What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help deciding where to grow

Pot-enthused13

I am a long time lurker on this site, I have learned a lot and have a lot of respect for everyone here as well. I would like to ask for people's opinions on my two options to set up a new grow space.

I live in the hot, humid part of the US, where I have completed two grows, both indoors in organic soil under a combination of LEDs and CFLs in a grow tent 2x3x6. I grew blue mystic and yielded just under and just over 50 gr from the grows respectively. Perfect for my personal use, and I would like to continue this level of output.

I just moved so current situation is a new house where ambient indoor temps are 75 F and 40% RH. If I were to set something up inside I would need to build a room with at least one hole in the ceiling to vent exhaust. I think I could get away with pulling air into the room using passive inlets and just an exhaust fan with scrubber. Is this realistic? Is the RH too low?

My other option would be to build an insulated cabinet inside my detached shed with a window ac built into the side of the cab. I wouldn't build the cab any larger than 4x4x7 foot. Since it would technically be sealed would I need to supplement with C02? Could I just add some passive vents to replenish air instead? Or would there be enough air leaking in and out to replenish?

I keep going back and forth between the two options, weighing pros and cons. Any one that would care to share their insight, opinion or experience will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
welcome to ic mag as a member :D

you first option should work, just get a bit of over capacity for trimming and hot days. but yeah if the room is relatively well sealed the exhaust can be enough to suck in fresh air through passive vents. specially with led or cfl you can get away without a huge amount of exhaust and intake.

your plants will quickly start producing moisture, wouldn't worry about too dry, but there are humidifiers that are very efficient for the first few days till there is enough plant matter to produce enough moisture.

Koondense

Veteran
For personal use you probably won't need more than a 80x80cm tent with an air cooled 315cmh light inside. Or go with leds(cobs or so called quantum boards) for even less heat output.
RH will rise inside the room so I wouldn't worry about that.
Passive inlet is good but I suggest to put some kind of particle filter on it.

Cheers

Pot-enthused13

Thank you both for your thoughts.

Am I right in assuming building and setting up indoors would be better than trying to do something in my shed?

Defacto

Thank you both for your thoughts.

Am I right in assuming building and setting up indoors would be better than trying to do something in my shed?

The big advantage is you are already conditioning the air indoors. Insulating and heating another space costs more.

DTOM420

I would go with your first option - make use of the existing HVAC. 40% humidity would definitely be a problem, especially during veg but, as others have said, you’ll see a rise in humidity once you start growing and you could always leave a container of water in the room to help increase humidity. You’ll have no problem reaching 50-55% in your tent.

Hope this helps and happy growing!

Latest posts

Latest posts