What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Matchbox Cars

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh boy, it's been 60 years since my Dad gave me my first matchbox car. I "re-discovered" them recently and lately the goal has been to acquire the first 75 examples as a type and eventually include the varieties when found.

Anybody do matchbox cars?? :dance013:

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I still have a large box of my old Match Box and Corgi Dinky toy's.

As a matter of fact, I have a few of them on my desk, including my Jim Clark Lotus..... :biggrin:

I also have a dozen or so of my old hot Wheels. Do you remember the Sizzler's from Hot Wheels ...??

I have a few of those also. Unfortunately, years ago, my Mother threw away all of my orange track that came with it.

RMS

:smoweed:

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I still have a large box of my old Match Box and Corgi Dinky toy's.

As a matter of fact, I have a few of them on my desk, including my Jim Clark Lotus..... :biggrin:

Match Box or Corgi - I can't remeber - once made a Bat Mobile replica car. It came with plastic missles that you loaded in a launcher that was behind the seats. If you pushed the car on the floor, it would launch the plastic missles.

It also had a chain cutter that would pop out of the front bumper. I had two, but no longer have them. This car is is worth over $5K today, if you can find one.

I also have a dozen or so of my old hot Wheels. Do you remember the Sizzlers from Hot Wheels ...??

I have a few of those also. Unfortunately, years ago, my Mother threw away all of my orange racing track that came with it.

RMS

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had an original James Bond 007 Aston Martin. Was neat, had machine guns that popped out the front bumper, a bullet proof shield that popped up behind the rear window....an ejector seat.

I've been buying a few here and there.....mostly near mint ( moko lesney's #1-75 ) or recently got a couple new ones that even the vintage boxes are new. But they start running into a few bucks each. There's a red Vauxhall matchbox car on ebay right now that was bid at a little over US $3,000. :good:

Never got into hotwheels. I think when my Mom gave my box of matchbox cars the heave-ho along with my baseball cards at an early age my interest laid dormant apparently for over half a century after that!

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
They are always worth way more if you still have the original box.

I too had the James Bond Aston Martin.... :good:

When I was a kid, I also had electric track cars, an Eldon and a Stombecker, with lots of dual lane track. I can still remember playing for hours on end with them.

RMS

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
It Was A Corgi - Pic from Google Images

It Was A Corgi - Pic from Google Images

171113140551_101_2693.jpg

RMS

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The guy that built this ho scale track also custom built mine. I have to find images of mine which is a re-creation of the 1/24 scale track I raced as a kid, now reincarnated as an ho scale track and oh yes I also have custom built brass chassis gravity race cars AND custom pained lexan bodies, duplicated of the real race cars in USA, japan, Germany etc

But this is the end fll be all track by Brad Bowman
LenjetHOSovereign.jpg

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Does anybody remember these matchbox display units ?

3595a90564ac496c2dd810d2f53a86e9.jpg

I do, because there was a small corner store by my house when growing up that had one of these.

All this talk got me curious, so I did some interwebs research. It appears that the Corgi Batmobile isn't worth as much as I previously thought. They are available on E-Bay and other websites. Sellers are asking anywhere from $300.00 all the way up to $1000.00, depending on location, condition and whether it comes with the original box.

RMS

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My old track before Brad The Man did his thing

Try a gif?
002.gif

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor