What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Starke's Story: An LED Tale

El Tigre

Hey Starke, nice show! Big things here, that panel seems to be very potent. I agree better to keep an eye to eventually bleaching leaves.
Why you went with 5 plants instead of 6 for example? Legal number or a technical choice?:tiphat:

starke

Welcome El Tigre. Went with five instead of six to make it a little easier to get to the underside of the two rear plants in case I put up a Scrog. The way my tent sits in my room I do not have access to the rear windows/inspection ports above the rear plants. Since I only grow for personal and family use, I'm not worried about the lost yield. Actually thought about only doing four, but then greed kicked in. :canabis:

starke

Pulled the girls out this morning to inspect for light burn and a little LST. Below are pics of each plant taken outside in natural sunlight. Plant #3 is in the center position in the tent and would be most subject to light burn. All opinions appreciated.

Plant 1:

Plant 2:

Plant 3:

Plant 4:

Plant 5:

Last edited:

starke

Did a little LST.

(Deleted five redundant photos 7/11)

Peace,
starke

Last edited:

saitama

Definitely light burn, IMHumbleO. Raise the light up higher or get some greenhouse film and a PAR meter. You can see the light burn in the corners of the other plants that are toward the center.

Even with my dimming unit, I am still having this issue myself.

starke

Once I got them outside in natural light I thought that was what I might be seeing also. Big thanks for the heads up saitama. Any recommendations on a PAR meter?

saitama

I'm just using a cheap (by comparison) hydrofarm unit. If you get one, make sure it is around 2000 umols in afternoon sun. My first one was 2400umols in the sun and was defective. Good luck man this thing is a beast to tame. I ended up turning her up because I was losing density in my outer buds and I'm still getting bleaching.

El Tigre

Welcome El Tigre. Went with five instead of six to make it a little easier to get to the underside of the two rear plants in case I put up a Scrog. The way my tent sits in my room I do not have access to the rear windows/inspection ports above the rear plants. Since I only grow for personal and family use, I'm not worried about the lost yield. Actually thought about only doing four, but then greed kicked in. :canabis:
ahah seems legit man!
I also agree, looks like the LEDs are bleaching a little your plants.
I've experienced in a small scale and I suggest to react quick if you can. For my limited experience CalMag could help.

starke

Just put a tape on the light height and discovered the girls had grown to where there was only 26 inches between the tops and the lenses. Moved the light back up to 36 inches. Did a little more LST and also rotated the plants to different positions to try and help even out exposure to the center COBs. Hopefully this will alleviate some of the light burn.

Last edited:

starke

Weekly Update

Weekly Update

Time for the weekly update. Nothing really noteworthy to report. The girls have responded well to the LST and are busy growing out additional future bud sites. Lowered the feed to about 800ppm/.5 scale. KISS at one teaspoon per gallon with my well water is about 1400ppm/.5. (My water runs 140 – 160ppm/.5 by itself. Girls are still happy so I’ll leave the feed at 800ppm unless or until the girls show me otherwise. Here’s the latest weekly comparison pics. Enjoy.

One week ago:

Today:

Peace,
starke

Last edited:
Hey starke your girl are growing fast !!! I looked up your light and I wanted to know what brand and model are the cobs in your lights like brand and model , I'll be tagging along for the ride if you don't mind , FSG.

Hey starke , thanks for the link , I read it and it looks lik they are using Luna 100 cobs , it sound very good on paper , I like their light but don't agree on their lens choice when using without other lights overlap ( on its own ) i will stay tuned to see how they perform thanks FSG.

starke

Time for a small change in plans. My better half has decided she REALLY likes Super Lemon Haze. She decided this fact after I had already cloned and set this current grow up to be Hawaiian Snow. So what’s a loving husband to do? Yep…gonna flower the mom. Mom was root bound in a 2 liter Pepsi bottle in FFOF. Past due for a foliage and root trim and repot.

Pulled her out of the Pepsi bottle and took the hose to her. Rinsed as much of the soil mixture out of her roots as possible, then repotted in a three gallon Hempy Bucket. Going to give her a half strength feed, some defol and a little LST. Then she will join her Hawaiian Snow sisters in the tent. Going to get a little crowded in the 5x5 with six plants. Assuming she survives – should be interesting to see how she looks at the next weekly update on Saturday. Ain't love grand?

Peace,
starke

starke

After some LST, branch wrangling and trimming she is ready for the tent. Definitely looks like the ugly duckling compared to her pretty sisters. Hopefully she will be a beautiful swan in the end. :peacock:

saitama

Latest posts

Latest posts