What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis and muscle development(sp?)

BOZWELL

I keep having a argument with some of the guys ant my gym ,they know Im a stoner and they keep saying youll never get big if you keep smoking that shit they say theve seen studys
dose such a study exist ,if so could some one point it out to me
btw I ant stoping toking ,just want to know if there full of sh!t
cheers

Last edited:
Ever watch pumping iron? Awesome movie... hilarious and quite insightful. Docu-drama movie about the events leading up to the 1975 ( may be a year off here) Mr. Olympia. The movie documents Arnold Schwarzenegger's preparation for the event (also documents Lou Ferrigno-- his father is hilarious). Anyways you should definitely rent it... at the end of the movie Arnold tokes a spliffy while he eats fried chicken and wishes Louie Ferrigno happy birthday. So Arnold was known to toke. Arnold is regarded by all bodybuilders as THE bodybuilding authority... at least in the era of the classic physique. If it's good enough for Arnold's physique, it's good enough for yours right?

KillBillbuds

The guys at the gym are full of shit. It's not gonna get you big or small. Extra calories, good diet, and training your ass off is the only way to get bigger. Even then, you're limited to what your body type can handle, unless you juice. And I'm not recommending that!

G

Full a shit is right!!My little bro and his crew do "nothing" all day but lift and smoke,there all built like fucking rock heads,full pipes and all.so the weed dont hurt ya,you could say it builds muscle!! :wave:

G

i also think the guys at the gym are wrong, for me personally after taken all the suppliments before and after a workout. i find it hard to take in the extra protein needed to grow, plus the easy protein i.e chicken, tuna, turkey just get old smoke a dube not so old and the fact that it helps you to just relax afterwards aswell after the suppliments (i feel a little cracked out from them) anyway just my 2 cents :joint:

BOZWELL

learnin2grow said:
Ever watch pumping iron? Awesome movie... hilarious and quite insightful. Docu-drama movie about the events leading up to the 1975 ( may be a year off here) Mr. Olympia. The movie documents Arnold Schwarzenegger's preparation for the event (also documents Lou Ferrigno-- his father is hilarious). Anyways you should definitely rent it... at the end of the movie Arnold tokes a spliffy while he eats fried chicken and wishes Louie Ferrigno happy birthday. So Arnold was known to toke. Arnold is regarded by all bodybuilders as THE bodybuilding authority... at least in the era of the classic physique. If it's good enough for Arnold's physique, it's good enough for yours right?

That is true but arnold took roids also, I dont

BOZWELL

RED145 said:
Full a shit is right!!My little bro and his crew do "nothing" all day but lift and smoke,there all built like fucking rock heads,full pipes and all.so the weed dont hurt ya,you could say it builds muscle!! :wave:
Im 190lbs @8%bf 5'.11'' with a 130kg bench press
so you could be right
Its just something that Id like to get to the bottom of
cheers

Last edited:

junit

Those guys are Stupid.... One thing at a Gym... Everyone is willing to tell you what to do.... and most of them look like shit as far as body goes....?... I was two months away from competeting in a compitition (then i met a girl) But i smoked just like I do now.... any chance I get. Now im not Scientist but i was always tought that It Serves the Purpose of Relaxing your muscles after a heavy workout... I knew Bodybuilders /smokers that smoked Exclusively after they pumped... It was like a protein drink.(Post workout Ritual) plus its a great alternative if you like to get fucked up... Anyone who works out knows how brutal Alcohol is on your body let alone muscle Structure. Like Ciggerettes... Marijauana Is negative in this situation just like in every other situation. The Fact your smoking it is the main concern(just like cigs)... And you can get Huge smoking ciggerettes. Get a Vap and you should have Absolutely NO problems....or Keep smoking, and stay away from the Tredmill

And is arnold Offically the first Govnor that we actually have on tape INHALING Mary Jane Smoke and is still in office..... Thats pretty amazing, Considering that most politics think if you smoke pot once, your stupid forever. :)

Boz- The only scientifically based argument against smoking weed that I have heard and agree with somewhat is this one (and since arnold broke this rule, at least one documented time... I'm still not too sure on it). Bodybuilders who are on steroids have excessive amounts of synthetic sex hormones in their bodies. There are arguments that components in marijuana smoke influence those would be testosterone precursors to "aromatize" and become estrogenic. This would not only "waste" any steroids the bodybuilder was using, but increase the likelihood of gynecomastia, or "bitch tits".

