What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2017 tester run - KC x Zamaldelica fem

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Deep - Nice to see another screw in LED fan. Great grow so far. The corn cob lights would work well for ultra low wattage small vertical setups, but I like the standard lights with the globes removed so you can direct the light where you want it.

I'm going to make enemies with every LED lighting manufacturer in the biz when I say this but - I honestly can't see any reason to purchase pro LEDs anymore - unless the color pink really turns your crank. :biggrin:

OldToker - 14w/16w screw in LEDs are 5 bucks each at any home store, so your cost per watt is roughly 0.30-0.35 cents. My 250w/16 light panel covers a 3x3.5 to the point I have to back the lights off cause the plants are bleaching. You could build two of these for $150 and call it a day. I know other users are seeing similar results, Blynx routinely pulls .8-.9gpw and ScrogFrog just pulled 1.13gpw on his third run with screw in LEDs:

Welp boys we finally did it. We finally broke the 1gpw barrier. I can't believe it TBH.
My last run was 107.6G dry with 4 plants in 2gal grow bags under 94.5w of screw-in LED's.
This is only my 3rd run with them, and it's enough to say they destroy any 150w HPS or any combination of CFL's.
Didn't take any pics due to my chaotic traveling lifestyle, but I can assure you this was the best yield I have ever had, CFL, HPS, anything in the past 8+ years.
Also have my 51w tent drying and it looks to be around 2oz as well.
Very impressed.

Yes, I know pink lights offer the "correct" spectrum for plants, but how much more do you actually get? I would assume terpene and trich density improve a little with the pro lights - but at 3-4x the cost, is it worth it? Now granted, the panels have better penetration than the screw in bulbs, so if you're dead set on not topping extreme sativas and you hate side lighting plants, go get a 600/1000w LED panel. Someone is going to have to run a side by side (screw in led vs pro led) one of these days...

deepwaterdude

28 days from seed for the biguns

28 days from seed for the biguns

Mornin, Terp, the big panel for me is a lazy way of shucking the responsibility for light quality onto a manufacturer. Here's a grand or two to tell me everything's gonna be primo, which may be true with certain manufacturers, but at that price. With the screw ins, the proof's in the pudding I've seen on IC recently. Preaching to the already converted, by YOU no less;)
Anyhoo, the plants in the trough were stretching pretty madly, so I've just put four 14wLED spots back in on the bigger plants to regain light intensity they lost when I repotted them much farther from the light. I still think the best lighting for flower in my 3x3 would be a home-built array of 16-20 14-17watters. I've been looking at those flexible spider fixtures that hold three or four LEDs to reduce wiring, etc. Not expensive but apparently crap built.

I'm very happy with the coco mix. No added nutes yet. The ones in the trough are saying how wonderful this strain would do outdoors, very branchy yet looks like it wants to get big.

Attachments

• March 16-needed more light.jpg
    March 16-needed more light.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Zammy Tammy.jpg
    Zammy Tammy.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Miss perfect.jpg
    Miss perfect.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 6-top from above.jpg
    6-top from above.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Da Beast.jpg
    Da Beast.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 15
  • Lady Straight.jpg
    Lady Straight.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Lady Straight profile.jpg
    Lady Straight profile.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Old Toker

OldToker - 14w/16w screw in LEDs are 5 bucks each at any home store, so your cost per watt is roughly 0.30-0.35 cents. My 250w/16 light panel covers a 3x3.5 to the point I have to back the lights off cause the plants are bleaching. You could build two of these for $150 and call it a day. I know other users are seeing similar results, Blynx routinely pulls .8-.9gpw and ScrogFrog just pulled 1.13gpw on his third run with screw in LEDs

Yes, I know pink lights offer the "correct" spectrum for plants, but how much more do you actually get? I would assume terpene and trich density improve a little with the pro lights - but at 3-4x the cost, is it worth it? Now granted, the panels have better penetration than the screw in bulbs, so if you're dead set on not topping extreme sativas and you hate side lighting plants, go get a 600/1000w LED panel. Someone is going to have to run a side by side (screw in led vs pro led) one of these days...
Screw-in LED = cheap (relatively) to build and power?
simple to construct?
very nice yields......?
Plus recommended by two growers that I respect as much as you and DWD.....ok...ok...I just threw in that last part.....you had me at cheap.:)
Don't want to derail your grow thread DWD....are there any beginner DYI screw-in LED threads that you guys could recommend? Once I become educated I'll be back with some stupid newb questions so that you can display your superior knowledge and experience and feel good about yourselves.:tiphat:

Levitationofme

Although I spent 600 buck's on my LED I think I get good value. I know the owners of BD. Basically I get a lifetime warantee. Also I get
A solid safe UL listed piece of technology which
I dont have to worry about. Will lasy many years
The way I usr them. Also I can drop it off and get it restored to new for price of parts.
LEDs degrade from day one. Like all other lights.

These are also extreamly well built with great fans, heat sinks, quality stuff.

Now is the light better?? I dont know. They say the spectrum makes more trichomes. A couple friends who use them professionally think so and love them. Admittedly they dont exclusively use them due to the cost compared to the other
Light systems. They have very large grows.

I got them because I wanted to have great lights
And not to have to worry about them. One thing I know is great quality. Yea they cost 1200 for a pair, but really I was spending 500 bucks a month buying weed from people I dont really trust to have herb grown to the standards I see
Here in this forum especially.
It made total sense to me then.

Now I am open minded to whatever.

I have not spent a cent on commercial weed for over a year now. I love the highs from my Ace
Strains. Changed my whole life really. Im not
Dead stoned all day anymore. Im high as shit!!!

wasgedn

screw in led is takin over the led world for homegrows...uvb lights can be screwed in too...very innovative..i will get a octo too....
for europe i heared osram build good pears...
200 watt reptile light cabel is easy to get but 300 watt cabel isnt....but 200 is allright ....
there are many different adapters for building sick custom lights..and relative cheap

deepwaterdude

OT, you are one funny dude; I end up laughing my ass off reading your stuff;) Oh, and had a good try at killing my plants last night, leaving windows and skylight open all night with freezing temps OD, but they're fine, sigh... Can't overwater 'em in the coco, soon no cold left to kill 'em, cats are banned from the room, somewhat successfully... I suppose I could burn 'em to hell with nutes as a last go, or introduce some pests? Running out of options. Looks like they may survive the gauntlet, the little rats.

Syd: only 3 weeks left after all that from last harvest? You must be a champion smoker;) I'm a little spoiled, as one small OD plant trained well yields almost as much as my whole tent. Still have between 1-2 lbs of the year's labor all told; though the last Panama is about half gone (most popular with the locals, very chrystally, best bag appeal of all), I still have 3 zips of her mom, maybe 5 or 6 of GT mom and daughter (i'm having a go at a massive spliff of GT mom), a huge amount of big pink Panama, a few zips of Bangi, a couple of green lemon OD panama, a couple zips of super caramel NepJam, which is beautifully cured after 6 months, sticky upon breakup, very nice balanced high. That said, I'm very much looking forward to these new genetics, untested for me.

Syd hit the nail on the head with the link he gave; it's one that convinced me to try the screw ins.

Levi, I totally agree about Black Dog LED being just about the best on the market, and if I were in your situation with a big in with the company, I'd probably do the same... I already have one 600$ panel that only has a 2x2 footprint for flower, and am totally willing to shell out for one big light setup that will cover my 5x5. For the same price as two BDs I can get one light with the 630 cmh incorporated and I don't have to decide between LEDs and cmh, best of both worlds. Congrats on getting a few days off the smoke! Gonna be fun upon return, too much so;)

Old Toker

Oh, and had a good try at killing my plants last night, leaving windows and skylight open all night with freezing temps OD..
I'm sure Dubi appreciates your efforts at stress testing his strains. There should be some kind of "DWD Grown" seal on each Dubi strain that you've managed to get to harvest. I know that I would pay extra knowing that a strain had survived one of your grows. :biggrin:
Thanks again for all the help!:tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Developments - and hey, food.

Developments - and hey, food.

I'm sure Dubi appreciates your efforts at stress testing his strains. There should be some kind of "DWD Grown" seal on each Dubi strain that you've managed to get to harvest. I know that I would pay extra knowing that a strain had survived one of your grows. :biggrin:
Thanks again for all the help!:tiphat:

You are quickly heading to the top of the "dudes I'd love to smoke a buncha Js with but probably wouldn't survive the experience for laughter" list. I can't afford a broken hip from falling off a porch.

Hey, reading over our lighting debate, I realized I'd been neglecting another important aspect of...well, survival; FOOD. I dosed the res to .5 EC and as they were appreciating that, I turned off the drips for today and gave 'em a nice 1.0 EC feeding of floranova grow that'll probably get 'em to flower in a couple weeks. I've hand fed the 3 gallon girls a couple of times as the edges seem to get dry. The Beast's bottom leaves were yellowing.

I've started training as tops get long enough to do so. They're reacting well;) The two bottom branches will come off of each soon for clone (pinched Lady Straight's bottoms a few days back). Structures are looking very strong, nothing unhealthy going on, good vigor and tops turned up after training within hours.

Also, I've seen a positive reaction to warmer nights and days in the steamier 79-81f range. The girls in the pots suffer the cold more. Check out the massive difference in stretch! Looks like those three gals could be useful for keeping things squat and bushy in small spaces, while the trough is very low profile and low maintenance. Plants have grown twice as much as their sisters since repot.

I've got a ton of photos; top, profile and leaf detail of each, so in two parts:

Attachments

• 6 top-cabbage head1.jpg
    6 top-cabbage head1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Miss perfect1.jpg
    Miss perfect1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Zammy Tammy1.jpg
    Zammy Tammy1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Mar 21, after first day with food @300ppm.jpg
    Mar 21, after first day with food @300ppm.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Trained mar 20.jpg
    Trained mar 20.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 6-top2.jpg
    6-top2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Miss Perfect 2.jpg
    Miss Perfect 2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Zammy Tammy 2.jpg
    Zammy Tammy 2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Lady Straight.jpg
    Lady Straight.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Numba 4-the beast1.jpg
    Numba 4-the beast1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 17

deepwaterdude

March 21 - Part deux

March 21 - Part deux

few more piclets.

Been grieving the loss of one of the cat gods; looks like he got et by some coyotes, though no physical evidence but absence. Sucks balls.

Attachments

• 6-top detail.jpg
    6-top detail.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Miss perfect detail.jpg
    Miss perfect detail.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Zammy Tammy detail.jpg
    Zammy Tammy detail.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 14 zile
    14 zile
    71.2 KB · Views: 24
  • The Beast2.jpg
    The Beast2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 19
  • The Beast detail.jpg
    The Beast detail.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Lady Straight detail.jpg
    Lady Straight detail.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Survivor in window.jpg
    Survivor in window.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Mystery bean.jpg
    Mystery bean.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 16

Old Toker

You are quickly heading to the top of the "dudes I'd love to smoke a buncha Js with but probably wouldn't survive the experience for laughter" list. I can't afford a broken hip from falling off a porch.
Likewise brother. Hopefully someday we'll be able to get together and have some Js and an actual conversation.....In the mean time....keep up the good work with your girls. :tiphat:

G

Sorry 'bout the kitty god,man.:comfort: My male cats leave on January and come back late February...most of the times.
At least he watches over your girls , judging by the looks of them :)

deepwaterdude

Sorry 'bout the kitty god,man.:comfort: My male cats leave on January and come back late February...most of the times.
At least he watches over your girls , judging by the looks of them :)

Thanks, bro, bigger sacrifice than I was prepared to make, but I'm not the decider around here, naturewise. Who knows, maybe he got the roaming bug, but I doubt it.

Anyhoo, girls are liking the nice feeding, blumats are back on. Tiny little preflowers on Zammy Tammy for a few days now, not looking too hard at 'em, but they're about due to show sex.:moon:

Gooday all, thanks fer stopping in.

deepwaterdude

SIPs are badass method, fer sure. I used 'em in a 2x2 with great success... somehow I like the illusion of soil with the added coco badassness growthwise. This seems to be nice stuff, and I could've gone without cutting it by half with the seedling mix. Haven't really had an issue with the blumats yet, they seem to do their thing. Coco is forgiving waterwise, either way.

Grow note: neemed 'em this AM with a tad of epsom salts an dish soap. Cut bottom branches, pretty dickishly, I'd say were I a plant.

deepwaterdude

In fairness.....if you were a plant you wouldn't have bottom branches that needed trimmed. You would be all donkey dick cola. Just sayin....:tiphat:

Well, gracias, OT, I'd sure like to think so;) :peacock:

Hey, Levi, there's a newly appeared mint BD-600 on craigslist Denver. Probably could be had for 750 beans and cover the greater part of a 5x5. Also a ton of Lumigrow 600s for 600 a piece. Also a big, powerful LED with the coverage I'd need, I think... I have to check the footprint. Soon enough i should be able to buy one and face the summer. See yas tomorrow