when the roots of the clones are long enough to reach the reservoir at the bottom of the 2-liter, I plant them and put them straight under 12/12. I can pack 50 2-liters in every 2 x 4 space, averaging 14-15 grams per 2-liter, so about 24 oz every 2 month harvest per 2 x 4 space. Granted, you have to find a strain that is conducive to growing single stocks with no side shoots and packing the buds along that mean stock. That doesn't mean the strain has to grow like that when you are growing full-sized plants, it just means that when you grow straight to 12/12 from clone, it has to do that.

The gram/watt standard measurement is flawed. You can't get an accurate assessment without the variable of TIME included. For instance, if somebody is vegging for 2 months, and then flowering for 2 months and comes up with a pound, while another guy in the same space is going straight to 12/12 with a bunch of clones in an SOG, and comes out with a pound, clearly the second grower is doing better.

Lights can't penetrate more than 18 to 24 in, so, in my opinion, there's no point in growing plants any taller than that. You know when you see pictures of plants being harvested, and all the leaves are trimmed off, and the bottom half of the plant is nothing but bare stem, and the top half is all bud? All of that empty stem represents wasted veg time.

SOG is the way to go. Not only does it maximize the yield of every harvest, but you get many more harvests in per year.

Biologist

Palindrome, do you have a quick overview of what you recommend? I'd like to learn more about how people do SOG commercially. Pot size, length of time in veg, etc.?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Palindrome, do you have a quick overview of what you recommend? I'd like to learn more about how people do SOG commercially. Pot size, length of time in veg, etc.?

It's hard to say mate, it all depends on the plants and method the grower picks I guess.
As I recall I had something like 6" between my 3" netpots, in my old aeroponic setup, under 1K HPS lights.

Some strains I might jump a hole, and do less plants depending on how it grows.

Most commercial SOG grows I have seen, done in coco or soil, have been done with 2-2½L tall square rose pots.

I didn't veg as I understand it, I would cut clones 3 weeks before harvest. Root clones in RW cubes, takes about 2 weeks.
Pot them in netpots with hydroton, then leave them on the clone table for the last week. To send roots down between the hydroton, kept under the same light as rooted under.

Harvest done, all the old netpots and roots where removes.
System cleaned over night, fill the reservoir and load up the room with new plants.