What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado marijuana prices see huge drop, drug cartels reeling

Buckowens

Dr. King,
Sam is right. I fought him on the subject quite adamantly. And after several years of research, it's a dead end. There are some very interesting cultural and geographical timelines that need to be explored further. But no Native or natural americans were using cannabis in any real capacity prior to 1492.

$50 a pound is a little tight. But I could see $500 pounds and $50 Oz for sure. I'm just a personal micro grower, but I've done the math including all consumables used, the seed electric and water. And I can grow for a few dimes a gram. I do not include my time in the formula since I usually trim watching tv. And it only takes a few minutes a week to mix and water for a couple of plants.

On a large scale? I believe farmers could produce $50 a pound weed. I think they could produce quality too. They know their stuff. But, I really don't see that happening.

Am watching to see how things go this fall. A lot of folks are trying getting into the MJ craze. Gonna be a lot of weed to sell. I'm guessing low tier weed maybe $500 and top shelf maybe as low as $1500. But I'm just guessing.

Sam, what do you think about the idea that cannabis speciated in the Ganges Delta and then evolved as it spread to higher elevations?

Last edited:

Weliketogrow

~~ Lol.. You are free to sell your work for $50 a pound!! I grow "fire" ~~ I get mine! Lol.. monkey5

thank you monkey5 finally someone with commonsense and those people wanting $50 crap can go somewhere else. As a good grower that's like spitting in there face. Way to much time and effort go into growing primo cannabis.

Weliketogrow

Hallelujuah.

Current american cannabis regulations are criminal, promoting small business and crushing innovation.

Quality cannabis SHOULD be going for under 50$ a pound.

Haters gonna hate but that's economics.

My 2 cents peace

I'm not hating but obviously you know nothing about economics. So basically what your saying is let the corporations take over and destroy the quality of cannabis you smoke as well as the industry. And if you want to spit in the quality growers faces like that keep your 2 cents to yourself. It takes extremely hard work and diligence to grow the good quality cannabis you so much love to smoke.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This topic certainly has had twists and turns. Only time will show if prices continue to drop. In my master's studies a few decades ago (healthcare economics), it still remains "supply & demand" still delegates prices on most any product or service. Suffice to sat, it will probably follow suit in Colorado, Washington and elsewhere w/ availability of cannabis, price and the quality of the product. That's why Mexican brick is priced lower than top shelf grown.

In regards to Sam and Dr. King, I did find an article (personal perception from what I read), with no direct citations.

Scroll down about 2/3's of the article and it mentions cannabis (which clearly could have been transported via Ice Age from China, (Asia), Russia to now fertile grounds of America.

Here's a few excerpts and the article I found.

".....Many tribes used tobacco as a sacrament, but it was rarely a common smoke, and was not an herb for daily use. Many tribes smoked different mixtures, and for this reason, many herbs in different states were illegal in the hands of a Native American. Some were just cooking spices, but almost any ceremonial herb in the Americas have been illegal at some point. Some pipe herbs used include sage, mints, salvia, peyote, mullen, cannabis, and many others. Though a lot of tribes used cannabis it was not only as something they put in a pipe......

Cannabis is considered a sacred herb in many tribes, though not all. Some used it in food, medicine, and smoke blends. Some tribes used it in a handful of rituals; others used it more as a daily prayer and meditation herb. There are many forms of anthropological evidence of this, dating a few thousand years before the Asians have written proof of use. Most strains found on the East coast were not as good as those from India, but were growing both wild and cultivated long before Europeans’ arrival on this side of the world.

United States courts have ruled that cannabis being a religious sacrament to many tribes does not give us the right to use it. The government can’t easily tell who is considered Native American enough to use it, because unlike peyote it’s a commonly used substance that would be harder to police for the exemptions of religious purpose.

Many tribes have sacred strains that they have grown for hundreds of human generations. As a Native American from more than one tribe, I have some of this information from my direct traditions with the cannabis plant. The rest of my knowledge comes from reading field studies and test reports from dig sites....

It is difficult to fully practice any ritual in open spaces, with other Native Americans who fully understand and respect the traditions and beliefs that have been passed down since long before 1492."

http://cannabisdigest.ca/cannabis-native-americans-culture-religion/

That is part of the human experience, to learn something everyday. Take what you will about the article....just putting it out there.

Weliketogrow

How does one produce quality cannabis for $50 a lb? I'm all ears...

they don't and people who have grown good quality know that. Oh and to the people who are trying to calculate the cost for 1 plant saying they could make a pound for $50 just quit. I hope that answers your question

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"...Many people deny all evidence of the existence of hemp in the New World before Christopher Columbus’ arrival. However, there are many examples of fabric, yarn, clothes and bags made of this fibre, which reveal how widespread cannabis was among pre-Columbian indigenous tribes. It was basically used to make fabric, sandals, fishing nets, ropes, mats and baskets, although it was also used in rituals and medicine. (Nowadays the possibilities with hemp are even bigger, such as Bio Fuel made out of hemp, read more, Ed.) Hemp, being a dioecious plant – with separate male and female genders – has a high level of genetic variability, which makes it very adaptable and predisposed to change. It is an ideal species for colonising new land. The problem is that in many archaeological remains, fibres are not preserved and disappear.

The ethnologist W.H. Holmes, from the Smithsonian Institution, confirmed not only the arrival of cannabis with the Vikings, but also its presence in the New World during prehistory, having been transported by both humans and animals via the Bering Strait.

Evidence of its presence is associated with the Mound Builders, pre-Columbian inhabitants of North America dating back to the period between 3,000 BC and the 16th century AD, who lived in the Great Lakes and Mississippi River regions.
They used cannabis for rituals and to make textiles, as shown by the hundreds of pipes and some large pieces of fabric that have been found. When they died, in addition to grave goods, even spools of the hemp thread used to make their fabrics were buried in their tomb along with the body...."

The prehistory of cannabis and ancestral migrations to the New World – Part 2
posted by Martijn on October 17th 2013 via SensiSeeds website blog.

It's a blog...again, take it for what you believe to be true.

Mine against top shelf dispensary weed.

Mine against top shelf dispensary weed.

they don't and people who have grown good quality know that. Oh and to the people who are trying to calculate the cost for 1 plant saying they could make a pound for $50 just quit. I hope that answers your question

Again, I grow Hempy bucket and Lucas formula. It's so cheap and easy, almost foolproof. I recently grabbed a few grams of top shelf from a dispensary. Oh the stuff was awesome! This is how it compares to my own cheap easy cost a few dimes a gram to grow.

Taste. I'm gonna have to say the dispensary weed had a better taste and smelled slightly better. The buds were well trimmed and had a better bag appeal. It was pretty weed. But, my original amnesia is either slightly more potent or just gives me the kind of buzz I want. I don't know. But i like the high better.

Another thing that will bring prices down, is when people just decide to save the dough and learn the benefits of choosing their fav strains. Growing good dank is easy or as hard as you want it to be. I'm sorry, but I do see with continued legalization the price of weed will fall. I am sure there is better weed at the dispensary that I didn't try. at the end of the day, my little cheap and easy to grow is fine to me. And I will try different strains in the future and am sure at some point I will grow something better than the amnesia. Sorry folks. In legal areas prices are going down. For sure. And commercial growers will not make the kind of killing they once could.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If you put 10,000 very large plants on a 10 acre parcel planted like a christmas tree farm and sell them for $100 as come pick your own, that is 1,000,000 in sales say half for costs and half taxable income. The biggest cost after the land is the yearly organic fertilizers and the dog food for watch dogs.
Remember that in the 70's I bought Kgs of sinsemilla Cannabis for $3.00 a Kg, some of the finest in the world, direct from the farmers in Kerala. I could not believe that the price was so cheap, but I paid the real local price at the farm. Less then a third of what I paid in Calif for just a a 3 finger $10 lid of an ounce of commercial Mex. 35 oz in a Kg so the price was about one hundredth of the Calif price per Kg $300. Kerala was not crap and neither will cannabis that is grown by the acre have to be crap, if the focus is quality then it can be done by the acre, organic, bio-dynamically, believe me I know. I have been an organic Bio-dynamic gardener for 45 years used to growing a lot for little costs I am not here to force people to believe me, but I do know it can be done, I am not just saying this to shake people up, it is a fact.
-SamS

thank you monkey5 finally someone with commonsense and those people wanting $50 crap can go somewhere else. As a good grower that's like spitting in there face. Way to much time and effort go into growing primo cannabis.

Dr.King

Veteran
I have been an organic Bio-dynamic gardener for 45 years used to growing a lot for little costs I am not here to force people to believe me, but I do know it can be done, I am not just saying this to shake people up, it is a fact.
-SamS

I am not hating on you but you have still yet to either understand or accept that Cannabis is NOT like other crops we grow in the world. It is going to be a big medication that will be widely used for multiple things. How people do not see this coming is beyond me. That's why the Government is growing so much GMO meds because they want to put out a massive amount with top quality medicine. The Stanley Brothers changed the game with Charlotte's Web. I don't drink btw so I couldn't tell you about wine lol. Was simply pointing out the fact that there are top quality wines, cigars and so on nothing else :).

"...Many people deny all evidence of the existence of hemp in the New World before Christopher Columbus’ arrival. However, there are many examples of fabric, yarn, clothes and bags made of this fibre, which reveal how widespread cannabis was among pre-Columbian indigenous tribes. It was basically used to make fabric, sandals, fishing nets, ropes, mats and baskets, although it was also used in rituals and medicine. (Nowadays the possibilities with hemp are even bigger, such as Bio Fuel made out of hemp, read more, Ed.) Hemp, being a dioecious plant – with separate male and female genders – has a high level of genetic variability, which makes it very adaptable and predisposed to change. It is an ideal species for colonising new land. The problem is that in many archaeological remains, fibres are not preserved and disappear.

The ethnologist W.H. Holmes, from the Smithsonian Institution, confirmed not only the arrival of cannabis with the Vikings, but also its presence in the New World during prehistory, having been transported by both humans and animals via the Bering Strait.

Evidence of its presence is associated with the Mound Builders, pre-Columbian inhabitants of North America dating back to the period between 3,000 BC and the 16th century AD, who lived in the Great Lakes and Mississippi River regions.
They used cannabis for rituals and to make textiles, as shown by the hundreds of pipes and some large pieces of fabric that have been found. When they died, in addition to grave goods, even spools of the hemp thread used to make their fabrics were buried in their tomb along with the body...."

Thanks, I knew I saw that Article somewhere.

Uptown Chill, I'd be happy making 75k-100k a year growing for the rest of my life. People are making millions atm so If prices do fall low I'd be happy with 100k =). I'm not greedy.

Wu-tang

If cannabis is legal world wide the price will drop close to $50 a pound

All the poorest place's in the world are also the best to grow cannabis

The Price of cannabis in Africa in 2015 is 5000 rand (£260) ($410) for 2 kilos (4.4 pounds) and that's swazi gold in a black market? In a legal market it might go for even less

The price is already $50 a pound

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The best place is with tractors and flat land that is fertile with a climate that is good for the variety grown. The cheapest wheat does not come from the poorest countries it is from the USA.
-SamS

If cannabis is legal world wide the price will drop close to $50 a pound

All the poorest place's in the world are also the best to grow cannabis

The Price of cannabis in Africa in 2015 is 5000 rand (£260) ($410) for 2 kilos (4.4 pounds) and that's swazi gold in a black market? In a legal market it might go for even less

The price is already $50 a pound

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Yes a blog from Sinsi Seeds, about the same validity as High Times. The mound builders have not been confirmed to have used Cannabis, no remains have been ID as Cannabis.
and BTW Bio-fuels can be made from hemp seed oil but they cost much more the Gasoline. How many cars are being driven in the world? How many use fuel from hemp seeds?
-SamS

Wu-tang

The best place is with tractors and flat land that is fertile with a climate that is good for the variety grown

Very true but I love Sativa's
you might be able to grow them in America im not to sure but the road is already written

Thi stick (from Thailand)
Swazi gold (from Swaziland)
Nepalese hand rubbed hash
Jamaican lambs breath
Afghan gold
These are already worldwide known "brands"

People buy Nike clothes for the name just like they do for other products in this world and cannabis already has a industry

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Imagine Afghan hash that was made from sinsemilla hash plants, as all dry sifted hash grown in traditional hash producing countries is made from seeded plants.
This is not the best resin as it is from seeded plants, unseeded plants will give more and better resin per acre. I can see Afghan sinsemilla dry sift being made in Calif's central valley, that and if you test the products exported from Afghanistan they are 10-20% THC. Less THC then plants can have easy. Why is that? Why can't they make hash that is twice the THC of the same plants grown sinsemilla? Because they want volume not quality, quality will come back when it is legal. Like it was pre 1970.
The same with Nepal most is rubbed from seeded plants.
It will be easy to improve the old traditional varieties, just start with Sinsemilla, and go from there.
People do like the taste of traditional varieties, they will like the Sinsemilla versions even better. Most can be grown anywhere, if needed a massive green house will allow any variety to be grown with sun and the earth cheaply.
-SamS

Last edited:

Wu-tang

Champagne can be made anywhere in the world but its no longer champagne? Just like Nepalese hash can be made in cali but its no longer Nepalese hash

Brands are strong

And about thc (please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm guessing here)
Thc is determined by genes so if I and someone else was growing the exact same clone?
Him outside in Afghanistan and me in a house with a HPS
the crystal's (resin stalks) will have exactly the same chemical composition so they would both be 18%thc but mine could have more resin heads? Yield more hash?
But individually one of my thc resin heads would be identical to one of his?

And quality is still about

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
50$ a pound, you are stark raving mad. First you can't compare indoors to outdoors. And you forget to factor in your little greenhouse isn't going to produce more than a few grand, maybe, and have you priced soil, and amendments? It will never happen my friend. The plant it in miraclegrow soil and water it theory you are thinking does not result in the same cannabis we here at icmag prefer.

Good laugh though!

Vibes

wow amazing thread ,
gotta agree with a few of the later posts,
cannabis when legal wont be grown by you folks with such expensive set ups and habits ,
as posted already ,
it will be grown where its always been good and always been cheap to grow cannabis ..

and lester maybe you cant compare outdoor and indoor in your climate , but absolutely you can grow as good a product , that actually has a much better high , outdoors ..

Latest posts

Latest posts