What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

one for the experts. (stump the chumps?)

mad librettist

Veteran
heya both experts and fellow chumps. I have a real puzzle here.

so my best mandala 1 was also very slow to clone. only one cut survived but the growing tip died. I left it be with its one fan leaf.

well 2 weeks later, it didn't die. new growth is coming in, but it started beneath the soil. it has now poked through and I have tiny new leaves.

here is the puzzle: the clone was taken in veg and kept in 20/4 from the start. the new growth, however, looks like reveg leaves. they are smooth, no serrations, just obvious reveg. what gives?

T

Tr33

nothing, it just popped up from a node under the soil leval.
no light caused the growth to form that way. Now it's free and will
recover nicely

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Probably since it's completely new growth, as in a reveg the plant was doing something else with that part of the stem, so it goes back to leaves like you'd have on a seedling..

Something to do with the repurposing of stem cells (or the plant equivalent)?

Did I pile the BS high enough to cover the fact that I'm guessing?

♥Mo♥

You give minimal info., so based on what you have given it sounds like the plant may have been getting ready to show sex under your lighting regime. That being said it is hard to tell again with the info. provided if your vegging plant was root bound, etc... None the less congrats on saving your plant and hope it does great for you.

mad librettist

Veteran
♥Mo♥;4261400 said:
You give minimal info., so based on what you have given it sounds like the plant may have been getting ready to show sex under your lighting regime. That being said it is hard to tell again with the info. provided if your vegging plant was root bound, etc... None the less congrats on saving your plant and hope it does great for you.

what info are you missing?

20/4 lighting taken from a donor plant of mandala 1 from seed at about 30 days old. Donor plant was vegging under 18/6. No reason for this plant to be making buds.

the "reveg" growth is coming from a node that was beneath the surface. It is not like seedling growth at all, it is like reveg growth.

♥Mo♥

what info are you missing?

20/4 lighting taken from a donor plant of mandala 1 from seed at about 30 days old. Donor plant was vegging under 18/6. No reason for this plant to be making buds.

the "reveg" growth is coming from a node that was beneath the surface. It is not like seedling growth at all, it is like reveg growth.

That would be enough info. right there. I have had plants that show sex under 24 hour lighting, my wonder diesel for one showed as female from seed in about the same time frame you are giving. Did you flower the donor plant as soon as the cutting/clone was taken? If so no way to really know if it was trying to show sex yet or not. Just my thoughts and I know reveg growth as well. Sounds strange but it does happen that plants can and will show sex under 20 or more hours. For what it is worth, mine did not flower any sooner than normal, just showed sex under 20+ hours light. It still took 60+ days to finish.:tiphat:

mad librettist

Veteran
♥Mo♥;4261570 said:
That would be enough info. right there. I have had plants that show sex under 24 hour lighting, my wonder diesel for one showed as female from seed in about the same time frame you are giving. Did you flower the donor plant as soon as the cutting/clone was taken? If so no way to really know if it was trying to show sex yet or not. Just my thoughts and I know reveg growth as well. Sounds strange but it does happen that plants can and will show sex under 20 or more hours. For what it is worth, mine did not flower any sooner than normal, just showed sex under 20+ hours light. It still took 60+ days to finish.:tiphat:

I actually did not flower until I had some rooted cuttings from the sister plants, so maybe a week after. This one was the runt of the litter, but once 12/12 was introduced, it overtook the others. It so far has put on way more flowers than the others, and way faster. I am thinking it will finish quite early and yield heavy. (so I want the mother to live for sure!)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think TR33 nailed it. the shoot was in darkness whist it grew to the surface - so it built up some flowering hormones.

VG

mad librettist

Veteran
one for the experts. (stump the chumps?)

sounds right to me too vg.

glad to report the clone is doing well. it came out fork shaped and it will bonsai just fine. the donor plant is almost finished at 49 days. it wound up not as heavy as the dominant vegger of the bunch but it is potent and tasty.