What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COCO PH--------5.8 or 6.3????

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
I have been hearing way too many different things. Let this thread settle the differences.

I currently water at around 6.0 with canna coco with GH h3ads formula +molasses and bat guano

Hydro shop guys tell me to bump it to 6.3

I have seen on here some people saying 6.5-6.8 for coco.

WHAT ARE YOU USING???????

G

Guest 18340

I was having slight mag defs running the Lucas formula at 6. I bumped it to 6.5 and I'm good to go now.
So, 6.5 for me.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
i run mine at 5.8-60 with h@g nutrient. it says to run this ph in coco and 6.3-6.5 hydro on the nutrient guide thingy.

motofox16

6.0... Test PH BEFORE you add nutrients. Nutrients can throw the PH off so you should always PH before you add any nutrients. Once I knew how much acid to add to a 5 gal bucket of water it was easy from there on out, I only had to test PH every once in a great while just to make sure. Oh and I was using connosuir, but I think this trend will run the same for all

*mistress*

Veteran
ideally, ph should drift over range wherein plants can assimilate different nutes @ different ph's. this is cation exchange capacity, or ability of electrical charges to permeate various barriers.

gh flora nova will keep it buffered in the range of 6.0-6.3. can always go up or down to permit certain nutes in @ certain times.

Last edited:
ideally, ph should drift over range wherein plants can assimilate different nutes @ different ph's.

this is cation exchange capacity, or ability of electrical charges to piggy-bach on each other, or permeate various barriers.

in this imaginary garden, never check ph of fresh nutes or run-off.

gh flora nova will keep it buffered in the range of 6.0-6.3. can always go up or down to permit certain nutes in @ certain times.

if started @ 5.8, and gets to 6.2-6.5 in a week, have at least tried to permit all nutes access to plant @ their critical path.

also, different plant may react different to varying ph's. know your cultivar(s) and adjust accordingly.

hope this helps. enjoy your garden!

at the moment i am liking a drift between 5.7 & 6.2

Do any of you guys use an air stone in your rez? I was planning on letting my PH drift up, but I added one and my PH shoots back up to 8 in 1 day and I need to add more PH down. I had always heard this was a good thing to add to increase oxygen in the water, but wasnt sure if that only applied to hydro systems.

Wait...What?

Veteran
Try this:

[for flowering]
pH on the nutrients for weeks 1 and 2 -- 5.6-5.8
pH on the nutrients for weeks 3 and 4 -- 6.0-6.4
pH for the rest of the run -- 5.6-5.8

or don't; its just a suggestion :D

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
motofox said:
6.0... Test PH BEFORE you add nutrients. Nutrients can throw the PH off so you should always PH before you add any nutrients

So what?? I should check the PH before dosing the water with nute´s?? Always thought I should test PH after adding nute´s, co´s they surely make changes to the PH...

If somebody can clarify this for me as fast as possible, I would be very grateful!

*mistress*

Veteran
So what?? I should check the PH before dosing the water with nute´s?? Always thought I should test PH after adding nute´s, co´s they surely make changes to the PH...

If somebody can clarify this for me as fast as possible, I would be very grateful!

gh nutes (fnb, floralicoius). usually settles aroung 6.0-6.2. can easily go up or down from there.

Last edited:

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
thanks for the reply misstress, but im using Bio Nova Coco & nute´s.. Im not new growing in coco, but was hydroguy awhile and now I have hmmm :chin: Volume´s, so to speak to handle and I have always checked my Ph after nute´s so dont know what to think..

My tech has always worked good and plants grow slowly in coco only using water, but im after perfection this round...

Well see...

L

Lune TNS

I've been keeping my pH around 6.0, sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower, and I've had nothing but good results... Like someone else said a certain amount of drift in pH is a good thing... Hell I know people who claim to not check ph AT ALL (using just floranova in the rez) and they get awesome results....

T

thepike1984

thanks for the reply misstress, but im using Bio Nova Coco & nute´s.. Im not new growing in coco, but was hydroguy awhile and now I have hmmm :chin: Volume´s, so to speak to handle and I have always checked my Ph after nute´s so dont know what to think..

My tech has always worked good and plants grow slowly in coco only using water, but im after perfection this round...

Well see...

Im also using Bio Nova nutes with Atami Bcuzz coco substrate. I let my water sit for 24 hours before i mix my nutes. When iv mixed my A+B solution i dont have to adjust PH level (5.8-6.2 works for me). Iv been told when i start using PK 13/14 i will most likely have to adjust with PH down. This may be different for you as your water will be different. I check PH level after iv made my nute solution but im no expert.

Pike

Do any of you guys use an air stone in your rez? I was planning on letting my PH drift up, but I added one and my PH shoots back up to 8 in 1 day and I need to add more PH down. I had always heard this was a good thing to add to increase oxygen in the water, but wasnt sure if that only applied to hydro systems.

i had the same problem. at first i didnt use an airstone and the pH would fall to 4.5......then i use one and the pH is at 7.9. now theres cloudy shit all in the rez, probably bacteria out the ass. how the hell do you fix this problem!? currently, i run the airstone only when the pump runs, im hoping this will even out the factors on both parts to an acceptable pH.....?

motofox16

Well see...

Ya this is what I found, although I do agree with mistress that you can control PH with certain nutes to put into your coco that aren't part of a nutrient line, but if your running by the nutrients of the coco lines or any other nutrient lines its rather important to do PH, especially with coco.

I was having problems with my plants before I started testing PH, I was running my nutes and just my nutes as specified by a feeding chart. I wasn't changing PH and my plants started showing bad signs, checked it out on here and it looked like PH problem. I went to my grow buddy and he said the little PH droppers are an easy chemical reaction that is pretty accurate without paying for a 100 dollar digital that does a lot more.

I then started PHing after my nutes were added and was getting weird PH numbers that weren't the same all the time, and would vary bad, My plants also did not pull out of their PH problems.

I went to the hydro store and he told me I have to test PH BEFORE you add nutes because they will change the PH, but they are set up to use with a certain PH of water as directed. So if you don't start with that PH of water, they will end up different. So start with the PH of your water at 6.0 or as directed for different stages, then add your nutes that are recommended. Pulled my plants back into action and grew amazing after that.

Thats just my experience though.

Nohogrower

i run mine at 6 from week 1 of veg and incremented up to 6.4 by the time I'm ready to flip to 12/12. Then week 1 of 12/12 I start at 6 again and work my way back up to 6.4. This worked for me and as stated by so many others. You will be fine if you stay in the 5.8 to 6.4 range.. Happy Grows.

LEGAL and PROUD of it in NoHo!!!!!

Nohogrower

sorry I posted in wrong thread on the PH'ing to get on track with this discussion i used to use airstones. I recently switched to mini pumps 15 - 20 GPH about 1 inch by 1 and 1/2 inch and are capable of circulating a rez of 55 Gallons at a fraction of the cost of airstones...

Nohogrower

I make R/O water which for comes out at 6 even. I run mine at 6 from week 1 of veg and increase up to 6.4 by the time I'm ready to flip to 12/12. Then week 1 of 12/12 I start at 6 again and work my way back up to 6.4. This worked for me and as stated by so many others. I'm using Home & Gardens with lots of extra goodies for carbs and sugars and extra phos with minipumps circulating the rez....You will be fine if you stay in the 6.0 to 6.4 range, you'll have many successful Grows. One final thought, I highly recommend adding Drip Clean to your rez it helps increase the length of time between flushes and it forms a mollecular bond around your core nutes and aids in the delivery to the roots. You really gotta watch out for the salt build up.

LEGAL and PROUD of it in NoHo!!!!