What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Pole and bush beans taking off.
pole and bush beans 2023.jpg

Carrots, beets and onions.
garden2023.jpg

Crane melons starting to flower.
Crane melons 2023.jpg

Peas , a variety of sweet and hot peppers and onions
Pepperspeasonions2023.jpg

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My tomatoes are light years ahead of where they were last year. They've already grown taller than my trellis. Now to start weaving them across the top. I'm growing Galina's which is a small yellow cherry tomato and absolutely delicious. One of the most flavor I have found, which is why it is always in my garden. I'm also trying Roselle Cherries which are a fade to deep red in when their ripe. I've had a couple of them so far and they appear to be pretty good. And HOLY COW does it throw fruit! It's easily keeping up with my Galina's which are known top producers. If they continue to taste as good as the first 2 were these might stay as well.

Also trying my hand at San Marzanos. Which I have been told are difficult to grow. But these have been very easy and have already produced a ton of fruit. I'm waiting for them to ripen.

I also have a Cherokee purple which is a (obviously) purple beefsteak type eating tomato. They are also doing very well but I have had a few tomatoes cat face on me. It's producing a ton of normal fruit though so I've just been picking off the ones I've been finding so the plant doesn't keep putting energy into a not so great fruit.

My melon plants are also enjoying this hot weather. Trying 3 different varieties on the trellis, all mini or small in size. Everything is in bloom or fruiting heavily already.

I harvested my first batch of raspberries last night before dusk. Got a full quart and plenty more berries ripening daily. I've got to head back down after the sun starts going down to harvest more of them. I wouldn't be surprised if I get another full quart.

My one pear tree has a ton of fruit forming on it, as does my Cortland Apple. Maybe next year my youngest pear, Honey Crisp and Peach trees will produce fruit. Going to be probably 2 years before I see fruit on my cherry tree.

My potatoes are standing tall and my blackberry bushes are doing very well. Hopefully within a couple years I should have that bed filled with bushes and gets lots and lots of fruit.

Happy gardening everybody!

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
San Marzano Tomatoes doing well.

20230713_150941.jpg

My Galina cherries are fruiting very heavily

20230713_151055.jpg

My Blot Peppers are coming along nicely. The parts that are still yellowish green will turn orange when they're ripe.

20230713_151148.jpg

And my Sugar Rush Peach are almost ready for harvest.

20230713_151202.jpg

I have never seen tomato vines this long or with this many fruits on them. I'm shocked.

20230713_150931.jpg

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have 3 gallons of raspberries harvested, and the bushes show no signs of slowing down. By the time they're done, I won't be surprised if I end up with 9 or 10 gallons. They just won't stop.

I'm going to end up with a 55 gallon drum of raspberry jam if this keeps up!

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just tasted my Sugar Rush Peach pepper for the very first time. It has a surprisingly light, sweet, citrusy taste that is quite good for the first 2-3 seconds. Then the heat hits your tongue and I lost the taste. The heat stayed mostly on the tongue, a bit in the rest of the mouth. It didn't travel down the throat like habaneros or scorpions do. And it is pretty hot. Right at the upper end of my tolerance. Habaneros are the hottest I can handle raw, and these are almost right there. Which would line up with the Scoville Scale.

I think these are going to make a killer Peach hot sauce. I'll try a blueberry sauce too because those are my favorite hot sauces. But I've been told the peach hot peppers and peaches are a natural pairing so I'm going to give it a shot.

Latest posts

Latest posts