What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1 g calcium acetate = 250 ppm calcium true or false?

shaggyballs

Veteran
-

Attachments

• cal -chart.jpg
    cal -chart.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

mofeta

Veteran
ppm (parts per million) is usually used to describe solution concentrations.

You should look up these terms:

empirical formula

mass fraction

1g of C4H6CaO4 has approximately 253mg. of elemental calcium.

EDIT: So the answer to your original question is: False. If you had to express the mass fraction of calcium in CaAc in ppm, it would be ~253,000ppm.

Last edited:
Thank you kindly to all who replied!!

I see the error of my ways now!
I asked the question wrong!

Here is what I should have said:
If Calcium acetate is about 25.3% elemental calcium or 253 mg/g.
If I add 1 gram Calcium acetate AKA 253 mg of elemental calcium to 1 liter of water I should have 253 PPM of calcium as we speak of it in fertilizers is that correct?

When we speak of calcium in fertilizes are we speaking of elemental calcium?

And I am trying to completely comprehend empirical formula and mass fraction as we speak.

How in the world do you brainy people find the time to smoke with all this silly studying going on!!!! GeeZe!
:smoke out:
Thanks again
shag
:smoke out:

Yes, we speak of elemental Calcium. And yes, your above calculation is correct.

Avenger

Veteran
What if you're working with the more common monohydrate instead of the anhydrous salt?

shaggyballs

Veteran
Avenger
An expert was here and provided no knowledge.
The guy owns his own fert company but could only ask a question...WTF

And you wonder why I don't talk growing weed anymore?...LOL

Grapefruitroop

Nice! Yes i went in search of one with no N and i ended up making up with calcium oxide and some epsom salts..separately
In veg yes CalciumNitrate with MagnesiumNitrate but sometimes i change the NCa for the calcium oxide to dont overload in N...
I was wondering out of curiosity if was possible put in the same bottle diluted or in powder some calcium and some magnesium without creating reactions...:pimp3:

Latest posts

Latest posts