What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Seed Cracker

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, my cheap cracker did the job. Had a few seeds that would not sprout after 48 hours n a paper towel. Cracked them and 24 hours later all had sprouted. Several different strains. I could hear the seed go pop when it cracked. Was afraid the insides were squished maybe, but all seems to be fine.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Awwwhhhh that's awesome. I purchased one of the last packs of Schnazz 2 as well when the boutique came back online last year. Two year difference. Hopefully I can join you in a ressurection project soon. Glad to see there's life in these.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Yeah, my cheap cracker did the job. Had a few seeds that would not sprout after 48 hours n a paper towel. Cracked them and 24 hours later all had sprouted. Several different strains. I could hear the seed go pop when it cracked. Was afraid the insides were squished maybe, but all seems to be fine.

That's great news. The way you went about it -waiting to crack - is a better indication that cracking helps. I cannot say one way or the other since none of the seeds I have cracked have been able to make it above ground or pop in paper towels or germination machine. I had that same concern but not so much on the ones with an audible pop but more so with the ones that didn't - because they felt more like the shell was being squished, along with the insides.

I suspect there's a fine line between a non-viable seed and a viable seed that's stubborn and needs the assistance of cracking.

The one Thai-Tanic's taproot seemed to grow a little. So I sprayed some of the GA3 solution directly onto the exposed taproot and shell before putting down for a dirt nap. Really hope it makes it.

Awwwhhhh that's awesome. I purchased one of the last packs of Schnazz 2 as well when the boutique came back online last year. Two year difference. Hopefully I can join you in a ressurection project soon. Glad to see there's life in these.

Life there is!

picture.php

:yay:

I remember seeing them listed when Boutique came back online. They went fast. Was surprised to see them because about three or four months after my order for them I placed another and was going to grab another pack but it showed them out of stock.

When I bought these I had no reason to think germination rates might be low. It wasn't until Boo/Bay came back online that I was left to question viability of earlier purchases. So I really didn't expect this. I plan to collect pollen, make F2s, select a girl or two to go outdoors in the spring, and also chuck some onto some other girls. For sure I plan to make some seeds with a Pre-98 leaner, and possibly a HashPlant.

Just give a holler when you're ready. :tiphat:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
It's going to take a minute. My electrician is dragging ass, for one. We have a plant count issue as well that won't be resolved until December. Before spring I can begin to investigate. Also sitting on C4 and a full compliment of Tom Hill strains from the same purchase. I attempted two Haze x Chunk F2's last year that did not go anywhere unfortunately...

Subbed up for updates on those Schnazz- or do you think you'll run a sep. thread?

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Since this is the propagation sub-forum I won’t update here other than germination attempts. I think I probably will start a thread for Schnazz in Chimera’s section. Not sure yet, but it might be a good idea so I can get help from the community. The Schnazz are under a 4000K HLG 65 QB. Next week or the week after I am going to get an HLG 260 QB in 4000K for veg. And then flower them under the 550 I have. As you know, I am still on quite the learning curve with LED.

Any straight DC in that TH collection?

Ten days now and other than the one Thai-Tanic - which still hasn't made it above ground - I haven’t seen any action from the rest and none of the Thai Lights have shown anything. So later today I will prep, crack, and start soaking a pack of Peace Maker and Afghanica.

Peace Maker »»» Super Skunk x White Widow
Super Skunk
»»» Skunk #1 x Afghanistan
Skunk #1
»»» Afghanistan x Mexico x Colombia
Afghanistan »»» Indica
Mexico »»» Sativa
Colombia »»» Sativa
Afghanistan »»» Indica
White Widow
White Widow Probably
»»» Brazil x India
Brazil »»» Sativa
India »»» Indica

Afghanica AKA Kabul Baba »»» Afghani x Skunk
Afghani
Afghanistan Probably Indica »»» Indica
Skunk
Skunk #1
»»» Afghanistan x Mexico x Colombia
Afghanistan »»» Indica
Mexico »»» Sativa
Colombia »»» Sativa

If no action by next weekend I will try Exile and Critical Romulan. I have a feeling I may see some action from CR since the date on it is ’14. We’ll see. If nothing, I will then move on to BOG and Serious’s Bubble Gum offerings. If I go through my list with no further success I will then start on the AS #1.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Yessir. Yes, there is.

