What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Not Shake This Calcium Deficiency/Lockout For The Life Of Me!! Why???

JimMuscles

Only Ornamental mentioned Quick lime and hydrated lime can be mixed with Glycine amino acid to make chelated calcium/magnesium also if your looking for other homemade things to try.

I bought dissolvine chelated calcium before i saw your posts about gypsum, and chelating with aminos. When i run out im gonna use gypsum and some amino product. Which amino product do you recommend for a good value? Precisely how do i make and apply this gypsum based homemade calmag? I know exactly the ppm of the dissolvine calcium, its 25 ppm per gram. Is doing it with lime better? Im in coco.

Edit. Nvm i saw you recommend the amino product from customhydro. Thats where i bought my calcium actually, and i was looking at that one. Perfect. Ill try and find the dosage.

beta

Veteran
I bought dissolvine chelated calcium before i saw your posts about gypsum, and chelating with aminos. When i run out im gonna use gypsum and some amino product. Which amino product do you recommend for a good value? Precisely how do i make and apply this gypsum based homemade calmag? I know exactly the ppm of the dissolvine calcium, its 25 ppm per gram. Is doing it with lime better? Im in coco.

I got fantastic results top dressing with gypsum once per week and watering it in. I think I used around 1 TSP per gallon of medium, maybe a touch more.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Gypsum provides calcium and sulfur and wont affect PH. Lime products raise PH and provide calcium with varying amounts of magnesium. Yeah the Ferti Nitro Aminos are it, they were recommended by jidoka. Will answer more later.

JimMuscles

Gypsum provides calcium and sulfur and wont affect PH. Lime products raise PH and provide calcium with varying amounts of magnesium. Yeah the Ferti Nitro Aminos are it, they were recomeded by jidoka. Will answer more later.

Thanks. I saw 1tsp gypsum top dressed per gal of media per week in a thread, but i want to mix it all together before feeding. I think just a tiny amount per gallon of water of aminos and gypsum. Like 1/4 tsp of amino and 1/2tsp gypsum sounds right. But idk lol

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
2 to 1 ratio glycine amino to the element(s) being chelated is ideal as the chelated form is biglycinate meaning 2 glycine aminos. The solution grade gypsum is a fine powder and advertises water soluble up to 2 grams per liter or 7.7 grams per gallon. Mixing with water should be ok, calcium really only important during Veg and stretch. Probably good to add small amounts of aminos through plants whole life though.

Slownickel advises minimizing magnesium inputs in the rootzone and applying through foliar mainly, the quick lime or hydrated lime chelated with aminos would be great for this and then gypsum for the rootzone.

The solution grade gypsum says 22% calcium.
1% = 10,000ppm.

22% calcium x 10,000ppm per % = 220,000ppm calcium

1/4 teaspoon per gallon = 1.25ml per gallon.
1.25ml a gallon ÷ 3.78 liters a gallon = 0.3306878307ml per liter.

0.3306878307ml per liter = 1/4 teaspoon or 1.25ml per gallon

220,000ppm calcium x 0.3306878307ml per liter ÷ 1000ml = 72.751322754ppm calcium.

If my math is correct 1/4 teaspoon 22% calcium solution grade gypsum per 3.78L gallon water should give 72.751322754ppm calcium.

JimMuscles

2 to 1 ratio glycine amino to the element(s) being chelated is ideal as the chelated form is biglycinate meaning 2 glycine aminos. The solution grade gypsum is a fine powder and advertises water soluble up to 2 grams per liter or 7.7 grams per gallon. Mixing with water should be ok, calcium really only important during Veg and stretch. Probably good to add small amounts of aminos through plants whole life though.

Slownickel advises minimizing magnesium inputs in the rootzone and applying through foliar mainly, the quick lime or hydrated lime chelated with aminos would be great for this and then gypsum for the rootzone.

The solution grade gypsum says 22% calcium.
1% = 10,000ppm.

22% calcium x 10,000ppm per % = 220,000ppm calcium

1/4 teaspoon per gallon = 1.25ml per gallon.
1.25ml a gallon ÷ 3.78 liters a gallon = 0.3306878307ml per liter.

0.3306878307ml per liter = 1/4 teaspoon or 1.25ml per gallon

220,000ppm calcium x 0.3306878307ml per liter ÷ 1000ml = 72.751322754ppm calcium.

If my math is correct 1/4 teaspoon 22% calcium solution grade gypsum per 3.78L gallon water should give 72.751322754ppm calcium.

Very nice sir. Thank you kindly.

gmanwho

Veteran
so back to the rot topic for a second. again, i had fusarium root rot and fusarium crown rot verified by a laboratory.

all i can say is

Actinovate

Actinovate

Actinovate

Actinovate biofungicide

while it wont cure a severely diseased plant, it will help prevent a healthy plant from being taken over, or slow down the spread of root rot. or in my last larger room run, it allowed the root system to heal an rebuild. an i had an decent harvest.

i saw a complete transformation on a room that i thought was a goner. i was ready to pull the whole room, but i had nothing large enough to take their place, so i said well i'll ride this for another 10-12 or so days an see what happens. while i changed nothing more then adding actinovate and did a few longer dry down periods.

at first i handed watered 2 tablesoons actinovte per 5 gal bucket of nutrient, with the normal 1 tbsp of recharge once a week. now im down to 1 tablespoon actinovate an 1 tbsp recharge.

actinovate is not coming out of my normal rotation!!!

Benefaktor

I had the same problem in my hydro, I tried to solve it by giving more calcium but eventually I found that was to high ph, the best range in hydro is 5,5 to 5,8. Now I have not any problems with blocked or lacked minerals. I am using flora micro and bloom(made by myself from raw salts) in proportion 6/9/gal.