So as you mentioned earlier... you're not a juice head, you'd just like to add solid muscle slowly and improve your health in the gym. Weed will not hinder that, but the shit talking juice heads at the gym may wish to avoid the whacky tobacky whilst they're on a cycle of the sauce.

Professional bodybuilding imho is a very unhealthy lifestyle. Nothing wrong with lifting weights sensibly... I do that; but lifting excessive amounts of weights is hard on your entire system. The modern Mr. Olympia contestants are at serious risk for heart failure due to the amounts of weights they lift (coupled with obscene amounts of steroids of course). A bodybuilder bad-mouthing weed is about like an alcoholic or crack-head bad mouthing weed-- quite funny since we all know there is no significant severe health risk associated with getting a bit lifted now and again, but just a few months ago a reigning master's olympia champion died at 40 something... sad sad sad.

BOZWELL

learnin2grow said:
Boz- The only scientifically based argument against smoking weed that I have heard and agree with somewhat is this one (and since arnold broke this rule, at least one documented time... I'm still not too sure on it). Bodybuilders who are on steroids have excessive amounts of synthetic sex hormones in their bodies. There are arguments that components in marijuana smoke influence those would be testosterone precursors to "aromatize" and become estrogenic. This would not only "waste" any steroids the bodybuilder was using, but increase the likelihood of gynecomastia, or "bitch tits".

So as you mentioned earlier... you're not a juice head, you'd just like to add solid muscle slowly and improve your health in the gym. Weed will not hinder that, but the shit talking juice heads at the gym may wish to avoid the whacky tobacky whilst they're on a cycle of the sauce.

Professional bodybuilding imho is a very unhealthy lifestyle. Nothing wrong with lifting weights sensibly... I do that; but lifting excessive amounts of weights is hard on your entire system. The modern Mr. Olympia contestants are at serious risk for heart failure due to the amounts of weights they lift (coupled with obscene amounts of steroids of course). A bodybuilder bad-mouthing weed is about like an alcoholic or crack-head bad mouthing weed-- quite funny since we all know there is no significant severe health risk associated with getting a bit lifted now and again, but just a few months ago a reigning master's olympia champion died at 40 something... sad sad sad.

Very true,no one dies from weed at 40
I studied steriods to a great degree and thought about using for a while the more I learnt the more I wanted to try them but I am only 24 and still have youth on my side and make good gains in streanth and can out lift some of the bigger guys at the gym ,when I get to 30 and start to feel the age setting in I might try a little ,but untill then Ill stick with creatine and good food

BOZWELL

junit said:
Those guys are Stupid.... One thing at a Gym... Everyone is willing to tell you what to do.... and most of them look like shit as far as body goes....?... I was two months away from competeting in a compitition (then i met a girl) But i smoked just like I do now.... any chance I get. Now im not Scientist but i was always tought that It Serves the Purpose of Relaxing your muscles after a heavy workout... I knew Bodybuilders /smokers that smoked Exclusively after they pumped... It was like a protein drink.(Post workout Ritual) plus its a great alternative if you like to get fucked up... Anyone who works out knows how brutal Alcohol is on your body let alone muscle Structure. Like Ciggerettes... Marijauana Is negative in this situation just like in every other situation. The Fact your smoking it is the main concern(just like cigs)... And you can get Huge smoking ciggerettes. Get a Vap and you should have Absolutely NO problems....or Keep smoking, and stay away from the Tredmill

And is arnold Offically the first Govnor that we actually have on tape INHALING Mary Jane Smoke and is still in office..... Thats pretty amazing, Considering that most politics think if you smoke pot once, your stupid forever. :)

My pre workout booster is a strong coffee and a couple of bongs
post workout more bongs ..helps stop nausia(sp?)after hard work out
protien shake
I treid a vaporiser but it lacks the kick you get from good old fasioned smoke
(less effect)

G

guest3854

Damn Bozwell , 5'11" & 190 . Sounds like yer built like a brick shit house , my man. Sounds like your well on yer way to your goals . Just keep up with the supplements and eating plenty of good food . I've been told it's better to eat like 5-6 meals aday while strength training . Creatine is also supposed to really bulk ya up as well (I'm sure you know that). Just do what's right for you , listen to your body , like you do with the plants , it will tell ya what ya need ! Keep it up !

B

BuzzBoy

me and my buddy used to smoke everyday after the gym, and we biked to and from the gym. no negative effects here! main thing is if you want to be BIG you have to eat BIG.. and I was also taking creatine, that shit is the best! good luck

In this age old argument, Carbon Monoxide is the true enemy, not Cannabis. It reduces muscle strength by pulling the oxygen from your blood stream. If you vaporize then you run little risk of loosing muscle strength. Otherwise, as long as you don't smoke before your workout then you should be fine.

Last edited:

BOZWELL

steel savage said:
Damn Bozwell , 5'11" & 190 . Sounds like yer built like a brick shit house , my man. Sounds like your well on yer way to your goals . Just keep up with the supplements and eating plenty of good food . I've been told it's better to eat like 5-6 meals aday while strength training . Creatine is also supposed to really bulk ya up as well (I'm sure you know that). Just do what's right for you , listen to your body , like you do with the plants , it will tell ya what ya need ! Keep it up !

Cheers mate,I love it when some one says that when most of the guys I train with are all around the 220lbs mark you dont feel that big, been training some 5 years now
I try to eat evey 2-3 hours ,If I cant stomach a meal I have a protien shake youre dead on when you say LISTEN TO YOUR BODY it will tell you what it wants if you know what to give it ...just like a plant
Once again thanks for the complement :respect: it gives me a boost

Last edited:

BOZWELL

Cannabisourus said:
In this age old argument, Carbon Monoxide is the true enemy, not Cannabis. It reduces muscle strength by pulling the oxygen from your blood stream. If you vaporize then you run little risk of loosing muscle strength. Otherwise, as long as you don't smoke before your workout then you should be fine.

Make sense, I dont suppose you know were there is a study that has results that show this,Id like to print it and take it to them to show them
cheers

BOZWELL

BuzzBoy said:
me and my buddy used to smoke everyday after the gym, and we biked to and from the gym. no negative effects here! main thing is if you want to be BIG you have to eat BIG.. and I was also taking creatine, that shit is the best! good luck

I also bike to and from my gym ,the closest one is 7 miles away I find that the ride there and back clears my chest ..so I can smoke more.. lol
When you say ...used to ...do you still train?

B

BuzzBoy

Not anymore, but it's not because I don't want to. Once summer started I was working a lot and nobody wanted to go to the gym after work because they were too 'tired' hehe. But I met a couple guys that want to start to work out so I'm going to go with them and show them how to get started. Before I quit I was 160lbs(I'm skinny and 10% body fat, most guys around here are all 10-15lbs heavier than me but are pussywillows at the gym), I'm 5'9", and my bench press was 205-210lbs. But I'm not one of those guys that is crazy about his bench press, my favorite muscle is either my shoulders or triceps. But I find after the gym, and nice hootie and a halfhour bikeride works awesome. Then once I got home I'd drink my creatine and protein shake. MMM MMM good :D

KillBillbuds

I'm 36, 6'1'', 180lbs, and my body fat reading last week was 8.2. I smoke all day long & it doesn't affect me at all at the gym. I smoke 10 to 15 minutes before the workout & I'm not tired....being tired is more mental. It also helps to smoke sativas during the day when you workout & indicas for post workout smoke. I see no difference in my cardio either. I kickbox, grapple, & weight train & the herb hasn't slowed me down. Can't say the same about cigarettes. Eat good, take supplements, & train your ass off...the herb won't hinder you!

Isn't it interesting to see how health conscious many of us casual tokers are? I make it to the gym a minimum of four days a week before work (I wouldn't be worth a damn after). This is really turning into a whatcha' bench thread... I put up 300 lbs in my prime. But my shoulders were feckin' killing me when I trained that hard. I'd be lucky to throw up 250 these days... but I feel much healthier, my bodyfat is down, and my shoulders feel great. I don't fool with the heavy squats no more either, they were decimating my spine.