Lucky you!

Thai Tanic: 0/10; Thai Lights: 0/10; Peace Maker: 0/10; Exile: 0/5; Afghanica: 0/10. Really bummed about Afghanica, for years have wanted to grow it.

However, I have had some success. CR came in two centrifuges. I assumed five to each since packaging says 10. Was pleased to find six in each. I started one sooner than the other and cracked them. Had one pop and break ground. Did not crack the other six. Four broke ground, but a couple look as though they may not make it. At this point I doubt any others will make it up. So 5/12 for CR. (Dark pic because I had to turn the light off for packaging to be visible.)

picture.php

Recently started a pack of BOG’s Bubble. Did not crack. Soaked 48hrs. Had two pop within twelve hours and one has broke ground with the other looking as though it’s starting to do so (seed can be seen right in the center). Of the remaining eight seeds it looks as though a few are starting to pop, so may get a couple more - hope so.

picture.php

The Dutch Dragon I have is a five pack of fems. Started two - no cracking - and planned to pop the remainer of the pack if no success. Soaked 48hrs and found both popped within twelve hours - one better than the other. It’s still wearing its helmet, but is up. I see stirrings from the other.

picture.php

So as of now, especially with the Schnazz #2 surprise, I have enough babies to get growing. I will start on AS #1 just before or after the new year. As of now I don’t think I will crack them - at least not the first fifty. If rates are under 10% I will then crack the next fifty and hope for the best.

Happy Sowing & Growing!

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Ahhhh, this is a fun thread :D

I, like many others, have a ton of seed. I always lament the two times in my life where I’ve given a whole shed load of collected seed away.

Looking forward to seeing some of these old seed make it into adults. Hopefully you’ll find some lovely plants :)

kalopatchkid

Veteran
I believe you can use some sort of tissue culturing medium after sterilization for those seeds that pop and dont continue to grow.

One article I read used Murashige and Skoog medium with phytagel for culturing seeds.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Ahhhh, this is a fun thread :D

I, like many others, have a ton of seed. I always lament the two times in my life where I’ve given a whole shed load of collected seed away.

Looking forward to seeing some of these old seed make it into adults. Hopefully you’ll find some lovely plants :)

Thanks for stopping in, Kal.

I can relate, but on a smaller scale. :) The worst part is when interest in particular seed is expressed, so then gifted, only to sit in someone else's vault.

Look for Schnazz #2 in Chimera's forum. :biggrin:

I believe you can use some sort of tissue culturing medium after sterilization for those seeds that pop and dont continue to grow.

One article I read used Murashige and Skoog medium with phytagel for culturing seeds.

Hey, thanks for that info. It may be a bit over my head but interesting and I will take a look into it. Depending on level of difficulty, it may be worth attempting. I did have more than a few that popped, produced a taproot, but never surfaced.

To that point, I only ended up with the one BOG Bubble. The other did come up but never developed an apical tip. Two of CR did likewise. So I ended up with three Critical Romulans that are doing well. And both Dutch Dragons are coming along. I will clone the Bubble in hopes that some of the Bubble Gum pop to make seed with.

I'll start reading up before popping the AS #1. Thanks again.

H.Stoner

Yeah, i just was interested in buying a cracker but at $55 he can kiss the crack of my green thrifty ass lol. folks keep posting pliers or similar type hand tools. i guess they forget the reality of controlled incremental pressure that most folks can't do that well for seeds.

the micrometer idea is perfect alternative hack. to stop the seed from slipping glue thin piece of felt/ t-shirt/ what ever to both flat ends. crack inside a plastic bag so the little seeds don't get lost in case they pop away from user error.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Yeah, i just was interested in buying a cracker but at $55 he can kiss the crack of my green thrifty ass lol. folks keep posting pliers or similar type hand tools. i guess they forget the reality of controlled incremental pressure that most folks can't do that well for seeds.

the micrometer idea is perfect alternative hack. to stop the seed from slipping glue thin piece of felt/ t-shirt/ what ever to both flat ends. crack inside a plastic bag so the little seeds don't get lost in case they pop away from user error.

You cheapskate! :biggrin:

I agree that Weird nailed it with a great alternative. And your point about the importance of incremental pressure is spot on. Great tips for furthering the practical use of a micrometer!

The one BOG Bubble I got to come up is quite vigorous and nice looking with a great stem rub. Ended up being a male. I have a cut of him, just not sure yet if I am going to try to pop the pack of Serious' Bubble Gum. Will have a better idea of available space once a few plants are sexed.

Here's the male:

picture.php
picture.php

Haven't had a lot of luck with AS #1, but I also haven't attempted and "extra" measures, including cracking. But I do have two above ground. :)

picture.php

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
herbgreen So do you have one of them? Too bad the 3D printed one is out of stock, that's a good price. I never did get to play with mine too much. It turned up missing. When I went to use it and couldn't find it I had to rack my brain for where it could've possibly gone. I *think* the kids that came to snake the sewer line from the house to the street walked off with it... I remember wondering if I should put it away instead of leaving it on the desk near where they'd be working. But then laughed at myself thinking who's going to know what it even is? Well they were some young fellas so maybe its purpose wasn't lost on them. Of course on the other hand, I could've just been really high and put it somewhere and forgot where :tongue:... but I've looked and it should've turned up by now if that were the case.

It would be nice to see an actual experiment with good sized numbers for cracking, complete with a control group. If a seed is nonviable to begin with I don't think cracking is going to make a difference.

herbgreen

Veteran
No, I would get the woodshed seed cracker...Its seems like a very satisfying cracking sound....I like that

I cant see cracking multiple seeds with that wood block but yeah the picture was accidental It just happened with the copy paste so I posted the other one too it shows the concept

It would be simple to make or find something with a stable groove in it like that...

Its scarification first and then can be helped out with an x-acto

... Its really a matter of water getting into the seed :D

ConeSmoker

I once read in an old grow book to line a match box with sandpaper put the seeds in and walk around with it in your pocket. This scufs the seed coating

window

Veteran
Hello fellow cannabis enthusiasts! (And especially preservationists.)

First, I want to thank Lester Beans for his thread and mention of cracking seeds, and that someone made a device to aid with this. And big thanks to Thailer for following up with details.

I have never been too keen on the idea of scuffing. Can’t remember now the member here who recommended using nail clippers to clip the very end of seeds to help with germination, but I liked it. And cracking even more so. I have more than a few packs of seeds in the vault that may not be viable. Here’s a short list off the top of my head without actually looking.

G-13 IX
Dutch Dragon
Thai Tanic
Schnazz #2
Peacemaker
Ancestral Skunk #1 (known to have around 10% viability)
Thai Lights
Exile
G-force
Afghanica
Bubble Gum
BOG Bubble
Papaya
Sweet and Sour Cindy
Critical Romulan

I ended up buying “The Seed Cracker” to hopefully improve the possibility of getting these older, questionably viable seeds to pop. I have other projects and fresher seeds I had wanted to be popping next but I really need to shelve those plans to work my way through these seeds to see if anything can be saved from them. I will pair them with similar lineages when possible. For example, when I try to pop Thai Lights I will follow that up with Thai Tanic if results are poor. So maybe I get two girls from TL and only one plant, a male, from TT. I will toss some pollen around. Likewise, Afghanica and Exile will pair as both are basically Afghan Skunks (Afghanica more so than Exile). And Bubble Gum with BOG Bubble, etc. If I have a high germ rate - 70% - or above on any pack, I will work with those first before popping a similar counterpart. My goal is to try to produce fresh seed stock from each, but depending on viability it may end up as crosses that attempt to stay within similar familial lines. I have two packs of G-13 IX and will start with it. Depending on the results, that may be it until July. If no luck with G-13 I will try to start the Thai crosses next. All this will be to gear up and get practiced before July, when I plan to try to pop 75 AS #1 beans. This will tie me up for some time as I work my way through these packs. I will use this thread to document the results.

The Seed Cracker cost $55 and $10 shipping within the US. For an additional dollar per letter, up to 16 letters can be stamped on it and/or for three dollars a cannabis leaf. Kind of pricey. Especially when you consider that you could get this from Amazon for less than $15.

picture.php

Mill out a nesting bed right in the center, mount it to a board or something else so as to fix it into an upright position, and get cracking. Looks like it would work… ?

Here’s my Cracker:

picture.php

When I was looking around online to see pics of it I found this video of it in action:

I am going to get some GA3 to see if it improves chances. I plan to prep five beans of G-13 as shown in the video using GA3. The other five I will prep with a variation of Chimera’s method as well as soak after washing. I found the claim in the video of gravity aiding by taping the baggie to the cupboard door to be, questionable. Anyone think that makes sense? I suppose it couldn’t hurt and would also allow excess solution to drain away.

Back in a few weeks when things get underway.

Hi Shmavis, In regards to taping a baggie to a door or wall so the baggie hangs vertically, I’m not sure that would help older seed germinate?
What I do know is it will make the tap root grow straight down instead of curling like it naturally does. I’ve tried it myself after Simon from Serious Seeds sent me the info in a pm after I had trouble germinating some Serious 6 seeds.
It can make it easier to transplant the tap rooted seed as just the tap root goes into the soil and the seed shell stays just above, level with the soil surface and stop’s the seed from moving when watering so the seed doesn’t have to try to reorient itself again. It’s a good way for beginners to germ seeds using the paper towel method I suppose. Other than that, I don’t think it could help germinate old seed? Apart from it does help drain away water from the paper towel and may stop rotting but the water still sits at the bottom of the baggie, so should be poured out and the towel re moistened everyday to keep fresh.

Your right about the Classic seed stock, I have two packs of ‘Plato y Plomo ‘ and can’t get them to germ, I need a seed cracking machine too I think 😁
Anyway, I hope your well bro

Vandenberg

420giveaway
I recently was gifted a couple hundred Mythic OG auto flower seeds (re- worked three bears autoflower) and attempted and failed To germinate 25 seeds @ a time over the course of three full moon cycles.that I like my sprouts to be timed too, I can look at the moon and can easily remember sprout dates,
In the old days the keeping of written records of particular dates of specific grow activities was just called evidence when they kicked in the door for a surprise party. ;) :)
This particular batch of seeds were just not popping, nada nothing.
Some have speculated that by providing premium dialed-in nutrition with no lack of available calcium to the mothers diet along with an abundant available silica source it can apparently result in an extra hard seed shell being produced.

I was going to purchase the Mendocino twenty20 seed cracker for thirty bucks. (they have excellent genetics by the way) off of Etsy until I read this thread and then went and bought a 15 dollar Micrometer from Amazon. It works delicately well in my less than nimble fingers.
Snap crackle pop Rice Crispies and voilà! (waahlaah!) it worked, I now have 3Bear babies. Neat trick Of a solution to a problem I have never knowingly encountered before.

Attachments

• 71VFr1mMBdL._SX466_.jpg
    71VFr1mMBdL._SX466_.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Hi Shmavis, In regards to taping a baggie to a door or wall so the baggie hangs vertically, I’m not sure that would help older seed germinate?
What I do know is it will make the tap root grow straight down instead of curling like it naturally does. I’ve tried it myself after Simon from Serious Seeds sent me the info in a pm after I had trouble germinating some Serious 6 seeds.
It can make it easier to transplant the tap rooted seed as just the tap root goes into the soil and the seed shell stays just above, level with the soil surface and stop’s the seed from moving when watering so the seed doesn’t have to try to reorient itself again. It’s a good way for beginners to germ seeds using the paper towel method I suppose. Other than that, I don’t think it could help germinate old seed? Apart from it does help drain away water from the paper towel and may stop rotting but the water still sits at the bottom of the baggie, so should be poured out and the towel re moistened everyday to keep fresh.

Your right about the Classic seed stock, I have two packs of ‘Plato y Plomo ‘ and can’t get them to germ, I need a seed cracking machine too I think 😁
Anyway, I hope your well bro

Hiya Window, all well here, busy, but all’s well. Hope you and yours are well too, brother.

Yeah, hanging the baggie was interesting to me as I had never heard of that. Did it actually help with the Serious 6 seeds?

I also have Plato y Plomo seeds in the vault. I think I have two packs, but maybe only one. When I do try to pop them I have some SuperGerm solution to try that will hopefully help.

If they’re a bust Classic’s friend texasjack shared with me some Mexican seeds that should germinate fine. Just a matter of time and space…

Reactions: zif

Latest posts

Latest posts