What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carbon filter for PC fans?

q3corn

I saw this company on Instagram today, the Flower carbon filter. I'm not sure if anyone has seen it yet, but it's basically a small carbon filter cube that attaches to a silicone mount, and is built for larger pc fans.

https://www.flowerfilters.co/product/flower-carbon-filter/

I was gonna order one for my next grow cabinet, but I was wondering if anybody here has used them yet?

Rouxdy

Thanks for the heads up... I'm going to try a couple.

I have remodeled my cab and the new set up is running a little hotter than the old one. I'm running one fan through a 4” carbon filter now. I'll try this with 2 fans and see what happens.

q3corn

Nice. I was thinking of making another 1x1 cabinet to do the 1 square foot challenge, and this would be a carbon filter that I think would totally work for that size.

Rouxdy

yeah, it should. My space is 11" x 16"s so just a tad bigger. I have two fans installed in the top space of my cab, but only running one fan has worked great in the past... and honestly, one fan is still working fine with the new light, but I have to run it close to full power and it's loud.

With some assisted interior airflow, I'm hoping two can keep it in the same temp range and knock the noise down.

Plus I'd be able to get rid of the big ass can filter.

Q1WDIiAl.jpg

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Cool!

It would be very easy to make something like this yourself, actually.. The design seems simple enough to replicate with other stuff.

:tiphat:

q3corn

It would be very easy to make something like this yourself, actually.. The design seems simple enough to replicate with other stuff.

Oh yeah, there are plenty of directions on this website to build small carbon scrubbers. The real question would be if there's a quality difference between DIY and a developed product.

Rouxdy

I've made several different DIY ones over the years... some work ok, some really don't.

We've needed something like this for a long time. If I had a 3d printer, I'd be trying to do something very similar to this.

I talked to one of the owners yesterday via their chat box and I feel like it's going to do what they say it's going to do.. if your space doesn't need to be pushing more than 60 CFM's through the units, these will reduce odor.

Even with a 4" carbon can filter I often have to run an Ozone generator in the room to assist. Nothing for micro grows is going to be odor proof, but you can get close.

We'll see... I'll be updating my thoughts as I put them in use.

I've taken the can filter out and switched out my 10 yr old fans to some current model fans, so just waiting for the filters to arrive. it's still a month off from an odor issue, though...

If I stay with this light I may have to add another fan. Temps are running 80 to 81 right now and would for 4 to 5 months of the year...

iNjxAZYl.jpg

troutman

Seed Whore
Even with a 4"; carbon can filter I often have to run an Ozone generator in the room to assist. Nothing for micro grows is going to be odor proof, but you can get close.

I would get an Ona odor control product before using ozone.

doams

ona gel WILL work but you need to change it daily!

back in the day Ive used TONS of ona gel it worked but it was expensive.

ozone is a bad thing to breathe. its only good up there :D

Rouxdy

ona gel WILL work but you need to change it daily!

back in the day Ive used TONS of ona gel it worked but it was expensive.

ozone is a bad thing to breathe. its only good up there :D

Ona is a bit expensive. The amount of ozone I have to generate to cover for what the filter doesn't get is pretty minimal. I use one of these on low and it works well. The room stays closed other than my visits.

I received the Flower Filters today. They are really well made. I'll update as I install and some odor kicks in.

kombuchaha

I actually just purchased the same fan they list on the site. Was going to do DIY but might just pick up one of the filters since I know it will fit.

40$ lol

CFM: 40 to 60
Size(mm): 80 to 120
Static Pressure: 3+ mH2O

corsair sp120mm Static Pressure 1.45 mmH20

THIS IS NOT A BOX OF GRANULATED CARBON**

"***Grow with low odor plant strains to minimize the impact of leaking odor.**"
they advice using low odor tomatoes

Add another filter and fan to increase the negative pressure of the grow area, not allowing odor molecules to escape through openings.

"Our filters are made from extruded carbon. Although we package our filters for maximum protection, a strong force can cause cracks to form in the carbon structure. This does not effect the efficacy of the filter and does not need a replacement."

wtf

so if their product doest work.. buy more????

what a joke, i read their privacy statement DONT EVEN OPEN THAT SITE!

also i cant find any information on their claimed mothercompany (no shit)

Last edited:

Rouxdy

I installed two in my cab. We're in the early stages of flower and they're working. There is no smell in the room until I open the cab.

We'll see what the next few weeks bring.

danielk

Hey there HuffnPufferfish,

My name is Dan and I work at Flower Inc. We are only providing a product to help home growers that don't need large filters for their space. It was an issue for me when I had a simple cabinet grow, and a lot of others have been able to free up a lot of space by utilizing these filters. We understand the skepticism, as we are a new company with a new style product, but we stand by it and guarantee its efficacy.

We spent a lot of time developing this product, as it solves the issues that were present with granulated carbon, such as airflow restriction. We made it from quality materials that will last in to the future and withstand the impact of high intensity lights and moisture. The price is not set to create huge margins, but to provide a quality product that solves a problem.

As for the comments about "odor leaking", we had a test grower have odor issues, only to realize they hadn't properly sealed their grow area. Once the grow area was sealed, all the odor was processed through the filter and was eliminated. We attempted to give advice on how to solve this issue by properly sealing the box, creating more negative pressure, or using lower odor strains. It is not stating they do not work and to buy more.
It appears Rouxdy is currently testing our filters, so I would wait and see what they have to say.

We use a novel technology that allows for more airflow then granulated carbon. Rarely, but sometimes small cracks will form in the carbon structure inside the filter, as it is very porous. This has absolutely no effect on the operation of the filter or integrity. We had someone ask that very question, hence why it is in the FAQs.

Many assume it is simply a box of granulated carbon with all the flaws that go along with that for low velocity air supplies. This is not true. We have parallel channels running through a solid block of carbon to diminish the airflow restriction while still providing enough contact time for odor absorption. That is why we clarify this. It's not a homemade filter.

We are a new company just trying to provide a solution for a problem we wish had been available before. We just launched the product a few months ago, hence why you can't find much info out there yet. As more people start to use the filter, including grow box manufacturers who have spent months testing our filter, more information will be available.

Our website is safe to visit.

I think skepticism is normal but we are proud to have more people using our filters every day and I think you will find in time they have some value to add to the growing community. Thanks for your time and checking out our product.

Rouxdy

In my experience, they do exactly what Dan says they do.

I'm impressed. Keep your fan CFM's under 50 for them to work properly. I believe that's the right number... maybe Dan can clarify.

The adhesive mounting tape on these things is strong and holds them in place really well but if you have any screw head or nut protrusions they may cause the flange to not seat and seal completely flat against your cab wall... just use some gorilla duct tape to seal around the outside flange edge and you're golden.

danielk

In my experience, they do exactly what Dan says they do.

I'm impressed. Keep your fan CFM's under 50 for them to work properly. I believe that's the right number... maybe Dan can clarify.

The adhesive mounting tape on these things is strong and holds them in place really well but if you have any screw head or nut protrusions they may cause the flange to not seat and seal completely flat against your cab wall... just use some gorilla duct tape to seal around the outside flange edge and you're golden.

We recommend 30 to 60 CFM to have proper contact time with the carbon. We are seeing that grow spaces dont require huge amounts of air movement, as sometimes previously suggested. There are also more factors that decide a fans efficacy, like static pressure. We've learned that many foreign made PC fans do not have the stats they advertise. Because of this inconsistancy, we suggest using the AC Infinty Multifan S2 for best results. You can buy these many places, or you can buy a "peel and stick" version at our store. This eliminates the issue of protruding screws.

I think skepticism is normal but we are proud to have more people using our filters every day and I think you will find in time they have some value to add to the growing community. Thanks for your time and checking out our product.
well unless you can timetravel you wont ever have less users than products sold, this is same stupid logic newpapers use to report on rapes, if your question is "were you EVER raped" that % that says YES can ONLY GO UP, you CANNOT be un-raped

youre not addressing my issues, explain how this is not a stupidly desined overpriced product that is by default less efficient than existing designs, i shouldnt have to tell you how to improve your "invention"

every single day people in america are buying MAGNETS to cure their cancers, MAGNETS! "every day we're selling more magnets so we KNOW magnets work" :dance013:

please refer me to a true american companies that makes pc fans by hand, cmon man, you think we're idiots?!

Latest posts

Latest posts