What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

help with choosing quantum leds please.

blodyn

Hi All

im getting pretty baffled reading the LED threads

im currently running x4 315W cmh in a 2.4m x 2.4m tent and
x2 315m cmh in a 2.4m x 1.2m tent.

im looking to switch over to quantum led boards LM561C.

im pretty happy to diy the light system,
not sure to go for 360 LED Board 3000k
or 288 boards 3000k
or is there a better option

could someone please point me in the right direction on how many boards id need for the 2.4 x 1.2m space

regards Blodyn

knuckles

Veteran
Hi All

im getting pretty baffled reading the LED threads

im currently running x4 315W cmh in a 2.4m x 2.4m tent and
x2 315m cmh in a 2.4m x 1.2m tent.

im looking to switch over to quantum led boards LM561C.

im pretty happy to diy the light system,
not sure to go for 360 LED Board 3000k
or 288 boards 3000k
or is there a better option

could someone please point me in the right direction on how many boards id need for the 2.4 x 1.2m space

regards Blodyn

I’d put 8 boards over that space with a mixed spectrum of 4-2700k,2-3000k and 2-4000k...about 1000-1200w should be fine.

iBogart

Veteran
Seems to me like you're about to spend a hunk of cash for not much more benefit. What are you anticipating to gain? CMH has a superior spectrum, a bit less efficient, but not by much. Maybe .4 Umols/w difference.

Pro Headies

Veteran
You want the new version 2 boards with LM301B Samsung diodes not the LM561C which are less efficient. Or you can go with the 324 boards with NT2L757GTR-V1 nichia diodes that can run higher wattage but are less efficient if that's your thing.

So you basicly have a 4x8 area, I'd do 8 boards. All the same boards, don't mix spectrums just buy the spectrum you want for all the boards.

I would buy four combo sets with two boards and two slate 2 heatsinks at $189 a piece and build my own rig. Then I'd run either four 240h-c2100a drivers if running 288v2 boards or four 320h-c1400a drivers if running the 324 boards. One driver for every two boards.

I have the 132 and 120 boards with LM561C doides in 3000k and 2700k i also have the 324 boards at 2850k, I feel the plants prefer the 324 boards at 2850k the most but without trying the new version 2 LM301B at 3000k I can't recommend one over the other. With the 324 boards you can run 8 boards at roughly 1280watts where the v2 288 boards would run at roughly 1120watts.

Koondense

Veteran
The intensity from your CMHs is too low, you'd need almost twice as much for a proper ppfd.
I'd rather go hybrid and put some QBs along your CMH setup, to add some good intensity to the excellent CMH spectrum.
Or maybe go all red led, to add some deep reds only.

Cheers

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I think I'd go with Koon.. And I think he's right about that not being enough intensity, depending on your grow style.

I'd be tempted to have a 550 in the middle and 4 CMH around it in a 8"x 8".. sigh I used to have lots of grow space but not anymore but I've mixed CMHs and LEDs and liked the results over having one or the other but the redder spectrum Led's seem to work much better with the CMH.

blodyn

Thank you for all of your replies
im limited to space with the tents
growing with a hydro drip feed system in hydroton, with 8 plants per 2, 315w cmh lights.
im pulling 3-3.5oz dry per plant, but know i could do better thats why im focusing on the lighting and im also trying out coco on my next lot.

i also use parabolic shades so have struggled to put any more lighting in there, i may try adjust a wings that way i could get an extra cmh light in or a qb board in the centre

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I think if you are happy with the quality of what you are pulling then maybe try changing to coco before you do too much with your lighting because changing too many things at once can throw your shit out of wack.

The quantum boards have surprisingly good penetration, and take up very little room, so you could just get a few of the 3 or 3.5k to get more red in the spectrum or try some of the single COB lights as they are super versatile and take up very little space at all.

Latest posts

Latest posts