What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OLDEST LANDRACES?

S

sativaking

What are some ppls opinions on what the oldest Landraces of Cannabis are. Specifically Indica and Sativa. Ruderalis not so much.

ULMW

Check SamS to see the latest and I recommend RCC Book on the matter. Tracing the movement of the cannabis plant and people around it has become a global interest and now large amounts of facts are gathered and presented online in many cases .
With Landraces it was again geographic histories that come from the people around this plant that recall its uses within tradition or cukture. The naming of species is also questionable data although generally agreed upon. However native names and local remedies or uses maybe not so well documented and often omitted from historic accounts.
Africa being the craddle of civilization and the start of human life on earth according to data collected would suggest the plant also srems from here. However the plants name in Enflish becane coonected more to India and Indian Hemp. So which came first or were they both on Earth at the same time in different places. Only later were they discovered and recorded and reported on. Just my thoughts, no facts but there for the thinking upon. Peace n Love to each n all

S

sativaking

Itd be interesting find out if anyone has travelled to asia and grabbed some older landraces or know someone who has.

L

larry badiner

if darwin is right, marijuana had to evolve from something. im thinking during heavy rains, odd weather patterns and wildlife the genus cannabis was made from odd trees with fruits and flowers, then through people was acliminatated to different environment

the first landrace i could imagine would be where any cannabis grows best

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Rcc's book is well worth the price. Its litterally full of data, also good if you want to get into the hemp game.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are ZERO landrace Sativas'

SATIVA is a term that literally means CULTIVATED!

ALL cultivated INDICAS are SATIVAS!

INDICA is a region!

therevverend

Veteran
There are ZERO landrace Sativas'

No. Landraces are by definition cultivated. Thus all landraces are sativas. The definition is:

A landrace is a domesticated, locally adapted, traditional variety of a species of animal or plant that has developed over time, through adaptation to its natural and cultural environment of agriculture and pastoralism, and due to isolation from other populations of the species.

Of course the species name, Cannabis Sativa, applies to all cannabis both wild and cultivated. Which makes things even more confusing...

The term landrace gets misused around here way too much and it bothers me. People call feral plants landraces (they can be the descendents of landraces but aren't landraces). Cultivars are called landraces all the time.

Breeders are in the bad habit of doing this in their breeder notes. For example the strain Malawi from Ace (not picking on Ace-almost everyone else does it) is not a landrace. It is a cultivar because it has been removed from Africa and selected and bred in Europe.

Someone starts a thread 'what is the best landrace Indica'. Not a single strain mentioned in the thread is a landrace, they are all cultivars. The correct answers to the question could be from Mazar-i-Sharif, or Herat, or Balkh, or other places in Afghanistan where cannabis is grown.

Deep Chunk wouldn't apply either. It originally came from Afghanistan but even if it hasn't been hybridized it's been bred on and subjected to different selective pressures then in it's homeland.

Back to the topic, I'd guess a lot of Himalayan and Central Asian varieties are quite old. Siddhartha, Gautama the Buddha lived near Lumbini in Nepal. When he was fasting he lived on one cannabis seed a day. Ganja is still found there, both cultivated and spontaneous. Could make a case for a 2500 year old landrace from that.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If you guys mean Marijuana Botany: An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis when you say the RCC book, you can get the text of it on archive.org, the link is in my signature. If you want the pictures and charts you have to buy it.

W

Water-

There have been Humans in Central Asia for over a million years and I think Sam may have said Cannabis speciated about a million years ago.
So I would not be surprised if people have been playing with the useful plant for a long long time

Montuno

...como el Son...
There have been Humans in Central Asia for over a million years and I think Sam may have said Cannabis speciated about a million years ago.
So I would not be surprised if people have been playing with the useful plant for a long long time

Hi.
Im afraid that if youre talkin about Homo Sapiens youre completly wrong. We are a so much younger spiece.
Humans only are playing with cannabis since the Neolitic Revolution, not early than (aprox) 12.000 years ago.
Salud.

Last edited:

Satyros

Hi.
Im afraid that if youre talkin about Homo Sapiens youre completly wrong. We are a so much younger spiece.
Humans only are playing with cannabis since the Neolitic Revolution, not early than (aprox) 12.000 years ago.
Salud.

Humans may not be limited to the "sapiens" cultivar, and that can be coupled with the difficulty of placing an "upper limit" on ages of things. Any limits are "the oldest found so far".

Kazakhstan has a lot on its behalf suggesting a type of "Eden" including that of cannabis. If not the oldest locale, it is probably among them.

Montuno

...como el Son...
Humans may not be limited to the "sapiens" cultivar, and that can be coupled with the difficulty of placing an "upper limit" on ages of things. Any limits are "the oldest found so far".

Ahhh... So Homo Erectus growed cannabis?!?!.
Amazing...

Of course that is difficult to discover the origins of Homo. It is so much easy to say the first thing that anybody wants without any evidence.

Last edited:

CannaZen

Apes are technically omnivores but largely herbivores. Its possible. Ape species or birds consumed the seeds and raw flowers. Maybe they've learned the spread of seed before moving big fucking stones.

THCA, works mostly through the 5HT-1A (serotonin) receptors. CBD and CBDA are much more similar.

They're also anti-microbial and anti-parasitic, animals consume herbs for health and that much has been established imo.

W

Water-

Hi.
Salud.

Homo sapiens sapiens = Modern Humans

Homo sapiens neanderthalensis = Neanderthal

Homo sapiens denisova = Denisovian

all humans and all lived in the Altai

thats all im saying.

Zoologically all beings in the genus Homo are Humans

Montuno

...como el Son...
Apes are technically omnivores but largely herbivores. Its possible. Ape species or birds consumed the seeds and raw flowers. Maybe they've learned the spread of seed before moving big fucking stones.

They're also anti-microbial and anti-parasitic, animals consume herbs for health and that much has been established imo.

Hi!
Maybe apes can eat cannabis seeds, but they cant grow anything. Even the Homo Sapiens dont knowed to grow till the Neolitic Revolution. It is called Neolitic Revolution cos it was all a revolution to the Humans (n to all the Earth Biosphere) the discovery of the Agricultura (farming?). It was a revolution in all the plants that Humans started to grow. We have scientific evidences of it (like with the corn, the weat, the rice...).
Think about it: Sapiens only knowed to grow it since Neolitic but other apes were able to do it a million of years before? Then, Humans were being able of discovery it since the beginng only looking at apes....
N, If any ape would be able in the past to grow cannabis...why they didint grow another so much nutritives n delicious vegetales to them as fruits?

Salud.

Last edited:

Montuno

...como el Son...
Homo sapiens sapiens = Modern Humans

Homo sapiens neanderthalensis = Neanderthal

Homo sapiens denisova = Denisovian

all humans and all lived in the Altai

thats all im saying.

Zoologically all beings in the genus Homo are Humans

Again: where are the evidences than Neandertales or Devisonias knowed to grow anything?

N so much easy: where are the evidences that we Sapiens growed anything before the Neolitic?

If anybody has any evidence, then we here in Icmag will have the great honor to see the greatest antropologic (n botanic) revolutionary discovery since Darwing.

PD: btw, in my country died the last Neandertal knowed, n we have the most large registre about them...but we have any evidente that they knowed how to grow anything. N here the weather is so much better to farming than Altai.

Last edited:

Montuno

...como el Son...
If you guys mean Marijuana Botany: An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis when you say the RCC book, you can get the text of it on archive.org, the link is in my signature. If you want the pictures and charts you have to buy it.

Hi!
Thanks for your link. Is a real pity that my mobile screen shows the text with a very poor definition.
Salud!