What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Allergy to cannabiss

TheMoon

Hello and good morning from overcast scotland.

i spent the last few minutes trying to determine where this thread should go.

I've got two auto-flowering strains that are well into preflower and that pungent aroma is already lingering in the air.

I have a 2 year old daughter who is showing signs of hay feverish symptoms. And im starting to question if she may be having an allergic reaction to the plants. I'm trying to recall when i last grew and was she on the go then. I did a quick google search and it seems like it may be possible to develop a reaction to the plants. i myself lately have had really bad sinusitis. i don't recall having this condition in the past while doing grows but i really cant remember.

Id hate to think that the plants in preflower are the cause to my daughter hay-feverish symptoms or does she just have the common cold or flu. It has been a not too bad summer either atm.. Pollen counts atm are shifting between medium to high. I hope its that and not the weed otherwise im going to have to get them put outdoors.

Can anyone shed a little bit of light on the subject . or has anyone managed to determine if this has been a problem for them.

asaf

If you have dudes, you can check with small samples of tissue and medical adhesive, put the samples on skin and cover it with the adhesive. In 3-4 days if exist allergic reaction the skin show red and or with small blisters.

I think the medical service in Scotland is public and universal as here in the Basque country. Best, first talk with your doctor.

The procedure for know allergic reactions is this, samples in the skin, usually dozens.

Go to the doctor, usually feverish isn't a symptom of allergic reaction.

I think.... Isn't usual allergic reactions to cannabis.
Very usual with farming products as bayer's seeds substances, clorpirifos, rondup, and a long long etc. Especially seeds treatments.

My best wishes for you and your family one strong and lovely hug.

Dr. Fred

When I handle my plant I get bumps on my skin that are very itchy, an when I harvest I get crazy hayfever... I usually take some hayfever tablets an they actually do help

therevverend

Veteran
I'm going to start my own thread about this soon but figure I should post my two cents. I get strong allergies in midsummer from contacting cannabis leaves and stalks, hives all over my arms and face. Once the plant flowers they go away.
I notice this post was on June 1. Your local pollen index says medium to high. There's tons of grass, tree, and flower pollen in the air. Even if you're indoors with the windows closed it gets in. My first guess would be that it really is hay fever. I know a lot of people who can hardly breathe from April until mid June.
Even though the cannabis smell is pungent it's not producing pollen. It's possible it's cannabis but it's far more likely to be all the pollen saturating the air.
Hope you discovered the cause and your daughter and ganja are doing great.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Yep, me grow mate gets red spots from handling weed, picked the wrong profession hehe. Luckily i don't :D But i've never seen or even heard of hay feverish stuff coming from just smelling and breathing weedy air, so to speak.

Anyways, what you could do*, is grow your autos outside. Totally doable in Scotland m8.

*Obviously not this year, but in the future :tiphat:

And i hope you find a cure to what ails you and yours :)

blastfrompast

Veteran
Yes my wife is allergic to certain terpenes.

Itchy watery eyes, etc. etc. Plus migraines if she is exposed for too long.

Same thing happens with lilacs, and roses, etc.

I now have to ship her outta the house for 2 days when i trim a room. I can't go near her if i've touched the plants (without showering)....

So yes it is VERY VERY REAL

McStink

I know that having certain stains brush up against my forearms makes me VERY itchy and gives me hives. At first I thought it was being exposed to the light too long. So I rubbed one of the suspected branches on my arm and stayed away from the light. Sure enough hives. Which is weird though, because I've never had a reaction to smoking any before.

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I kept the males of 3, six foot Sour Diesel plants. The pollen was so thick in the room I was afraid to go in. My nose ran like a fire hose and I was so sick it was a little scary. So if there are any male pods on the plant it could easily spread in the air.

I would think most people would have allergies to cannabis pollen.

sadpanda

i always got itchy forearms when harvesting so i always wore disposable powder-free rubber gloves + longsleeve shirt, and i also get hayfever but i find that fexofenadine (see link for various trade names) works WONDERS for that, and it's non-prescription (i get it from my supermarket/grocery store) and its not drowsy like some antihistamines, and it also works wonders at keeping my itches at bay when i sometimes get eczema

H

HemperorsKnight

When I handle my plant I get bumps on my skin that are very itchy, an when I harvest I get crazy hayfever... I usually take some hayfever tablets an they actually do help

Do u grow organically or synthetically im curious

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
I get hay fever anyway but now get it when cutting and dry manicuring bud

My buddy in Canada gets the same, except his eyes are worse

G

ganjygav

I get red itchy bumps on my fingers that are like tiny blister's. I alays put it down to feeds or ph down coming into contact with my skin as I only get this while growing. Mostly when plants are in flower.
I never considered it was actually the plant.

H

HemperorsKnight

My personal theory behind cannabis allergies may be the cultivation methods....
I've always wondered this myself as i met ppl who had allergic symptoms from cannabis...
What gave me that theory was the fact that food allergies didnt really progress till Monsanto started the food monopoly then ppl started gettin hardcore allergic reactions maybe due to the nasty chemicals that ppl cultivate with like synthetic nutrients and herbicides pesticides insecticides etc.... Just think about it....

mowood3479

Veteran
Zyrtec helps with my cannabis allergy (touching mature plants with bare skin or trimming in an enclosed area.). I get congestion and rashes. But Zyrtec daily helps with 95% off my symptoms.
Also allergies can develop or get worse with repeated exposures. I didn't have any cannabis allergies for the first 5 years or so of growing..
Kids can take Zyrtec also.. My daughter is on it.. (Not because of pot, but for other allergies).

NewI

Oh man I have allergies to polen too. When I'm around weed my nose runs like a hidrant and sneeze like crazy.

Latest posts

Latest posts