What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning Temperature

RB56

Veteran
Bought an aerocloner on eBay. Kind of crude and small but worked fine during the winter. Not during the warmer months. Bought one of these:
picture.php

It has a computer fan in a cowl that hangs on the front of the tub. There's a small pathway from the fan chamber into the tub, above the waterline. Never had a problem again with heat but I don't think the fan has anything to do with it.

I really couldn't figure out how blowing air against the outside of the tub was going to do anything. I guess the theory is that the fan moves air through the cloner, helping with evaporative cooling. The passage is really small though. During my last run, I kept the fan on 24/7 and the pump running 24/7. I put an aquarium thermometer in the tub. The water was consistently 2 degrees cooler than ambient, about 79 degrees F, so good.

Once the cuttings had rooted and moved on, I kept the cloner running but removed the fan. Water stayed 4 degrees below ambient. Maybe heat from the fan.

Seems like the operating temperature is a balance between size of the pump and the heat it generates, volume of water and evaporative cooling from the sprayed water and surface inside the tub. Will be running without the fan going forward.