What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado marijuana prices see huge drop, drug cartels reeling

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bob Knudsen, Examiner.com 6/23/2015

The good news on marijuana legalization in Colorado keeps rolling in, this time in the form of lower prices for the drug. In fact, in some cases it’s down as much as 40 percent--not bad for any product, let alone the fastest growing industry in the nation. It seems that basic economics are actually true; if you increase supply and reduce regulation it will create a boom market.
A little over a year ago an eighth of an ounce ranged in price anywhere from $40 to $75, depending on the strain and the shop. Now those same eighths are selling for as low as $30, according to the Denver Post on June 22. Some were worried that the steep price decline was a sign of a market crash and perhaps an oversaturation of the market, but those concerned don’t seem to include actual cannabis businesses.
In fact, businesses are still reporting massive growth in sales numbers as long time residents, new transplants, and pot tourists flock to the state by the thousands, fueling a huge economic boom, with all the good and bad that can bring with it. In fact, the biggest problem in Denver right now is that the city is growing so fast right now that nobody can keep up with it. Homes can’t be built fast enough, rents are rising too quickly, and infrastructure is struggling to keep up with a city that could start bursting at the seams soon.
With marijuana prices now dropping like a rock, Colorado's growth rate may actually increase even further as people from states who would rather imprison peaceful potheads and empower drug cartels continue to crack down in increasingly insane ways. Neighboring Oklahoma and Nebraska have filed suits against the Centennial State for having the sense to decriminalize, and Kansas is considering throwing a single mother in jail for life for having Crohn’s disease and using medical marijuana to cope with it. All three of those states growth rates are half as much, or lower, than Colorado’s… but that’s probably unrelated.
The biggest problem facing cannabusiness is currently what to do with all of the money that seems to be falling from the sky. The federal government is still giving banks a hard time about accepting deposits, preferring to erect barriers to the money in order to keep it out of the economy. Meanwhile, the state legislature is also trying to figure out what to do with the the tens of millions of dollars in tax revenue that has overflowed their coffers, though you can be assured they will keep it and waste it if given the chance. They aren’t altogether unreasonable, however, as they are planning to have a one day tax holiday for marijuana sales on September 16, thanks to a loophole that they’ve decided to leave open, and soon after that the sales tax for all marijuana purchases will be permanently reduced to 8 percent. It will be interesting to see what the sales and prices do on that day.
Really, the only people being hurt by the legalization of marijuana are the Mexican drug cartels, who have been experiencing a major drop in business. While the governments of uneducated midwestern states are doing what they can to continue to prop up these violent criminal enterprises, Colorado's massive price drop is probably the biggest blow to them that could be expected. If this trend continues, marijuana will only be profitable for the cartels in states where it’s still illegal, and even there the price reduction will likely be felt.

The downside of Denver.....wonder if it will be reminiscent of
"Tulipmania", economic . In the 1630s a sailor was thrown in a Dutch jail for eating what he thought was an onion. That onion was in fact a tulip bulb. The cost of the sailor’s gluttony was equivalent to the cost of feeding an entire crew for twelve months.
That story is probably not true—no sane person would leave something so valuable for an absent-minded seaman to chew on. But like much about tulipmania, the line between fact and fiction is blurred.
“Tulpenwoede” (tulip madness) resulted in big increases in tulip prices. At the beginning of 1637, some tulip contracts reached a level about 20 times the level of three months earlier. A particularly rare tulip, Semper Augustus, was priced at around 1,000 guilders in the 1620s. But just before the crash, it was valued at 5,500 guilders per bulb—roughly the cost of luxurious house in Amsterdam. Prices collapsed in February 1637—although data here are particularly poor—and a few investors were left bankrupt.

The price swings were not caused by massive changes to production costs. Nor did tulips suddenly become particularly useful. As a result, most people assume that tulipmania was the result of financial market irrationality. That idea was popularised by Charles Mackay, a mid-19th<SUP> </SUP>century Scottish writer. Most modern-day references to tulipmania draw on Mackay’s work. But economic historians provide better explanations for what happened.
Peter Garber blames the general public for the price increases. He reckons that an outbreak of bubonic plague in Amsterdam made people less risk-averse. Dutch city-dwellers knew that each day could be their last—so did not mind indulging in a little speculation. And because gambling was illegal, contracts were unenforceable. If traders misjudged the market, they could just run off without paying.
20131012_woc520_1.jpg

See a trend???

303Medical

Hallelujuah.

Current american cannabis regulations are criminal, promoting small business and crushing innovation.

Quality cannabis SHOULD be going for under 50$ a pound.

Haters gonna hate but that's economics.

My 2 cents peace

Dready_jake

As soon as we can all throw a couple plants in our yard and just water them then the prices would drop to be like that of corn and wheat eventually. (A decent price per ton!)

One day. If these draconian laws don't take us backwards more.

monkey5

Veteran
You are free to sell your work for $50. a pound!!

You are free to sell your work for $50. a pound!!

Hallelujuah.

Current american cannabis regulations are criminal, promoting small business and crushing innovation.

My 2 cents peace
~~ Lol.. You are free to sell your work for $50 a pound!! I grow "fire" ~~ I get mine! Lol.. monkey5

monkey5

Veteran
AND..Any tax raised/taken in by any Government..should not go to them to use..should be used to pay down the National Debt..until we are free from China!! All pot prisoners should be released from any state taking tax from cannabis~~right away! There is my 2 cents for you! monkey5

Hallelujuah.

My 2 cents peace

It is obvious that you have never successfully grown "quality cannabis".

The cost of electricity used to produce one pound is more than $50.

Never mind the cost of equipment, nutes, water and labor.

How about trimming? Have you ever trimmed a pound of "quality cannabis"?

Personally, I won't trim a pound for $50. That would be less than minimum wage for me.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Colorado tax law requires a return to consumers of any tax overage collected.
no wonder they don't know what to do, they've never gotten to this point before.

more sales will provide an income for every resident...

:smoker:

Not sure about $50 a pound. But....

Not sure about $50 a pound. But....

It is obvious that you have never successfully grown "quality cannabis".

The cost of electricity used to produce one pound is more than $50.

Never mind the cost of equipment, nutes, water and labor.

How about trimming? Have you ever trimmed a pound of "quality cannabis"?

Personally, I won't trim a pound for $50. That would be less than minimum wage for me.

I kinda agree with you in a way. But, just growing a plant or two for myself indoors, I did the math. Just 2 plants, fast finishers from high quality strains and high potency genes from a high quality well respected breeder, costs anywhere from a dime to .50 on the highest side per gram. Since this is personal, I did not calculate the 30 minutes labor a week to maintain the plants or the couple of hours it takes to trim several ounces chilling on a Friday night. Since, a personal farmer will probably be sitting on the couch watching tv while doing these things. I only counted consumables; electric, water, nutrients and whatever else will be used and gone. Consider, I do Hempy bucket, 3 or 5 gallon with perlite and vermiculite and I use it over and over so many times indefinitely until it is thrown into some potting soil for a house plant and I have to replace it. I also use Lucas formula, Maxibloom, Cal Mag and PH up. And a package of those might last for years when you grow on a small scale. Tap water costs are also negligible. Utilities are your highest costs and even that is negligible on a small scale.

Point is, I know this has little to compare with commercial growing, but, from a users perspective, why are you going to pay a premium for top shelf when you can grow the same high quality at home for dimes a gram? Do the math bro. You will be shocked. And it's so easy too? $50 a pound seems a little extreme, but on an outdoor farmers scale I am sure that is easily doable and profitable.

shredGnar

Hallelujuah.

My 2 cents peace

Bahahaha. ..maybe YOUR weed should sell for $50 a pound.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Hallelujuah.

My 2 cents peace

How would you accomplish that? Processing would cost more than that unless you machine it, but then it doesn't meet the quality standards you specified.
The water and certs alone would add a chunk of loot also.

Just 4kw of electricity to get 4 units let's say will cost you 1200 to 1500. That alone is 300 to 375 a pound on electricity.

Have you ever grown commercially? If you had you wouldn't be spouting such nonsensical verbage.

Dready_jake

Of course $50 a lb is quite the low ball. But at $100-$150 an ounce and its legal here, is still crazy high.
Especially when a ton of corn costs $167

Like I said growing indoors is more expensive still because were growing with old stadium lights. (Hps)
But if I had a small field/greenhouse in my yard then the cost would be water, nutrients and time.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I don't really care about prices...I grow my own and when I let it go I can do just fine...most weed sucks compared anyhow...yeehaw...cartels have to stick to hard drugs.. I would like to see more cocaine..the shit here is more cut than coke..just sayin

Hallelujuah.

My 2 cents peace

wut

That's not economics; it's total crystal-gripping hippie nonsense. How in the hell could any farmer make a living at that price? Cost of space, food, electricity, labor... is that shit going to be free all of a sudden? And half of that $50 then goes towards taxes? Who is gonna produce this quality cannabis: little quality-cannabis-for-everyone elves working for free?

Why shouldn't a grower be able to make a living farming? Do you see quality strawberries for 10 cents a pound?

Sforza

Veteran
wut

Do you see quality strawberries for 10 cents a pound?

No, but I don't see them going for $50 a pound either. Look at tobacco. That stuff has to be dried and cured. There is a lot of hand work involved. And it goes for less than $50/pound.

https://www.leafonly.com/

When you grow crops on a large scale the cost per unit volume drops. You make a profit by making a small profit on a huge volume.

No one is making beer at home and selling it on the market for a profit.

LOL YEAH! What a deal!

LOL YEAH! What a deal!

Wanna bet?:biggrin: In off the road villages in this state where alcohol is illegal you can get $200-300 for a jug of home brewed beer or pruno.:tiphat:

No doubt I believe you bro. Wish I had those customers paying that and I would quit my job and only brew beer, make wine and mash and distill moonshine. That stuff is as easy as growing weed. I've done all of it to tell the truth and to be honest with you, I don't brew or make moonshine anymore. In small batches it's cheaper just to go to the store and buy it.

But yeah. Some folks make good money doing it. I think it's more About being a good salesman than about quality to tell the truth.

waveguide

Veteran
i guess personal profit is important to some people.

you live in the world you create, don't let it gouge you in the ass with a razor blade hook covered dildo like a total numpty eh.

how much $ does it cost you to have an orgasm? how much for a fake orgasm?

how much does a sack of shit cost?

here's a tough one, how much does five birds flying in the sky cost? or three birds on your doorstep?

fucking more than you can pay, can't have em, no birds for you. we have to maintain our standards of economics!

laugh today, tomorrow comes mr. shafty.

waveguide

Veteran
the coinage we validate is ethical. you can't go out and get it, you have it or you don't. if you ain't holdin then you aint holdin.

some of you are never going to be able to pay our rates, and that's going to be shitty for you, wont it.

*tiphat*