What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Macro photography 101

M0nkey

bringin it home.

bringin it home.

I read that some are not happy cause every shot isnt perfect..I just wanted to say of the 250 pics i take in 1 session only 10-20 will be keepers!when your at 1:1 and past that taking many shots is a must..This is the great thing with digital slrs..

Tip of the day

shoot in fstop 8-16 shutter speed 125 -200 iso 100.

If u need more light use the + and - buttons on your flash..this way u can shoot in any setting u want and ajust the flash as and when its needed.

Last edited:

M0nkey

Green shield bug

Green shield bug

Green shield bug

When fully grown the common green shield bug (Palomena prasina) is a broad, flattened, green insect with a darker area at the rear end (see picture). The adult bugs are 10mm long and are often seen basking in the sun in late summer on a wide variety of plants. This insect is native to Britain and is of widespread occurrence, especially in southern England.

263511265879944_a63986ee71_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 400D Digital
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/14
Focal Length: 65 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash fired
Lens : MPE-65
life size - 1:1

Last edited:

M0nkey

editing software(cs2)

editing software(cs2)

after u have took your pics your need to edit them..
resizing - sharpening-cropping-zooming 100% and taking dust marks off your pics..For this the best program to use is photo shop..most use photo shop cs2 which i use..amazing program,,get it from torrent..why pay 300£ when u can download it for free..;)any way get a copy of that and a cs2 book..its very complicated if u get real in to it but using the sharpering,croping,resizing and taking dust marks from your pics is very easy to do with this software,.theres not much i can say on photo shop as i have only been using it for 8 weeks but buying a cs2 photo shop book and get the cd your soon master it..:)

theres a few things i have learnt which i have put below so if any one needs help with them just let me know..:)

resizing
cropping
zooming
Removing dust marks from pics
boarders
sharpening

mayby this thread should be sticky?

Last edited:

-BG-

M0nkey said:
This insect is native to Britain and is of widespread occurrence, especially in southern England.

We have those insects here in Finland too...they are green like that one on your photo or they can be also brown like this fellow...
Damn how much I want macro lense for my camera :D

Nikon D40, AF-S Nikkor 18 - 55 mm

-BG-

-BG-

bannana man said:
heres a few macros i took with my nickon d40 and sigma 105mm macro lense

Nice bannana :yes: how much do you paid for that 105mm macro lens...?

-BG-

m@rg

go on .. pull my finger
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very nice shots there
i use a cannon powershot a640 10mp
pretty good allrounder for the price

didnt want to get too close. (freehand shot in natural light )
all exif data gets took off my pics so cant put focal distance etc..
7 legged spider

Last edited:

M0nkey

m@rg said:
very nice shots there
i use a cannon powershot a640 10mp
pretty good allrounder for the price

didnt want to get too close. (freehand shot in natural light )
all exif data gets took off my pics so cant put focal distance etc..
7 legged spider

hehehe hes only got 7 legs..lol lost 1 in battle.

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey folks ...amazing pics! here are some mixed shots that i took with my old cannon (A540) + macro lens (52mm)

15012IMG_2893.JPG

15012IMG_2936.JPG

15012IMG_1928.JPG

15012dc_trics11.JPG

15012DCxSkunk_macro_calyx.JPG

15012DCxSkunk_calyx.JPG

15012f13_tp9.JPG

15012f13_tp7.JPG

15012f13_tp2.JPG

15012IMG_2916.JPG

15012bee_eye.JPG

-BG-

M0nkey said:
i can answer that cause i have the same one..
280£ bran new for sigma 105mm macro lens..

Thanks..! It is about same price here....Very nice pics everyone...!

-BG-

G

guest5703

nice bannana man! Those are some killer macros, I don't have a macro lens yet, but I have started to use the macro feature on my camera

Some Purple Dragon at 21 days(or less)

bigbuddhaseeds

monkey and bman,nice shots there , personally think that all your shots are the highest grade on all these forums, big respect, these pics could make any cover in the world and best of all its all uk!
peace bros, bb