What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana ‘hash oil' explosions on rise

Thomas Paine

Veteran
Increasing number of hash oil explosions in Bay Area a 'dangerous' trend

Some of you act like I am writing these stories and putting them in the news.

I am not, it is all of you that are doing it.

Please stop blowing up houses, apartment buildings, backyards, your children, your friends, your pets and your loved ones.

-----------

Bay City News Service / San Jose Mercury News
Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc.

The process of extracting so-called "hash oil" from marijuana plants appears to be an explosive trend that is posing a threat to residents as "do-it-yourself" methods gain popularity in the Bay Area.

In the past month two hash oil explosions were reported in Santa Cruz. A third incident occurred last Friday in Fremont. Earlier this year, a Santa Rosa explosion injured a teenage boy.

More than two years ago, a 35-year-old man died after he and his roommates, a male and female couple, were making hash oil at a home in Livermore.

The explosion on May 21, 2011, killed Paul Lom and caused $350,000 in damage to the apartment building where the drug was being manufactured.

The couple has since pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter and accessory charges in connection with Lom's death.

Although other incidents have not been as lethal, the use of butane to extract the highly coveted product poses dangerous threats to anyone nearby.

A 29-year-old man was severely burned when the extraction went wrong at his home in Santa Cruz Oct. 9.

The front windows were blown out of the home and the man appeared to have been working out of the bathroom, which was also damaged.

Two dogs at the home were also burned.

About 10 days before that incident, three men in a Santa Cruz apartment were severely burned and suffered life-threatening injuries because of a hash oil explosion.

The Sept. 29 explosion was sparked by a pilot light in a water heater near where the men were using butane to extract the usually gummy yellow-orange substance. The explosion led to a one-alarm fire and blew out the wall near the water heater.

The "DIY" practice is gaining notoriety online with YouTube videos and other tutorials providing directions to make the attainable oil.

A 15-year-old boy in Santa Rosa was found making the concentrated cannabis product with 43 pounds of loose-leaf marijuana in August.

In the most recent incident in Fremont last Friday, an explosion and a one-alarm fire was reported at a laundry room at a house.

A 20-year-old man and a juvenile female were burned after the hash oil operation lead to the explosion.

The U.S. Fire Administration in February released an advisory to fire and emergency personnel throughout the country about the increase of hash oil explosions.

In the advisory on its website, officials said "the extraction method appears to be more common on the West Coast."

It continued, "In states with legalized use and availability of medical marijuana, these incidents appear to be increasing."

Federal officials said the ensuing explosions and fires are often misidentified as pipe bombs or meth lab explosions.

Fire officials urged first responders receive training about hash oil extractions.

Cmdr. Mario Sulay with the Santa Cruz County Anti-Crime Team, which operates a narcotics enforcement taskforce, said the practice of using highly flammable butane is "a danger to individuals and to neighbors."

He said the dense gas collects in a room until it meets an ignition source.

He said it doesn't help that many of these operations are done in poorly ventilated areas such as basements, bathrooms and laundry rooms.

"In operations like this they try to hide their activity," he said.

The commander said people will buy multiple cases of butane, and if neighbors see the large amount of canisters it is usually an indicator of the illegal practice.

"If this trend continues," he said, "there will be pushes for legislation to control" butane purchases.

He said the butane process is growing because it "maximizes the product" and extracts the tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, from plants that previously would have been considered low-grade and thrown away.

He said so far this year there have been six cases of hash oil explosions reported in Santa Cruz County, which is up from any other year.

He said the labs are simple to create, especially when compared to the more sophisticated intricacies and supplies needed for a methamphetamine lab.

"It's very minimal," he said. "With easily obtained items. Compared to a meth lab, it's not a lot of labor involved."

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, butane is available over the counter in 8-ounce cans. Typically a whole can is used in one extraction.

Other extraction materials include isopropyl, or rubbing, alcohol, glass dishes and coffee filters.

Sulay said his department, along with other law enforcement agencies, is trying to publicize the hazards of making hash oil at home.

He said the consequences are apparent when people read about life-threatening burns and blown out windows and walls.

There also needs to be education for law enforcement personnel themselves. They need to "know how to look for and how to properly handle it," Sulay said.

Sulay said his goal is to "interdict something before something bad happens."

John Sugg, president of the Sonoma Patient Group, a medical marijuana dispensary in Santa Rosa, said they sell hash oil, sometimes called "honey oil," but only concentrates made with carbon dioxide.

He said inert gases like carbon dioxide are non-explosive unlike butane.

"Using carbon dioxide is safer method," he said. Safer yet would involve making the product outdoors instead of the common practice of staying in a closed-off environment.

He said the process usually involves filling a cylindrical tube with marijuana and pouring butane from the top.

The oil comes out of the bottom and the various nicknames for the drug are based on its consistency and color. He said the "oil" is a solid or waxy substance at room temperatures and liquefies with heat.

"No matter how safe you are, if there is something like a water heater or pilot light or static electricity, that can set off that explosion," Sugg said.

He said, "I call it the exploding hippie phenomenon."

He urged people to "avoid blowing themselves up," although he noted the illegal practice is not as dangerous as a meth lab.

Sugg believes the oil is becoming more popular because of its high market value. A gram of the oil can sell for as much as $60.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...number-hash-oil-explosions-bay-area-dangerous

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Some of you act like I am writing these stories and putting them in the news.

I am not, it is all of you that are doing it.

Please stop blowing up houses, apartment buildings, backyards, your children, your friends, your pets and your loved ones.

It's hardly any of us who're doing it.

It's some individuals, who generally:
(a) are linked to commercial producers and dealers
(b) have no idea about chemistry or lab safety,
AND MOST OF ALL
(c) choose to make BHO despite of their ignorance

they make up the tiny minority of ICMag users.

I'm not saying you're making up the stories but clearly you have some personal issue which is why you're reposting BHO related stories here so you can accuse people of making "crackabis".

Why not read some positive Cannabis news? or just take some time out from lookin for BHO news?

How about a cease-fire?
You have a week without searching for BHO stories and I promise I won't blow anything up for a week. We can see how we feel at the end.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I too will refrain from using ANY butane, except out of a BIC for one week. Please take the time to READ "Common Sense"

:joint:

positivity

Veteran
Yawn. I wish religion never came around. Tried it once and felt like a crackhead with all kinds of paranoid lies running around my head. Threw away the propaganda never went back to church and feel much more content with life.

I have purchased 5 gal and 20 gal sets of bubble bags and the product is nothing close to winterized and vac purged BHO.

Didn't even realize I was gonna get blasted by a few for my thoughts on bho. Guess I should of known..uh duh

I don't even like bubble that much. Don't like wasting. Joints and vape for me. Guess I'm a fanboy because I brought it up.

Just premature ejaculation/escalation of marijuana potency to me. People blowing themselves up versus a more innocent version it once was. I just really want to see the herb legalized and don't like shit getting in the way.

It is what it is and it's here to stay. Take a dab for me..lol

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Didn't even realize I was gonna get blasted by a few for my thoughts on bho. Guess I should of known..uh duh

I don't even like bubble that much. Don't like wasting. Joints and vape for me. Guess I'm a fanboy because I brought it up.

Just premature ejaculation/escalation of marijuana potency to me. People blowing themselves up versus a more innocent version it once was. I just really want to see the herb legalized and don't like shit getting in the way.

It is what it is and it's here to stay. Take a dab for me..lol

Taking a dab and then coming back to respond... :D

WOW dabs of oil are AWESOME.

Didn't mean to tilt you so much. Just saying that top grade BHO smashes full melt bubble.

I love it all, but grab some winterized BHO and you'll know.

PS The taking of that dab required NO BUTANE I used a titanium nail and vaporized my BHO.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
No no no, just fuckin NO.

Don't ever try it, it is so fucking addictive.

just forget about it, the shit sux.

I hurt some people really bad, and had to go to jail. Then rehab for 30 days and 3 years probation...

I was drug tested all the time, but couldn't stop smoking weed, it was too hard, so i was introduced to "blends" and synthetics (blends are the name for them when they are sprayed on smokable herbs).

However, they are so much stronger and so much faster than weed, that after i got off probation I kept smoking them, the weed didn't even work anymore, and I ended up hopelessly addicted.

I lost over 3 years of my life to that crap. It is a depressive, nodding-out all day junky dope stone.

Don't fuck with them, please I am begging you forget about them.

Bullshit all day long. I don't believe you...your story

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
disengenuous much?

disengenuous much?

it's a bit difficult to nail down when you act this way.
be safe everyone.:ying:

Thomas Paine

Veteran
HomeNewsStory Print Email Fortuna hash lab explosion injures 2: Police investiga

HomeNewsStory Print Email Fortuna hash lab explosion injures 2: Police investiga

Fortuna hash lab explosion injures 2: Police investigating Monday night apartment blast

The Times-Standard
POSTED: 11/13/2013 01:59:07 AM PST
UPDATED: 2 days ago

A blast that rocked a Fortuna neighborhood Monday night was traced back to an exploding hash lab, police said Tuesday.

The Fortuna Police Department reported receiving numerous 911 calls at about 10 p.m. Monday, all reporting an explosion at an apartment complex in the 100 block of 12th Street, with one caller even saying a hash lab had exploded, according to a press release.

Arriving officers found two men with severe burns to their upper torsos, arms and heads, according to the release. The men, identified as Kenneth Nevers of Fortuna, CA, and Joseph White of Oakland, CA, were taken to Redwood Memorial Hospital before being airlifted out of the area for treatment.

Officers were able to locate several subjects who claimed they were in the apartment at the time of the explosion, including one with a 3-month-old infant. The additional subjects were uninjured, according to the release.

