What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Found my long lost seed collection

I wood

I see a lot of people lusting after the Viet Black. It's probably a 16 week flower. Is this for personal consumption, preservation, breeding? Just curious. Most people back in the day didn't have the patience for a landrace sativa.

It's definitely on the "pop" list to make F2's and for breeding.

*Vietnamese black and colombian gold.*
Personal smoke and breeding.
I have been fortunate enough to aquire nepalese highland x vietnamese black and some colombian gold bastard seeds, but would trade my left nut for the pure stock.
16 weeks is doable.I had a colombian black that never finished at all but was harvested after six months, made great oil though. It isn't always easy being an indoor sativa masochist, but very much worth the effort. Ok, both nuts, after four kids i'm pretty much done with them both.
Nice list, should keep you busy for a while.
I hope they all sprout for you, thanks for sharing.

Coughie

I see a lot of people lusting after the Viet Black. It's probably a 16 week flower. Is this for personal consumption, preservation, breeding? Just curious. Most people back in the day didn't have the patience for a landrace sativa.

Personal consumption, preservation, and breeding - yep x3!

I'm a preservationist/landrace chaser at heart, Viet Black and Colombian Gold make my heart race lol

A lot of us younger/newer guys, that grew up reading the boards but didn't know anyone, have never had a chance to try these landraces because we were born after they were amply around, and now even the beans are hard to find..

So I've been on a mission to personally gather whatever is left, that I can find, in order to make sure its still around for my lifetime.. so hopefully that people younger than me, growing up and reading the same stories, have the same opportunities..

That's why Viet Black is the one I'm drooling over though

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran

My thing is I like the Sativa's. Growing up and smoking in the 70's, sativa's were about it where I lived. I miss them. Now a days, most sativa's have been, for lack of a better word, watered down, or tossed aside, for quicker blooming indicas or indica/sativa hybrids. Nothing wrong with a great stone ya ass to the couch indica, but the soaring ride in the clouds you can only get from a great sativa is getting harder and harder to find. Many of the sativas available to us today seem lacking somewhat compared to what I remember them being back then. First time I smoked Red Bud, as the effects came on it felt like all the blood was draining from my head. lol One hell of a feeling I've been looking for for years.
Down side as you mentioned is the long bloom time. The kind of plant you pop a couple beans at a time, find a female and put her in the back of the room while going about business as usual to let her do her thing. If she's worth keeping great if not pop a couple more and repeat. Keeps the space from being tied up.

That's just my 2 cent worth. lol

rykus

I just think that the old pure varieties are amazing smoke and have been steadily getting lost in the shuffle.... There use to be small groups built each of different genetics all over BC... After the last 15 years the mono crops have lost most of these unique varieties... Even the conisuers are looking on line and all getting seed that way instead of out of good local smoke...

But yeah the grapefruit X sweet tooth would be my number 2 , and the OG X diesel would be my three. Probably the misty X Snyder as my 4 and the candy haze as 5... Old bubblegum sounds good too...

Betterhaff

Veteran
Bean Collection: If you have a moment and an opinion...

What are the top 5 strains you think need to be preserved?

What are the top 5 strains you would like to sample?
lol, pick 5 in a cast of over some 125+. For me that’s tough but if you need any help in trying to germ any you can send some my way, I’ll give them my best shot.

After seeing that list all I can say is, if you want to know what to perpetuate, do it with the ones you want. What are the gems in your mind?

FireIn.TheSky

Bean Collection: If you have a moment and an opinion...

The top 5 worth preservation IMO would be,

SSH, basically the age of those seeds they could contain pheno's simply not found in todays SSH. SSH hasnt been worth a shit since 2008 and before. If those are from GHS SSH they could be even better as most of the notable SSH plants have historically came from GHS SSH. I would do an open pollination myself.

Vietnam Black, this strain is so rare even Reeferman doesnt have it anymore. Ace did a little work with a single female years ago but has since stopped. As a sativa addict I'd love to have this one in my collection.

