What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does activated charcoal filters absorb smoke?

Hi, everyone!

This is my first post on this forum.

I want to be able to smoke stealthily without my neighbours being bothered by my smoke and i was wondering about the most effective means of removing cannabis smoke from the air. My idea is to build a ventilation system that re-circulates the air within a room. Basically you will sit under a hood that draws up the smoke and at the start of the duct a negative ionizer will spray out negative ions to make the smoke particles clog together. After that i plan on putting an activated carbon filter followed by a fan

Will this be enough to remove all the smoke and thc from the air?

Are there better ways to do this?

Thanks for your help!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Your idea sounds like it would work fine. In fact, maybe better than you need. Either the ionizer OR the charcoal filter may be enough. Both might be more than you need.

I don't like ionizers. They smell funny to me and they can be dangerous if over exposed.

A simple fan and filter setup would probably work fine. Check eBay and Amazon for 'portable' units. Search "SMOKE BUDDY" and you'll see a portable non-electric model for under 20 bux. I have no idea if it works but it's cheap.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You need to oversize the carbon filter to the fan, likesay a 4" fan on an 8" can, to increase the time air passes over the carbon.

Your idea sounds like it would work fine. In fact, maybe better than you need. Either the ionizer OR the charcoal filter may be enough. Both might be more than you need.

I don't like ionizers. They smell funny to me and they can be dangerous if over exposed.

A simple fan and filter setup would probably work fine. Check eBay and Amazon for 'portable' units. Search "SMOKE BUDDY" and you'll see a portable non-electric model for under 20 bux. I have no idea if it works but it's cheap.

Thank you for your answer!

Ionizers alone dont work. Period. Some people say they help but i havent noticed any useful difference. The idea to use an ionizer is just to make the carbon filter work better. Charging the particles make them want to cling to particles of the opposite charge. So i think it would help eliminate more particles when they reach the filter. Or at least so i figure.

Am i completely off my rocker or does that make sense?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Makes total sense to me. That, in itself, should scare you. LOL

Depends how much you have to spend. My fat ass wife is a nut about air filters and fans. She has some $300 room units around the house. I can't say anything really helps. She still smells like chocolate candy and donuts.

Pot smoke is a tough thing to beat 100%. And, like I said, air filtration stuff can get expensive.

How about that 20 dollar smoke buddy? My guess is that's simply a charcoal filter that you blow through.

Makes total sense to me. That, in itself, should scare you. LOL

Depends how much you have to spend. My fat ass wife is a nut about air filters and fans. She has some $300 room units around the house. I can't say anything really helps. She still smells like chocolate candy and donuts.

Pot smoke is a tough thing to beat 100%. And, like I said, air filtration stuff can get expensive.

How about that 20 dollar smoke buddy? My guess is that's simply a charcoal filter that you blow through.

Lol, sorry about your wife. Maybe you can hang an air freshner around her neck ;)

Oh, you mean one of those. In my social circuits its called a sploof. That would work but i want to be able to smoke with friends, so thats why i dreamed up this hood contraption.

Latest posts

Latest posts