While checking the apartment, officers found items consistent with a butane process hash extraction lab, according to the release, and determined the explosion's origin to be in an apartment bathroom.

The investigation is ongoing.

http://www.times-standard.com/news/...-lab-explosion-injures-2-police-investigating

Thomas Paine

Veteran
Bullshit all day long. I don't believe you...your story

I don't live for you, and have nothing to prove.

I am quite embarrassed about my blend usage - I haven't been this honest even with my friends.

Hopefully I can plant a seed that will someday bear fruit in someones heart and mind.

pictures removed

Now fuck off.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Ya hear that Boyz??? Tommy Spice Head Says FUCK OFF!!!

I think maybe that's His current stash, and He's back in it.

I hope so and He fucking eats a gun.J/k,,,, NOT!!!

1TT

DemonPigeon

Veteran
I don't live for you, and have nothing to prove.

I am quite embarrassed about my blend usage - I haven't been this honest even with my friends.

Hopefully I can plant a seed that will someday bear fruit in someones heart and mind.

View Image

View Image

Now fuck off.

You know that spice/blends and BHO have nothing in common though?

As in one is a Cannabis extract, the other is just a mix of random chemicals that get you high some of which are a similar "shape" to THC mixed up and sprayed over chopped up plants.

BHO is only bad when made badly, so you can't really say that all BHO or BHO users/makers are bad, just that some are.

P.S. It's a shame you didn't take the week off like I suggested, I'd already started not blowing things up! ;)

supermanlives

Veteran
boom there goes another oil head. lol. that synthetic stuff is shit and they keep changing the formulas and a lot is Chinese. sorry I don't trust shady Chinese folks in labs with my health.my weed is organic and my oil is potent enough .go ahead an smoke them chems enjoy it man its your life.whats the shelf life of butane ? I might need to stock up before its regulated. such a paine in the ass lol. I do mostly alcohol nowadays and my next still will be capable of supplying my alcohol to lower the cost a bit I hope

Last edited:

Thomas Paine

Veteran
I am removing my stupid "Spice" pictures in 72 hours.

I feel that any mention of the poison, be it in words or pictures, ends up giving the wrong people ideas and I want nothing to do with idiots seeking this crap out.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
People don't come to ICmag to figure out how to buy spice form the gas station or head shop. Have no fear you are not creating any new spice users.

Your posted articles, may help an ICmager from blowing up his house. And if you really want to help them not blow up their houses you should link them to a few Gray Wolf threads, so that they can learn there are safe ways to make BHO.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
People don't come to ICmag to figure out how to buy spice form the gas station or head shop. Have no fear you are not creating any new spice users.

Your posted articles, may help an ICmager from blowing up his house. And if you really want to help them not blow up their houses you should link them to a few Gray Wolf threads, so that they can learn there are safe ways to make BHO.

Does GreyWolf sell His units?
They have to be pricey, if so.
I haven't searched for his early smaller models, but His 4, and 5 are crazy COOL.

Peace; 1TT

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
He licenses them to a manufacturing firm, and NO the cost of units are VERY reasonable. Around $1,500 for the unity, another $1,000 for pumps, hoses, and containment vessels. $2.5K and you are up and running with the best BHO equipment money can buy.

Thomas Paine

Veteran
You know how we all think it's cool to smash down a 1 gram, 2 gram or even 5 gram dabs (or at least attempt it)?

Here is something even funner !

Heat you nail up real good, drop a 2 gram dab in, and hand it to your mother to huff down. Or better yet, give the hit to your pre-teen sister that has never smoked.

After all, it's medicine and there is nothing dangerous at all about it - right?.

It will be a blast as you watch them overdose and beg you to take them to the hospital.

Fun Fun Fun !

DemonPigeon

Veteran
You know how we all think it's cool to smash down a 1 gram, 2 gram or even 5 gram dabs (or at least attempt it)?

Here is something even funner !

Heat you nail up real good, drop a 2 gram dab in, and hand it to your mother to huff down. Or better yet, give the hit to your pre-teen sister that has never smoked.

After all, it's medicine and there is nothing dangerous at all about it - right?.

It will be a blast as you watch them overdose and beg you to take them to the hospital.

Fun Fun Fun !

You can't overdose from Cannabis, that's been proven by lab tests, injecting multiple grams of pure THC has failed to kill animals, let alone humans.

I'm not saying you wont be paranoid for a hour or so but it's not going to hurt you.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Also,,, 1grm Dab,,,,, WTF???? I don't have access to good oil ATM but Superman could not do a 1gr. Dab. FUCKING IDIOT!!!

A wise Man speaks because He has something to say.
A FOOL speaks because He has to say something.

Shouldn't You know more than Butane is flammable to go on a crusade like this?

So very typical of Prohibitionist's, throughout history.

Peace; 1TT

Latest posts

Latest posts