What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California Recreational Marijuana will be More Expensive than Medical Marijuana!

Medfinder

Chemon 91
The age of recreational marijuana is finally here! Starting January 1st, it will be legal to purchase marijuana in California dispensaries without a medical card. This should be great news. But hold on – there is one big problem. Proposition 64 which legalized the sale of recreational marijuana also said that state and local governments can add a sales and use tax on top of the cost of the cannabis. This tax is forecasted to be around 30%.

“The sales and use tax imposed by Part 1 of this division shall not apply to retail sales of medical cannabis, medical cannabis concentrate, edible medical cannabis products or topical cannabis…” [Section 7, Part 14.5, 34011, (g)]

M11B22INF8791

The age of recreational marijuana is finally here! Starting January 1st, it will be legal to purchase marijuana in California dispensaries without a medical card. This should be great news. But hold on – there is one big problem. Proposition 64 which legalized the sale of recreational marijuana also said that state and local governments can add a sales and use tax on top of the cost of the cannabis. This tax is forecasted to be around 30%.

“The sales and use tax imposed by Part 1 of this division shall not apply to retail sales of medical cannabis, medical cannabis concentrate, edible medical cannabis products or topical cannabis…” [Section 7, Part 14.5, 34011, (g)]
Grow your own shit then.

CaptainDankness

Not all bad, y'all are probably paying more than 30% tax on tobacco. Actually much worse than I thought...

. Friday, July 1, is when the California tax rate on tobacco products other than cigarettes will increase from the current rate of 27.3 to 65.08 percent of the wholesale cost.

FredyJohnSmith

Great first they call it legalised then they want to earn extra bucks in the form of taxes. Better grow your own, though the setup cost you but you can choose strains of your choice..

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The place near me has grams for an average of $15. I got one for the novelty. Might buy another.

The black market will continue to thrive in this environment. Outdoor grows can be done very cheap. They can sell for $50 an ounce or even lower.

thejact55

What others have said, just dont buy. I pay more than my fair share of taxes, i dont need to get ripped off on weed too lol. Pot shops are on every block it seems in my town, never gone in one, never will.