What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fire that destroyed dozens of homes sparked by an illegal marijuana operation, offici

R

Robrites

A fire that destroyed 43 homes last year in a largely rural area north of San Francisco was sparked by an illegal marijuana-growing operation, officials said Wednesday, but the two suspects fled the country before they could be questioned.
The Rocky fire burned about 108 square miles in Lake, Yolo and Colusa counties, destroying 43 homes and 53 outbuildings before it was contained.
It began near where firefighters are now battling an unrelated fire that investigators say was caused by a serial arsonist.
Last year's fire was started by a faulty water heater near where about 100 marijuana plants were being grown east of Clearlake, said California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokeswoman Janet Upton.
<aside class="trb_ar_sponsoredmod trb_barker_mediaconductor" data-adloader-networktype="mediaconductor" data-role="delayload delayload_item" data-screen-size="desktop" data-withinviewport-options="bottomOffset=100" data-load-method="trb.vendor.mediaconductor.init" data-load-type="method" data-vendor-mc=""></aside>"It was strapped to a tree. Quite inventive, and why it was not very safe," she said.
The fire was the second-most destructive in the Lake County area last year, behind the Valley fire that destroyed more than 1,300 homes. The cause of a third nearby fire that burned six houses remains under investigation.
In the current fire, Damin Pashilk, 40, of Clearlake, is charged with 17 counts of arson including setting the fire that has now burned a portion of the town of Lower Lake. But officials say he is not a suspect in any of last year’s three big fires.
The Rocky fire was one of at least five marijuana-related wildfires in Northern California last year, with four more reported so far this year. Southern California's climate isn't as favorable for growing marijuana at the lower elevations overseen by CalFire, Upton noted.
Officials could not say whether the nine recent fires are an increase. But it's concerning enough that the department is considering breaking out such fires into a separate category when it revises its reporting system in 2018, Upton said.

TheGreenMitten

What kind of person could intentionally set fires that destroy the homes of so many people. That's crazy. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the fires in the past and those dealing with this year's round of fires out west.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What kind of person could intentionally set fires that destroy the homes of so many people. Revenge and greed? I don't know why "faulty water heater" was strapped onto tree.

I do know years ago, certain people employed as fire fighters intentionally set fires so they could be hired to put the same fires out.

Crazy world we live in.

Good to see you reporting again, Robrites!

JKD

Veteran
Possibly the water heater was for showers etc while staying in the bush.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Possibly the water heater was for showers etc while staying in the bush.

keeping your water cool enough not to burn your ass in the shower is surely the bigger problem in the bush ???

A Cali grower with a water heater is like a Eskimo with a fridge

You would be amazed on how some of these growers live in NorCal. When I went there for trimming adventures I found that ranchers would literally build as many outbuildings as they could and rent out spots for each persons 99 plants. There were gardens everywhere. There were shanty shacks everywhere running on this type of nonsense. Generators blazing all over and water being piped all over... if they just legalized and made it so that it was organized and less --lets supply the east coast -- this shit would be minimized.. Lets face it if I could have a warehouse operation that was legal I would be a very open and friendly business... its prohibition yet again that caused a problem

TheGreenMitten

What kind of person could intentionally set fires that destroy the homes of so many people. Revenge and greed? I don't know why "faulty water heater" was strapped onto tree.

I do know years ago, certain people employed as fire fighters intentionally set fires so they could be hired to put the same fires out.

Crazy world we live in.

Good to see you reporting again, Robrites!

That is really effed up! Some serious sociopaths out there huh?!?

armedoldhippy

Veteran

happens every year around here. it is ALWAYS one of the younger volunteer firefighters in the surrounding counties. they get bored shooting pool, & go torch a vacant house, barn, whatever. the police have caught on & started asking "who phoned it in/who was the first firefighter on scene?" round up the usual suspects, please....:biggrin: