What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not so dope: Police test first marijuana breathalyzer on Cali drivers

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's no way for them to tell if someone's impaired from the amount of THC in their system. Some ultra-low tolerance people would be too stoned to drive from a 2 mg edible. Some medical users can consume a gram a day of oil and be fine to drive. Some get to the point where they can't even get high from oil.

THC doesn't work the same way as alcohol. Heavy drinkers can't consume 500 times the alcohol as a light drinker and actually survive or be functional.

Thanks for articulating that m314, my sentiments exactly, it makes me wonder how something like this would affect me. I've been pulled over high the cop had no idea. My eyes only get red from edibles and I eat them at night after I'm done work and errands. They would need probable cause for a test. I wonder what qualifies for that now that smell of weed doesnt...some people are way more obvious than others.

I hate this whole concept...weed makes a lot of us better drivers...better people...the roads are a trap.

Are people with higher tolerances going to test higher metabolites? That would be fucked up...I hope it's correlated to metabolism otherwise its a total scam

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Glad you are so lucky with your local constabularies and on such friendly terms. Truly.

I don't think there are many here that enjoy such a charmed life as far as leniency from the law. Luck of the draw could easily mean prison or even getting blasted to hell courtesy of officer friendly.

yup, wrong officer & i am right there with you. good ol' Deputy Dickhead, LOL!

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for articulating that m314, my sentiments exactly, it makes me wonder how something like this would affect me. I've been pulled over high the cop had no idea. My eyes only get red from edibles and I eat them at night after I'm done work and errands. They would need probable cause for a test. I wonder what qualifies for that now that smell of weed doesnt...some people are way more obvious than others.

I hate this whole concept...weed makes a lot of us better drivers...better people...the roads are a trap.

Are people with higher tolerances going to test higher metabolites? That would be fucked up...I hope it's correlated to metabolism otherwise its a total scam

I've been on both sides of this. When I was smoking hash every day, my driving wasn't affected. I could wake and bake on a Saturday morning and drive around town all day running errands. I knew my limits. Feeling moderately baked didn't make me a worse driver.

It's different now that I'm getting high on weekends only. If I take a couple hits off a good joint on a Friday night, driving won't be safe. Someone passed me a hash joint at a Hank III concert once. I took a deep hit thinking it was a regular joint. One hit and the world became Alice in Wonderland. It took all of my focus and luck to drive back to San Jose that night from San Francisco.

I would have gone straight to jail if I had gotten pulled over. The version of me from a few years before would have looked and acted normal and been fine to drive. Same levels of THC, vastly different levels of impairment.

Tynehead Tom

I've been on both sides of this. When I was smoking hash every day, my driving wasn't affected. I could wake and bake on a Saturday morning and drive around town all day running errands. I knew my limits. Feeling moderately baked didn't make me a worse driver.

It's different now that I'm getting high on weekends only. If I take a couple hits off a good joint on a Friday night, driving won't be safe. Someone passed me a hash joint at a Hank III concert once. I took a deep hit thinking it was a regular joint. One hit and the world became Alice in Wonderland. It took all of my focus and luck to drive back to San Jose that night from San Francisco.

I would have gone straight to jail if I had gotten pulled over. The version of me from a few years before would have looked and acted normal and been fine to drive. Same levels of THC, vastly different levels of impairment.

ya, I think being a responsible adult about it, I can recognize those situations where I shouldn't be behind the wheel. Which is easy because I literally hate driving when I'm that fried LOL
But ya, eat a couple cookies, do a few dabs, puff a couple doobs and ya, there's definitely been many times where I've put down the keys and become one with the couch for a little while longer.
I don't think drivers high on weed are adding a measurable amount of danger to our roads though and the new Mothers Against Drunk Driving campaign in Canada is one I find extremely ignorant and deceitful showing split images of car wrecks and teens in handcuffs , all the while flashing to images of cocaine and weed.
It's all about $$$$ and control and that's about it..... hiding behind the word "public safety".
and the sheeple will suck it up of course.

there is also some lady in Canada at one of the universities who has been working on a breathalizer for marijuana, seen a episode about it almost a year ago on Global BC news. They probably have the episode archived on their website for those interested. Wonder if she sold her design ?

Last edited: