What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the best, most practical extraction method for the home grower?

redlaser

Veteran
I’ve seen charts that use a different timeline, that show THCa conversion ~85% complete after 30 min. - which is to say, about the time it takes the heater to reach temperature...taking it much farther percentage-wise takes much more time, and results in more CBN.

It would be good to track the conversion process through those first 30 min to see if there’s an optimum point, beyond which we just burn electricity for no further gain. Medicinal value in THCa, so it seems like a happy medium to be relaxed about it.

The chart I use is the one romanoweed posted on post 58, jump117 posted it in his thread also a few years back.

Looks like I should have been going for 250/30 mins. instead of 220/30 mins, not sure if that was a typing error, or attempt to preserve more terpenes at lower temps.

I use an second thermo meter in the oven while decarbing, for more accurate temps. Usually preheat the pan in oven, add pot, set timer a minute or two longer than target time to get pot up to temp

romanoweed

However pure it is, after 20 Miutes it looked the best!

picture.php

I read Sam Skunkman likes to smoke Skuff, he told it in the Drysiftthread. He also told it doesent Need to be pressed, it is better unpressed , only then has full Taste, and can be smoket in the bong dabb thingy, but you Need an unusual thin Mesh in Bong..

And the method for finding out perfect time of decarboxilation you described Wolf is only for Honey Oil, Ethanolextraction, and CO2 Extractions.. Of wich honey and co2 arent really a Thema here, they are a bit to complicated. The bubble-Link doesent work.

Last edited:

romanoweed

I just dont get why These are so unknown.. Didnt know it myselve.. i read one of These has 220 Meshsize, wich is quiet big.

picture.php

picture.php

Pollen Tumbler Thread:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=365155

I think that is definitely most easy Method to get Skuff/Hash. If you want hash just press it between Fingers, and if like heat it Abit with Lighter, but i would try Skuff alone for undesired Taste

romanoweed

I found another Method. Its a Combiantion of Sift and Alcohol-extraction. It is simple in therms of you dont Need to think so much, but amount of work is average.

1st: Sift your Plantmaterial rudimentairly. No Problem if there is abit to much green Matter coming trough, just make a average Degree Hash/skuff.

2nd: place Hash/Skuff into alcohol. After a Week, sift this trough Coffefilter. What Comes trough the Coffefilter is evaporated by low heat in a Pan sitting in Waterbath, stir Abit until no much Bubbles.

So: no Need for EXACT sifttime-adjustment. This garantys that there is not much green Matter left while Alcohol-extraction, since the biggest Problem in Alcohol-Extraction is the harsh Taste that Comes from Green Matter.
Some People question if Smoking Alcohol-residues is bad, but no knowledge, only speculation.

Thats the Simplest, most convincing Method in my Oppo. Just buy a pair of Stockings, (haha) and high Percentage clear Alcohol in Store, the purer, the more Effective. 100 percent alcohol caled Ethanol is also chaep to get in something like Hobby/Construction-Stores. Attention, there are 2 Sorts of it, if i recall right. Google alc.ectract. Cannabis. or just buy Whisky, its ok too.

look:
https://youtu.be/ipYPLTArkcU?t=26m40s

Last edited:
I just dont get why These are so unknown.. Didnt know it myselve.. i read one of These has 220 Meshsize, wich is quiet big.

View Image

View Image

Pollen Tumbler Thread:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=365155

I think that is definitely most easy Method to get Skuff/Hash. If you want hash just press it between Fingers, and if like heat it Abit with Lighter, but i would try Skuff alone for undesired Taste

I bought one of those. It's very small, like you can tumble a 1/2 oz. Also, it's so small that as the weed tumbles it can't really fall against the mesh like it needs to, so almost nothing comes off of it. The motor spins it too fast too, so the weed can't sift like it needs to. Total waste of money. I cant wait for something reasonably priced that is large enough. It looks cool if you don't know the size.:dunno::2cents:

romanoweed

i heard you can place Marbles or whaterver inside. I heard from that Kind of Problems..

. I just know my SELVEKONSTRUCTED motorized Vibration Siftmesh worked well. I didnt wrongly declare it as functioning. There are also different Sellers....

E

ESTERCHASER

what i hate is some of my fave flowers cant be made into concentrates because the volatile terps or esters "flare off" during processing im told.......looking for potent edibles in northern vermont from TRUSTED folks is impossible as of now, yes were legal but the clowns in legislature gave folks no access short of growing their own/making their own.........it is what it is i guess.

Gry

Citric acid extraction.
As described here:

https://cannapedia.me/Citric+Acid+Extraction

Seems like an easy method to me.
I think I'm gonna give it a try someday.
The method can also be found under Cooking With Cannabis as a sticky ,
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BadKat's CannaPharm: Canna Caps, UV Reactive GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna 'Bombs' & more[/FONT]
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=205263
Shared by the user badykittysmiles.
Left a wealth of quality recipes.
All kinds of food, drink, and candies using
the base obtained via the citric extraction.

Yes you can. Except, you're making QWEt at that point instead of QWIso. ;)

haha ok ok, I just feel more comfortable extracting with something that was made for human consumption. I have a pound of hemp coming shortly and i'm thinking this is my best bet to extract it for tinctures etc.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
haha ok ok, I just feel more comfortable extracting with something that was made for human consumption. I have a pound of hemp coming shortly and i'm thinking this is my best bet to extract it for tinctures etc.

Fair enough. Yes, there is a peace of mind about not having to worry about whether you've purged all of the solvent, and since you're making tinctures instead of wax or shatter for smoking/vaping, I do in fact recommend you go with ethanol instead. That's how I do my tinctures. Isopropyl is only really recommended for extractions where the entire amount of solvent will be evaporated away.

romanoweed

The Problem with Ethanol is: Ethanol is not only extracting Resin, no it extracts many many other Substances, such as Chlorophyll, and other unwanted Substances out of the Plant. Thats the reason for the harsh Taste. (even i dont get why actually it becomes that harsh, since originally the say : complete Flower wasnt that harsh

How did your Extractions turn out Hush?? Not so pleasant right? still ok?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The Problem with Ethanol is: Ethanol is not only extracting Resin, no it extracts many many other Substances, such as Chlorophyll, and other unwanted Substances out of the Plant. Thats the reason for the harsh Taste. (even i dont get why actually it becomes that harsh, since originally the say : complete Flower wasnt that harsh

It's palatable. I always add it to something, instead of taking it straight (that shit burns!). I barely notice it when I add it to some IPA, or even when I add it to milk. But I have to say, the reason why I'm tasting it is that I didn't do a quick wash. I did a long, several-week wash. I can all but guarantee that the taste would be barely noticeable if I did it quick wash style.

It's just that, since I'm taking it in tincture form, it doesn't matter to me that the chlorophyll and fats and stuff are in there. I only care about that when I'm making shatter.

romanoweed

Ah, ok, then it might be allright. But the Thread was ment also for smokable Products, acording youtr Title.
So, for Smoking (dabbing) , you would know what i mean.. short wash may help, but i doubt it would be perfect

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Ah, ok, then it might be allright. But the Thread was ment also for smokable Products, acording youtr Title.
So, for Smoking (dabbing) , you would know what i mean.. short wash may help, but i doubt it would be perfect

Where did you get that this is a thread about smokable products? I even just went back and re-read the first post and I don't see it. I mean, I did say that the only experience I had (at the time of starting this thread) was with QWISO and QWET, but I never specified that I wanted to talk only about smokables. Nonetheless, I never intended that, so please everyone feel free to talk about *any* kind of concentrated cannabis product in here.

:tiphat:

romanoweed

I think me using the Word "but" was Abit confusing . Sorry if it was . i ment it like : but aswell, as justification for me presenting my methods. ttill later

OkThen

Citric acid extraction.
As described here:

https://cannapedia.me/Citric+Acid+Extraction

Seems like an easy method to me.
I think I'm gonna give it a try someday.

I'v done this a couple of times, and have been pleased with the results. I was never sure if I was getting a full decarb in the oven or passing the point. I also like the idea of eating the full product to get most med benefits. In my experience it takes about a week or more to get a full decarb, I can pop a single canna cap using bud with pleasing results, two will put me at a decent altitude. My tolerance is fairly low. :)

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Technique makes a difference. QWET performed at subzero temperatures doesn't pickup the chlorophyll or other water solubles, so isn't harsh.

Latest posts

Latest posts