Romulan, Im assuming based on age these are probably from Federation seeds. Romulan itself is incredibly rare these days Federation and the original cut even more so. It's a legendary strain that seems to have been lost to time.

Killer Queen, if this is Reservoirs, or the Vic High original still an epic strain worth bringing back.

Ice Princess, this is another one that has been lost to time.

Aside from these I'd say that old sensi stock is worth looking into, Sensi's reputation has gone down hill since the time those seeds were made. Out sourcing to Spain growers has really ruined the quality of many old Dutch seedbanks.

You have so many worthwhile strains it's hard to pick just 5, you are really holding on to a time capsule of genetic material the current cannabis market is dying for. This is the kind of stuff not many people thought to save so it is long gone. I've got my fingers crossed that you get excellent germ rates on what ever you choose to grow. I'll be a long for the show.

Katsu

Veteran
The top 5 worth preservation IMO would be,

SSH, basically the age of those seeds they could contain pheno's simply not found in todays SSH. SSH hasnt been worth a shit since 2008 and before. If those are from GHS SSH they could be even better as most of the notable SSH plants have historically came from GHS SSH. I would do an open pollination myself.

Vietnam Black, this strain is so rare even Reeferman doesnt have it anymore. Ace did a little work with a single female years ago but has since stopped. As a sativa addict I'd love to have this one in my collection.

Romulan, Im assuming based on age these are probably from Federation seeds. Romulan itself is incredibly rare these days Federation and the original cut even more so. It's a legendary strain that seems to have been lost to time.

Killer Queen, if this is Reservoirs, or the Lone Star original still an epic strain worth bringing back.

Ice Princess, this is another one that has been lost to time.

Aside from these I'd say that old sensi stock is worth looking into, Sensi's reputation has gone down hill since the time those seeds were made. Out sourcing to Spain growers has really ruined the quality of many old Dutch seedbanks.

You have so many worthwhile strains it's hard to pick just 5, you are really holding on to a time capsule of genetic material the current cannabis market is dying for. This is the kind of stuff not many people thought to save so it is long gone. I've got my fingers crossed that you get excellent germ rates on what ever you choose to grow. I'll be a long for the show.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I will do my best - preservation was the thinking in the first place when purchasing all these beans - I can't believe they finally turned up again.

Once I'm confident in the viability of the seeds (starting with extras), I'll start making some F2's and crosses. I'll probably pick a handful of reputable breeders to help with this project as the scope is too much to handle on my own :)

Peace, KB

neongreen

Veteran

No way I could only choose 5, but I would chose these, in no particular order:

Vietnamese Black F2
Metal Haze
Haze/Skunk F2
Sour Diesel x Crystal Locomotive
Orange Crush
Lemon Thai x Beauty & the Beast
Dutch Flowers unknown F1 tester
NL5 x Fig
Indigo Blue F1
Moroccan
Killer Queen
M42

All of them if I could, but these would be top of my list:

Vietnamese Black F2
Metal Haze
Orange Crush
NL5 x Fig
Mother's Finest
Aloha White Widow x Blowfish

:tiphat:

Katsu

Veteran
Somewhere in my bean collection is a RoadKill Skunk pheno, that's what I'm looking for. Any suggestions where to start?

Katsu

Veteran
All of them if I could, but these would be top of my list:

Vietnamese Black F2
Metal Haze
Orange Crush
NL5 x Fig
Mother's Finest
Aloha White Widow x Blowfish

:tiphat:

A fine list, but you should probably replace the Metal Haze with something else. I have a pack or two if you're really dying to work with it, but I haven't heard a single stellar report from anyone that grew them out. With so many Haze's to choose from, I don't think this is DF's finest work. I also have 2 packs of the Orange Crush, so I could probably accomodate you there, as well.

The bottom 3 on your list probably intrigue me the most - the Aloha White Widow might give the Blowfish a bit more punch. I've heard much about the FIG, and NL#5 was one of the greats... Mother's Finest was one of the few brick and mortar seed shop purchases I made...

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I was looking over that list again really hoping to see Genius listed in there somewhere. Oh well, lol

Coughie

Katsu,
Do you know much about the source of the pollen used in the Bubba Kush?
From Stash, right?

Same Bubba Kush line that VerdantGreen acquired and crossed to his Pre-98?
After you hit your Katsu cut with Stash's pollen?

Any info on the origins of Katsu cut or the pollen would be awesome

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
I had a cut of genius. culled it. I thought it was WAY overrated, but I guess that's personal preference.

Same here. Worst structure on any plant I have ever seen. Flowers are very generic, bland. I didn't understand the hype. Flowered her twice to make sure it wasn't something I did, then sent her out the door down the road, not something I would consider breeding with. The Cannacopia guys had some luck with her mated to Deep Chunk, but the mother never did anything for me either.

I was again offered a copy at the Cabana norcal harvest party in or 2012 but passed. There is so much better out there, no space for anything but the best or most unusual.

Cannavore

Veteran
Awesome collection and cataloging =) I have some of your Bubba Kush seeds that were f2'd that I am going to be getting to shortly!

Vomact

Quite a list. Blue Henry brings back memories. I just dug out some Somatooth #2. that I got from Annac about a decade ago. Do you think they will pop?

Katsu

Veteran
Katsu,
Do you know much about the source of the pollen used in the Bubba Kush?
From Stash, right?

Same Bubba Kush line that VerdantGreen acquired and crossed to his Pre-98?
After you hit your Katsu cut with Stash's pollen?

Any info on the origins of Katsu cut or the pollen would be awesome

Not sure I understand the question. My sole involvement with the Bubba Kush was a) buying it from GreenCrackMan in '01. b) sending it to everyone and their mother with the stipulation that they send it to anyone that wanted it and c) made a handful of crosses with selfed Bubba pollen and sent the beans to a bunch of people (no S1's sent). Apparently, mine was different than the "Pre-98" but I couldn't tell you as I never tried it.

Hope that answers what you need :)

TnTLabs

great list here Katsu, also nice to see you returned!.. you have a lifetime of work laying in front of you!! good luck

Same here. Worst structure on any plant I have ever seen. Flowers are very generic, bland. I didn't understand the hype.... there is so much better out there, no space for anything but the best or most unusual.

Can i ask what are your Top 5 favourite strains?
Also what strain are you most proud of?
cheers

Coughie

Not sure I understand the question. My sole involvement with the Bubba Kush was a) buying it from GreenCrackMan in '01. b) sending it to everyone and their mother with the stipulation that they send it to anyone that wanted it and c) made a handful of crosses with selfed Bubba pollen and sent the beans to a bunch of people (no S1's sent). Apparently, mine was different than the "Pre-98" but I couldn't tell you as I never tried it.

Hope that answers what you need :)

Appreciate it..
Sorry, I've got the story mixed up somewhere along the way - thats why I was asking...

Here's a snipit of the story as I've read it:

[FONT=&quot]As many of you know Katsu was well known for his Bubba cut, and he was also very tenacious when it came to sourcing genetics... the story goes that Katsu obtained some pure Bubba Kush pollen from a guy online and dusted his Katsu Bubba cut with it. Stash traded some of the F1 seeds with Katsu, grew them out and made 'F2s'.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]it is some of these F2s that i managed to get hold of and grow out.
from 6 seeds i got one dud, one girl and 4 boys. I used pollen from all 4 of the boys to dust a couple of pre-98 Bubba plants from my cut... [/FONT]

Just trying to get the facts right behind the Bubba Kush that VerdantGreen is offering, which is.. That quoted Bubba, males, pollinating the Pre-98 cutting... Looking something like:

Pre-98 x (Katsu cut x Bubba Kush)

But if the story is different...?