What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are there any preppers here on the mag?

coldcanna

Veteran
Without getting overtly political, the direction things have been heading in our country for the last 15 years is really starting to feel scary. It seems like the culture of domestic spying and the militarization of our police, coupled with the seeming invincibility of those in power financially and politically that rob and plunder the nation at our expense. With how divided things are right now I really don't see things moving in the right direction anytime soon.

So without breaking forum guidelines and getting too political, what are you guys doing to be prepared for the uncertain world we are in right now? I'd like to start this thread as an area to share any and all ideas for preparedness.

For me it starts with security, I keep multiple weapons for different purposes. This is huge... most people think "oh I have a shotgun or a snub nose 38 so my family is safe.". I think it's important to tailor your arsenal towards different situations. Everyone should have a pistol hands down, shotguns for close quarters defense and bird hunting, a high powered rifle for long range shots/ sniping, and if possible an assault rifle for self-defense. After all, you can buy all the supplies in the world but if you can't defend them your screwed off the top.

I think after arming yourself, having a bug out bag is the next step. I haven't got that far yet so maybe someone else can jump in here and keep the convo rolling.

Green Squall

Sure, I dabble.

I have a dedicated closet full of dry goods in mylar bags with oxygen absorber's, canned food that I rotate, freeze dried food and lots of other odds and ends. I need to work on my water storage.

Weaponry is where Is lack. Although I do have an Enfield and a couple Mausers with sufficient amount of ammo for all three.

I'm nowhere prepared if something huge happened, but at least I have something. Storing extra food and water is the cheapest insurance you can buy.

coldcanna

Veteran
Sure, I dabble.

I have a dedicated closet full of dry goods in mylar bags with oxygen absorber's, canned food that I rotate, freeze dried food and lots of other odds and ends. I need to work on my water storage.

Weaponry is where Is lack. Although I do have an Enfield and a couple Mausers with sufficient amount of ammo for all three.

I'm nowhere prepared if something huge happened, but at least I have something. Storing extra food and water is the cheapest insurance you can buy.

The 303 Enfield is an awesome rifle, I remember shooting my old man's. Put a clay pigeon on a fence post 100 yards out and hit it second shot with iron sites. man those things are sweet shooters

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I had it all sorted in the Philippines, before I was detained, then deported 3 years later to the UK.

6 Hectares of beach front coconut farm with 700 trees, all fenced and gated, my own vegetable and flower gardens, sweet water from a deep well, a 25ft 'Banca' fishing boat with outriggers, a hectare of rice field, Papaya, Mango, Jackfruit, Banana and Tamarind and Cashew trees. 8 Hectares of fishpan, and a prawn hatchery, chickens, and a female Carabao...Sufficient dried and bagged rice, and tinned/dry food to last a few months.

Anti-biotics (plenty), first-aid packs, painkillers and water purification tablets.

6 well trained security dogs, a Polish AK47 (folding stock) with a 200 round drum, and twentyx30 round (7.62) banana magazines, plus 5000 extra bullets, half Russian steel tipped (armour piercing), half regular bullets. A Navy Special Colt .45 automatic, and a Shooters 45' auto with 2500 rounds cross-top hollow point ammo.

A buried 40ft container (safe room) and Perkins Diesel 32kva gen-set, and a 10kva Chinese generator, 5000 liters diesel(for boat engine, and gen-sets), 4 x 40 gallon drums gasoline(for the truck), 8 x 15kg propane (for cooking), we also made our own charcoal out of coconut shells.

All on a remote island 9 degrees North of the equator.

Me and my family could be totally self sufficient there, and be able to defend ourselves if necessary, but now,due to being deported, I am in a tiny apartment in suburban London, with a can opener and a non-stick frying pan.

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

Gypsy Nirvana, did you ever brew liquor from the cashew fruits? I think they call it lambanog.
I used to have a thing for a Indian liquor made from cashew juice, but I've never had the Filipino version and have wondered about it on and off for a while, but hadn't thought about it in years though until you mentioned growing cashews in the Philippines.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Gypsy Nirvana, did you ever brew liquor from the cashew fruits? I think they call it lambanog.
I used to have a thing for a Indian liquor made from cashew juice, but I've never had the Filipino version and have wondered about it on and off for a while, but hadn't thought about it in years though until you mentioned growing cashews in the Philippines.

Wracking my brains, I think I have heard of that particular liquor, one of my caretakers used to make some hootch from the coconut water/juice called 'Arrack' which was quite potent, they were always drinking it when the San Miguel 'Ginebre' ran out.....lol, I think lambanog might be distilled 'Arrack'.

Fermentation of anything with sugars in it, would happen rapidly out there, due to the climates warm/hot temperatures.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
would you bring an axe to a gun fight corky?

...we had axes, saws, hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches...all sorts of tools, and quite a few 'Bolo's' which are like a smaller version of machete'...

corky1968

Veteran
It's not a fight if you can't see me. LOLZ

I'll bring anything I can get.

Coming form a hunting family I have more than just an axe.

But axes don't make noises like a shotgun.

corky1968

Veteran
I can silence them all in 20 seconds.

Ever see what happens when 6 sirloin steaks get thrown to dogs. They like the steak handler. LOLZ

Gry

All my older relatives who went through the depression taught me to store food and water. The duck and cover atmosphere reinforced it as did scouting later on.
Always figured the prepper thing was just more corporate world marketing lunacy.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
They were trained not to eat strange meat, because we always worried about them getting poisoned, and trained not to take food from strangers. It's very difficult to train them to do this, but if you are persistent you can see results, although not 100% success with all dogs, it is possible...

Most all service dogs are trained not to accept food from strangers.

It's ironic because eventually 4 of those dogs you see in the pic were poisoned, but not by man, but by COBRA.